Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifacts, Pedestals, and Museums  (Read 2170 times)

Ralgor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifacts, Pedestals, and Museums
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 11:52:00 am »

Forget pedestals.  I want to be able to put the heads (or maybe full impalement) of my vanquished foes on spears and set them outside my fortress to scare other would-be nuisances away (and probably the traders too).
The dwarven equivalent of barbed wire:<BR>This is a finely-crafted Pig tail rope.  It is made from exceptional pig tail cloth.  This object menaces with spikes of green glass.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ralgor:
<STRONG>Forget pedestals.  I want to be able to put the heads (or maybe full impalement) of my vanquished foes on spears and set them outside my fortress to scare other would-be nuisances away (and probably the traders too).</STRONG>

Goblins can do it to old adventurers, why not us?

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

I deffinetaly think that these pedestals would be a great idea.

I wouldn't want it limited to only artefact quality items, because I want to have my hall of skulls, but the idea is deffinetaly a good one.

I think a simple way of it working would be that you build a 'pedestal building' which would require one block and one 'mountable object'.

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 09:35:00 pm »

1.) Make dwarves attend parties at museums more often if they have a higher aesthetic sensitivity.

2.) Make pedestals furniture, but also trap components. Set them to trigger when a non-dwarf/ non-trapavoid removes the item on it. I wanna rain lava on anyone who dares disturb my artifact wooden sock.

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.
It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 05:20:00 am »

Wooden.... sock....

That was one perverted dwarf.  If it doesn't have 4 layers of metal/stone and isn't encrusted with gems, it's just not dwarven.

Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

Pedestals for display would add a ton of flavor. I'm in favor of not limiting the pedestals to artifacts or masterworks. I think using the trade depot search screen would work well for selecting the items to display. Perhaps include an option for adding a mechanism to do nasty things to thieves. Think Raiders of the Lost Ark opening sequence. Season to taste with spikes, guard animals, or lava.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 12:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Silveron:
<STRONG>Pedestals for display would add a ton of flavor. I'm in favor of not limiting the pedestals to artifacts or masterworks. I think using the trade depot search screen would work well for selecting the items to display. Perhaps include an option for adding a mechanism to do nasty things to thieves. Think Raiders of the Lost Ark opening sequence. Season to taste with spikes, guard animals, or lava.</STRONG>

Is that an or I see? Not very Dwarvenly. REAL dwarves would have an 'and' there.

I imagine there would be a fortress build with something similar to the Aladdin lamp sequence.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Thassa:
<STRONG>Wooden.... sock....
</STRONG>

If there isn't a thread on bizarre artifacts, I'm gonna start one. I though my turtle-shell flute was pretty odd, but a wooden sock?.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>

Is that an or I see? Not very Dwarvenly. REAL dwarves would have an 'and' there.

I imagine there would be a fortress build with something similar to the Aladdin lamp sequence.</STRONG>

I like the fact that the lava would kill the guard animals.  It makes it delightfully over the top.  Plus, you have a chance that the thief could get mauled by a flaming elephant...  or that the flaming elephant could break out of the room and slaughter half your fortress as the rest is flooded by lava.  Which is, without a doubt, the Dwarf Fortress way.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]