Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d Mac] Trouble with names  (Read 815 times)

otakd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40d Mac] Trouble with names
« on: March 19, 2009, 03:22:37 pm »

Hi everyone- I'm not at all sure what this issue stems from but I'll try to describe it as well as I can-

Each round I've played so far, and it's been a couple dozen, has resulted in an identical issue about the time population gets up around 40-50. Dwarves will apparently 'share' identities, i.e., when I assign a bed/room, two dwarves will be assigned to it. It's not random, in that the 'shared' dwarves will be consistently paired up. One or two of my little fellas won't even be accessible from the (u)nit screen at this point, and accessing these particular dwarves by (v)iewing them on-screen leads into their partner's information. This whole situation seems to apply as equally to animals as it does to dwarves.

I'm really at a loss at this point- if you've dealt with this before just link me there- thanks a lot!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: [40d Mac] Trouble with names
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:12:17 am »

Did you check if the dwarves are married?  Married dwarves will share bedrooms.  If they aren't married, then it's a bug.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

otakd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:13:22 pm »

It's not a marriage issue as far as I can tell, but thanks for the suggestion. There's an issue with the unit list directly- this has taken place even in previous fixes within release 40. Has no one else encountered this?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »

What information is there to indicate that the "invisible" dwarf exists -- can they be seen in any sense?

otakd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:40:37 pm »

They'll be listed, but inaccessible in any practical sense: selecting the dwarf in question from the (u)nit screen results in the selection of another dwarf. I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember this happening with animals a couple times as well. Like I mentioned earlier, though, the pairs are consistent: If Dwarf A is masked (so to speak) by Dwarf B now, he will be again next time I try to select him.

Um, it might be worth it for me to just start up a new round and post a few shots, this is a hell of a lot harder to explain than I anticipated... but it's a real pain and I'd like to at least identify it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 09:54:56 am »

If two dwarves (A and B) are occupying the same tile and Dwarf A is lying down while Dwarf B is standing up, zooming to Dwarf A will automatically select Dwarf B, you then have to move through the other creatures occupying the tile (by pressing [v]) until you reach the one you want.  Annoying, but not a bug.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur