Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)  (Read 21889 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, Primary Phase
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 12:13:34 pm »

((cue music“Journey of the Sorcerer”))
The Regular Early Morning Yell of Horror...
"YEEAAAARRRGGGHH!!!"
...Awoke Arthur from his sleep, reminding him where he was.
"I remember THAT shierk" he said, rubbing his eyes as Slartibartfast already gathered his tools for the early morning work.
"I must say Earth man, you seem to be taking this rather well, you, well, You've settled down very much since the time I first met you."
Arthur simply smiled.
"Living on Prehistoric Earth for a few years will have that effect on you... After putting up with that, to the point of a Rabbit bone in my beard... This so far is a cakewalk."
Slarti and Arthur chuckled, heading out into the early morning dawn.

Still in his sleeping quarters, Zaphod tossed and turned.
"You really should get up Zaphod, theres no point in just trying to stay in all day, its not good for you!"
"Whats the point man! The ships Clonkered, and we are here stuck in a dirt cave on these cold beds and I haven't had a single Floopy day since we crashed here!"
"Things are bound to pick up Zaphod, here, have some breakfast." Ford said, passing him a crude wooden cup filled with a "stiff drink"
"Thanks Ford," -gluggg- "Ah, Days always go a bit better with you around, lets go brew some more booze!"

Two individuals currently NOT involved with the subject of intoxication had been up far before the others, busily at work in the mine shaft. Trillian and Lintilla had been following, at least to Lintillas eyes, was a curious rock formation in the shaft...

"There it is again, the stone here, feel how warms Its getting."

"Oh yes! Fascinating really!"
"Fascinating? A bit terrifying to me... If the stone is this warm, and were deep in the mountain, well I can only image we are close to a magma pocket." Trillian stopped suddenly and backed off from the steaming stone.
"Well digging into a Volcano isn't any good, Still, we might be able to use this to our advantage... If we hit in the right spot we could come out on top, instead of taking a very quick and very terminal hot bath." Lintilla nodded her head in aggrement.
"Sounds good, but I don't want to be mucking about not knowing where to dig..."
Trillian thought a moment...
"Marvin! oh Marvin! I have some very important work for you!"

The Android looked up from where he was currently hauling rocks and sighed.
"More important then the last task? I can hardly wait." Marvin sulked as he trudged into the cave.
"Here Marvin, just dig up a bit, right there, just a little bit." Trillian offered, handing him a pickax, before she and Lintilla stepped well away...
Marvin hit with a might wack of stone, digging easily up into the glassy rock. There was a loud crumble as he lifted himself up through a hole.
"Did you find something Marvin?" Lintilla asked excitedly

"If by something, you mean an immense pool of boiling rock, then yes, I have" Marvin sighed from above.
"This is fantastic Trillian! if we dig right, we can use that magma for heating the place, melting some of the minerals we've found here! Why almost anything!"
Before the two could celebrate too much, Marvin shouted again from above.
"I think you should also know there is a very curious creature up here, and it doesn't seemed pleased with my Presence... Can't say I blame it really."

Lintilla and Trillian looked up suddenly as a blast of flame wooshed down from the hole in the ceiling.
"MARVIN!" they both cried together as they raced to pull him down... The robot seemed alit with flame before it slwoly faded as they carried him, peering back to see an angry red head poke itself down from the hole.
"Quick! Lintilla! Strike that support there hurry!"
Lintilla gave a fierce blow to the side of the wall causing a sudden shower of stone from above.  They could hear a shierk and a muffled thud as the hole, and agma pit, was sealed up well and good.

"Marvin! oh Marvin speak to me! Are you ok?"

"It would seem my right leg has melted slightly, and I think some of my chest plates have become fused.. But don't let that bother you, not that it ever dose..."
"Oh Marvin, lets get you out of here and get you some rest"

Meanwhile in the valley, things were about to get equally 'interesting'

Arthur and Slartibartfast had spent the morning tilling the slowly growing plants outside when Arthur noticed something amiss...
"The can of olive oil Slarti, have you seen it? Its one of the few things I grabbed from the ship before it was sealed!"
"AH yes, but I can't recall seeing it at all since we woke up."
Arthur began to look around in a panic, the can was one of the few things he truely treasured and it was no where to be found..
"Wait, look there! in the grass, I would swear I saw something."
"Oh yes, It is as if trying to look right at it, it seems to vanish."
Arthur knew what this was, he had dealt with this sort of thing before... He squinted his eyes, looking away from the shimmering the glass. He let his mind creep on it slowly, when suddenly he saw it all at once.

"THIEF!" shouted Arthur as he tore off running at once.
"You, you miserable, whatever you are! Come back here this instant!"

The others gathered as Arthur gave chase, never having seen the Earth man move so quickly before.
"Arthur! let it go! Its just an old can!"
"Its the last can of olive oil in the whole Universe Ford! And its not getting away![/i]

Up the Hill he gave chase, the small rodent like creature shuffling just ahead of him. Finally with a tremendous leap, he caught it by the ankles, dragging it back!
"Got ya! now give it back!"
"Glvrk Lvrnk mnrokc blax!" The creature glarbbled as it pulled a large knife and the stunned Arthur.

Fighting for his life now Arthur grabbed and wrestled with the creature, the two of the tumbling back down the hill. With a sudden Thud, Arthur felt the creature go still, the knife in its back.

Ford and the other caught up to him panting as Arthur looked down.
"I didn't mean to kill it Ford, I, I just wanted my can back." Arthur said, his body shaking a bit.
"Its ok Arthur, you didn't have a choice, but it looks like we need to be more careful around here.. I'll see about putting up a wall."
Arthur nodded and sighed, picking up his now slightly dented, but still treasured can as he looked up.

"I saw, Ford, Zaphod, do you see that? Theres people up there! People!"

===========================================

Next Epasode! The strange people of "Sednet Fortress" meet up with our shipwrecked hero's!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:50:20 pm by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 06:17:21 pm »

Ooh, it's about to get interesting...

Great work so far, Crossroads! Here's hoping you keep it up.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 12:36:41 pm »

HIgh atop the hills of the valley, 5 small dwarfs flanked by two Humans reached up to look down..

"All Hail ARMOK! We have reach the site of the Fallen Star! BEHOLD, the Chariot of the Fallen lay before us!"

Down below in the valley was a gleaming white and massive thing.. None of the Dwarfs had ever seen anything like it, all the knew was thier greatest SkyWatchers had witnessed it plummeting to the ground weeks ago and the King had sent forth Dwarf to locate it.  Falling stars were always deep Omens.

From behind them, the two Humans whispered...

"Is that what I think it is Lintilla?"
"Yes Indeed Lintilla, a Spaceship! I've never seen one quite like that, and it looks a bit damaged, but it May just be what we have been looking for!" Said Lintilla...
The First Lintilla lifted a Dwarfish made Battleax and nodded. The two of them had spent almost a year traveling outside the protected valley,  A few Months ago they had discovered a Dwarfish outpost and had learned all they could... When word was sent of a "Fallen Star" They dared to hope on what it was.

"It will be so good to see Lintilla again, Don't yu agree Lintilla?"
"Yes indeed Lintilla, but It seems she has already made some new friends as well."

17th Granite
Journal Log of Mr.Bean the Grim,

It has been slow travel over these past few weeks. The Sun has been upon us and we have cursed having to travel without stone above us.  It shall be good to be in the Long Dark once more, and if the SkyWatchers our correct it shall be a momentous Dark indeed!

The Blood of Armok has been foretold to be here, the living heat of him that is vital to our future.  it is a momentous sign that it be found where these, "StarPeople" are said to have landed.

The Humans traveling with us seem to be from the stars as well.  I myself could not believe such a thing, but never have I seen two Humans identical, I swear by the Dark at times I cannot tell them apart.  Still I have come to respect them They learn much from us and I feel they have been, "Endarkend"

I write now that we start with only five of us, and these two odd HUmans,  We come here from the Fortress of "SedNet" Surly the most wild and Endarkend Fortress on the great NetWrold!"

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 12:23:32 pm »

Whoa! Just stumbled upon this one and it's really drat nice. Poor dorfs, they will have to live in aboveground buildings like filthy umans.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 04:50:23 pm »

Im currently two immigration waves in and have run out of ames from the Forum where i first started this, anyone wishing to insert there name or position please respond :)

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 04:54:43 pm »

Sure, why not  ;)

Name: Reki Makiri
Job: Craftsman of any sort.

BTW, great story.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 06:10:10 pm »

I'd like a character named L. Prosser.
For a job, he should be essentially useless, but makes constant suggestions to form a council that he can be a part of; a fisher, maybe? He has dreams about battle axes and little fur hats, so maybe he could be your first axeman.
If at all possible, make him have a grudge with Arthur Dent.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 05:55:01 am »

By the way, does Marvin have any friends in the friends screen? Just curious of what kind of people does a melancholic android like.

And a dwarf, Urist the soapmaker (you will get one anyway) He demands that the town starts a soap industry since there are so many filthy Umans. His room shall be a soap-only stockpile!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for those signing up, Can't believe this but got another HUGE Immigration wave.. Current spots open are for:

Engraver
Hunter
AnimalCaretaker
Woodcrafter
WoodWorker
FisherDwarf
Miller
Tanner x 2
Butcher
Herbalist
Lye Maker
Soap Maker
Mechanic
Siege Operator
Peasant x 4
Wrestler x 5

Currently Anyone not "nammed" is drafted into the army, which is why there are currently so many Wrestlers

Also, I am currently a full year and a half into the game, on my Third Immigration wave.  God there is SO much to put up here.  Its slow going because recently my Photoshop version got corrupted and I've been forced to crop pics at a friends house. I should have another Update by this evening, but Until I get a new photoshop its going to be slow...

That said there is a lot of "FUN" that is coming... A bit of a Teaser? Someone 'meets' a Giant Eagle... Also Marvin the Android is attacked!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, NEED RECRUITS!!!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 05:04:47 pm »

I'll take one of the peasants for L. Prosser

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 06:13:08 am »

This story is amusingly amusing me. Keep it up.

I'll grab the mechanic. He likes to bitch at Marvin, and repair him whenever he is damaged.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 05:29:05 pm »

Can I have the buctcher
name him randall
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »

I'll take the Hunter!!!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 12:56:58 am »

((cue music“Journey of the Sorcerer”))

High atop the hill on the other side of the river. Ford and Arthur watched a wagon approaching.  Trillian and Lintilla raced up behind them.
"Who is it Arthur? Can you make them out?"
"No not at all, they look, very small though. But look, ther 's two or three normal sized people coming along with them."

Trillan and Lintilla caught up with them now, Lintilla pulling out a small handheld telescope.
"Its Lintilla! Its my Clones" Arthur looked to her suddenly.
"Your Clones? You said they had gone off somewhere."
"Yes! and they are back, with help it looks like!" Lintilla said excitedly as she made toward the approaching wagon.

"Whats this all about Arthur?"
"Didn't you listen to me earlier Ford? There used to be millions of clones of Lintilla, now it looks like theres only a few left.  I don't know about you, but we'll be glad to have some more of her around. She can be QUITE useful" Arthur said and gave chase.

Arthur smiled, Lintilla was one of the few people he had met that had not immediately yelled, shot, attacked or insulted him.  It was a rare thing.

It wasn't long before the rest of the shipwrecked crew met up with the Other Lintillas, as well as some , curious, migrants.

"Dwarves? Is that true Lintilla?"
"I'm quite sure of it Lintilla, Lintilla and I have spent the last few months along these mountains and you would not believe the Diversity of spaients we have come across! Snakemen, Lizerdmen, Goatmen and a host of other beastly people all seem to inhabit this world, but it seems 'Dwarfs' are the predominate lifeform in this area. These Five have been traveling from one of the local kingdoms, apparently.." She said, leaning toward Lintilla closer now "Apparently, they came after seeing a great falling star, a strong Omen to them.

The leader of the five stout Dwarfs stepped forward as he heard the discussion, in front of him Ford, Arthur, Zaphod, Slartibardfast and Trillian.

"Ahoy thar! I am Mr.Bean! I have come from the Mountain home of Glorious SedNet with my crew, we have come seeking those that fell from the stars! It has been fortold they shall lead us to the Blood of Armok!" the stout Dwarf spoke as behind him, "Rawtooth" "Karza" "Samuel" and "loomer" looked on. Ford looked to Arthur, who looked to Trillian.

"I think they might be talking about the Magma, here let me talk to them."
She said as she approached a 6th Dwarf, one who Lintilla had said would be returning back to the Kingdom the others had come from.

The two talked quickly and as the others listened it became clear that these Dwarfs saw basic Volcanic lava, as a holy and worshiped force, it was known as the "The Blood of Armok" their fiercest God. And where ever it was found, Dwarf Cities soon popped up.

"You mean to tell me they plan on building a city here?"
"Well not yet, it starts with a small town first."
"But theres no room, where are they going to stay?" From bellow, a "Mr.loomer" spoke up.
"We are Dwarfs! we live in the bones of the mountain! You live in the light! We live in the dark, we are 'Endarkend' after all.  Our Messenger Iden shall send word back to the Mountain Home of our great Discovery here. For now however, there is much work to be done!" He said as behind him, his cohorts quickly grabbed shovels and pickaxes, and sped into the cave.

"Well would you look at that Ford! They don't hang around do they!"
"Seems so, Holy Zarquon listen! They're already digging in the cave we opened up." Ford said as stone and rock flew form the cave.

"They certainly seem at home with a pickax. Though they are a bit on the small size." Ford looked to Zaphod now who had a Drink in each arm.
"What do you think of all this eh Zaphod?"
"Hey man, I don't care what size these new cats are, as long as they brew better swill that what we've been cooking up." Ford nodded sagely, the distillery WAS working, but the items they were currently distilling was not at all what they were used to.

While Zaphod and Ford discussed the finer points of Alcohol, The Lintillas, Trillan and the leader of the Dwarfs were discussing what had now offically been designated as "TallLabored[/i]" a new Dwarf outpost.
"The name fits StarPeople, You are tall, and you have done much work before we have come upon you. The name shall stand as testament to what you began. However... These are dangerous times Tall ones, there are foul creatures about this world."

"Yes we know, just before you arrived my friend Arthur tackled a little fuzzy thing that tried making away with some of our gear.
"Aye that be a Kolbold, they be wee kittens compared ta some of the other things out there.  Goblins, and even Orcs roam these hills, If ye insist on living out in the world of light, ye going to be needing walls, an Lots of'em." Trillian looked to Lintilla.
"I'm a Physicist Mathematician and know my way around a Hyper drive and Improbability, but I think I might be stumped at Medieval Fortifications Lintilla." Lintilla nodded, but Mr.Bean spoke up once more.

"Don't ye worry, Your safety be our safety, we shall build this new Fortress together!"

With that, it was generally agreed that time for thinking of rebuilding spaceships had finally ended, and the time for thinking, in more mediaeval terms, had begun. Over the next few days, Dwarfs, Humans, Clones, Robots, Megrathians and Residents from the vicinity of Betelgeuse, bound by a common will began construction of a fortified encampment.
The slow Construction however brought to terms another concern.  Winter was approaching.

Log of Mr.Bean the Grim
It has been three weeks since finding the sight of Armoks Blood.  We rejoiced in the sight of it. There is no doubt now that those that came from the starts were indeed a great Omen.  Plans are already under way for preparing, through Armoks great blessing, to divert His Blood into forges just under the Main Entrance.  The Star People have done well in a short time and such surprises we have discovered!

Our first great discovery was a Golem! A clockwork Metal Man.  The ancient scrolls speak of Many Golems, but there have been only a few described as the one we have come across.  It speaks which is also a rare thing and calls itself "Marvin" We fear its Chem must be very disturbed as it shows Emotion, yet the only emotion it displays seems to be Melancholy. It is still quite useful and has proved invaluable thus far. 

We have also discovered a Sage among the StarPeople. By his great age and Robes we thought him to be a Wizard, but he did not have a pointy hat, and tells us the only 'Magic' he knows is with Coastlines, which is very odd.

There is a third oddity among them, a Man with Two heads and Three arms.  My friends were quite fearful of him at first and cried out ETTIN when they saw his heads, yet he has made friends fast.  the first night we held a great celebration for the discovery of Amroks Blood and by the Dark, he was able to drink three of my closest friends under the table! We swear there must be Dwarf Blood in him!

Still there is so much to do.  The StarPeople sleep under the stars, while we have built into the Dark.  Work is steady on the fortifications to close off our Valley here from invaders.  I do not wish to give scare to the StarPeople but this land holds many Dangers and Winter is almost here.

The words of Mr.Bean the Grim

"Its colder and colder these days Ford, those berries and vegetables we've been growing won't last much longer."
"Kin I make a suggestion Tallies" The Dwarf known as "loomer" looked up at them, he appeared to be holding a large purple mushroom.
"We call'em Plump Helmets, they grow anywhere, in anything, these we grow underground even with ice and snow outside."
"Eh, Fair enough, but how do they taste?" Arthur asked to the Dwarf who grinned.
"Ask ye three armed friend over there, he been drinking'em for almost a week now.

Ford and Arthur sighed. Somethings never changed.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:58:52 pm by Crossroads Inc. »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 03:28:49 am »

There be cheese in your walls.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12