Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prince of Persia - Which one do I want?  (Read 1913 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prince of Persia - Which one do I want?
« on: March 19, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »

I just bought 3 Prince of Persia titles for 10 euros (altogether, not each).

I bet there is probably one among them I will really enjoy, and at least one that is total and utter crap. At least I remember yahtzee said something about one of the recent parts being alright, while the rest are ... bad. And mostly I agree with him.

Anyways, what I got here is:

Sands of time
Warrior within
the two thrones

Seein that the last part I played was the first one ever made, I guess I'll need some help here.

Which one do I want to play? Which one is the shiny one with crappy gameplay? (there has GOT to be one like that  ;D)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Prince of Persia - Which one do I want?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:12:36 pm »

Sands of Time is the best one IMHO.
The rest are allright, but SoT is awesome.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 12:30:18 pm »

sweet :) its the first one I installed, too.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:49:51 pm »

HOLY CRAP oO

Are you serious? this is like playing tomb raider, just with less boobs and a MUCH more horrible camera behaviour. I cant believe it, i just got a sore neck, just from the frustration the camera gave me... My muscles just cramped from the reflex of turning my head around, because the camera is such a bitch to move....

This game will need to offer A LOT to make up for that horrible horrible camera.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:03:26 pm »

I played it on GameCube, so I wouldn't know.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:05:31 pm »

I found the camera to be perfectly alright myself.
Rundown:
Sands of Time: the most polished and the simplest of the three.  Minimalist but very good story.  Primitive but functional graphics compared to the next two.
Warrior Within: fun new features but rough around the edges compared to the first (a high standard) as theres some bugs and poor design choices.  Some bosses are pointless, and the expanded combat is cool, but not really important.  Decent execution of a mediocre story premise.
Two Thrones: More fun new features, and mostly pretty good ones (but chariots?  wtf?).  Gameplay not as polished as first, but more polished then the second.  The pieces were there for an awesome conclusion to the storyline of the trilogy, but they botched it with a great idea, but horrible execution.

Recommendation: If you've already got all three, play the first.  If you like the first, try the second.  Don't judge the second on the early bossfights (which frankly suck), but if you don't like the other aspects of the second, skip to the third and give that a try.  Every title has different things going for it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:06:18 pm »

Guess Ill have to try with the controller, luckily I got one, but what makes you think the gc version had a different camera control?

But yeah, my first thought was "its probably bearble when NOT played with the keyboard and mouse"

edit: and actually, I dont care so much for story in a jump and run. I care for jumping and running.
The other day I was playing some 2d platformer and thought "hey, I need to play one of those games again" and when I came across prince of persia fo cheapz I thought it was the right decision.

But right now I wish I had bought some earthworm jim game  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:08:33 pm by Puck »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 01:08:19 pm »

I have only played them with a controller myself.  It seems to me like the controller is really well suited to this game.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 01:22:30 pm »

I found the camera to be perfectly alright myself.
Waiwhat? Like 20 seconds in the game, there is a gap. A rather wide one, I might add, so I figure I aim for the ledge carefully and jump off in the last moment possible.

too bad, 2 pixels before that the camera decides to go into SUPER AWESOME ANGLE MODE. nice, I can watch the prince trip and go "WHOA" in front of the ledge. Took me three more tries to get the guy to actually jump. Which I had to do before the camera decides to be a bitch, so in fact it was anything less than a perfect jump. total distance -1 metres, just because I needed to avoid the camera cut -.-

Alright, I guess I can stomach that (too bad it does it every other second because it decides LOOK HERE THAT VIEW IS SO AWESOME!), but then there is the turning thing. I can run around, tilt and shift the camera with the mouse just fine. No really, it's actually really comfortable... but just you wait til the imaginary camera touches a solid surface. Mouse sensibility -99% all of a sudden, I kid you not.

It's a pain, really. - Full of bad design choices. Seriously, doesnt anybody THINK these days anymore? There are obviously thousands of ways which could solve the problems at hand a lot better than they did there.

When I play with a controller, hopefully the problems will be alleviated (because I wont need to spin it around to make use of my limited 8 directions i get from WASD controls), but how you guys can enjoy a game with a camera as stubborn as this one is... that's just beyond me.

edit: also, while the "wall run" is nice, i think it would be nicer if you wouldnt actually need the move on every other obstacle just to complete the friggin introduction level  :o seriously, I get it, the move is nice. No need to force me to use it 100 times in a row just so I can appreciate it  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 01:31:55 pm by Puck »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 01:45:40 pm »

It's too hard because you didn't get it your first try?  I didn't make that jump my first try, or second try.  But I was quickly able to do jumps like that no problem.

