Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I translate / modify some parts of the DF menue myself?  (Read 1142 times)

Herr Prochnow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Facebook

I'm just a newbie to this forum. Hello.   :-\

My primary language is german, and the game would be much easier for me to play if I could simply rename (translate) some aspects of the menue myself.

A german translation of the main menue already exists:
http://www.larp-heer.de/dfdeutsch3.htm
So I can print it out and put it on my table... Héhéhé...

Is it possible to rename these parts myself?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Can I translate / modify some parts of the DF menue myself?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:16:07 pm »

I'm fairly certain you can't. It's hardcoded. You can mess with what keys are used in the menu, but I'm 99% sure you can't mess with the menu text.

Start up a petition or something in the suggestions forum to put the menu text in the raws so it can be edited and translated by fans.

Herr Prochnow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:06:53 pm »

Thank you very much for your reply. I was thinking that myself, but I thought there might be a tool arround to modify the text in the menue.

It took me some time to find out how to changes the key display in the menue (interface.txt, that's very usefull for people with a non-US keyboard) but I manged that already... ;)

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:24:48 pm »

It would require patching the dwarf fortress executable, either the file or the running game.

It's possible but not practical.  Especially since the changes would have to be done again for each new release.  And the actual locations are different each time.

Even worse, the in-game character set is not 1252, so the text strings could not be copied from that link you posted.  I think it's 437 (IBM extended ASCII) but I am not sure.

Is anyone aware of translation utilities that automate this kind of task?  I have never done i18n without source, but I can kind of see that it is possible.  Extremely hard though.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:03:03 pm »

I figured out a good way to do this last night, and worked on it this morning.

Try this: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=913