Does sound like keyboard is a bad choice though.  Second stick is very nice to have for camera.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 01:51:51 pm »

The problem is not that I didnt make the jump on the first try. When he finally jumped (and not stopped in his tracks going WHOA) I DID make it in one try. The problem is the view switching DIRECTLY on the perfect take off spot.

I mean... level designers wanking over their pretty creation is one thing, but please for the love of super mario make that switch when the guy is already MIDAIR and unable to change the direction. And not before that.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:58:39 pm »

My memory might be incorrect here, but don't these games usually have a rule where if you keep holding the same direction when the camera changes, you keep going the same way (even if the angle would imply a different direction)?  As long as you have the timing down in your head, that feature makes it easy...you don't have to adjust your controller at all.  And once you get used to it, it actually makes you the player feel more awesome, because you're taking PART in a cinematic, instead of it just happening to you while you jump.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 02:07:15 pm »

I only played Two Thrones and the new one with no subname so it makes it REALLY CONFUSING. But ugh.

Two Thrones, I have no complaints about the camera. Then again, I played it A LONG FUCKING TIME AGO. So I wouldn't know.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 02:10:57 pm »

I remember playing all the way through sands without much in the way problems. Don't remember any camera changes annoying me.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 02:28:35 pm »

My memory might be incorrect here, but don't these games usually have a rule where if you keep holding the same direction when the camera changes, you keep going the same way (even if the angle would imply a different direction)? 
Yes, that's how it works. And I really think it's a bad idea doing it in a jump and run. It's just stupid to do that around ledges and large drops and what not. edit; for instance with the jump I mentioned: the angle changes EXACTLY where the take off point is, so there is no real way of really aiming for it. you lose some milliseconds because your eyes and your brain have to adapt to the new image and the ledge youre aiming at moved across the screen.

So basically what you can realistically expect in such a situation is just... memorizing to hammer the jump button right when the angle changes, but that only works AFTER you experienced the weirdness. You cannot know the angle will change the first time you get there, so you cannot prepare for that.

So basically ...
1) Run up to ledge, while aiming for takeoff...
2) Build muscle tension in the jumping finger
3) Watch camera flip the view and
4) be puzzled about the new location of the ledge long enough to mess up the timing.

it IS counterproductive if youre going for a straight playthrough, its bound to make you screw up and require you to train a situation you otherwise could have solved flawlessly. Well, at least this is what happens when they put the friggin trigger right on the sweetspot of some maneuver.

If they factor in those milliseconds you will need to find your spot in the new scene, then its fine. but right on the sweetspot its turdtastic. Well maybe they just screwed up this trigger in the first level, but i seriously doubt it.

Anybody played the first 3d super mario on the n64? That'S a camera that WORKS.

didnt change view during the scenes, only before and after. not in the middle of a friggin takeoff. you only needed to tap the c buttons once in a while to adjust the view, but you RARELY ever had to.

that feature makes it easy...you don't have to adjust your controller at all.  And once you get used to it, it actually makes you the player feel more awesome, because you're taking PART in a cinematic, instead of it just happening to you while you jump.
I stongly disagree here. The whole game is built around "point controller where you want to go" ie absolute movement control and I dont want it to change it to relative controls based on some arbitrary rules. On top of that, if I let go of the stick for a millisecond after a view change, I'm back to absolute controls.

Since the absolute control scheme is automatically wired into my brain in the first few seconds (as it's the standard way of contolling the guy) I cannot supress the reflex to point the stick in the new required direction after a view change... every way of countering that will effectively make me lose reaction time.

Remember the NES days? there were games that required you to be a friggin jedi to complete them. 3 lifes, and whatever scarcely placed 1 ups you came across were all you had. no reloads. no continues. no saves. just 8 hours of muscle straining 8 bit torture. If they had pulled that viewpoint change on us just like that in games as difficult as that...

well, we still would have played it, but at least we would have complained properly :D

I mean, just watch the works in the player's head after such a camera change, no way around it, it WILL make the brain lose time. and the only way to keep the game fair is cutting the player more slack.

Kids these days  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:06:53 pm by Puck »
Pages: [1] 2