Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)  (Read 21902 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, NEED RECRUITS!!!
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2010, 11:43:21 pm »

Just as a current update, putting out the population At the time of the current chapter
So this is the current make up of the fort.

The first explorers
Arthur Dent
Ford Prefect
Trisha McMillin
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Marvin The Android
Slartibartfast

Lintilla-A

The First Migrants from the mountain Homes of SedNet
Loomer
Rawtooth
Karza
Samuel
Mr. Bean
bilateralrop
Feil
Lintilla-B
Lintilla-C

The Second Wave from SedNet
Starglider
Vendetta
Korvan
Exonerate
CivilWarMan
Joviwam
BorninShadow

The Third Wave from SedNet
Vortex
darthkom
open_sketchbook
Darkevilme
GuppyShark
Peptuck
Stofsk
Vehrec
YosemiteBear.

That is everybody AS OF THEN.
Because I have such a back log of game files, the population as of NOW is 63 with most of the people from these forums in it now... I just have to keep uploaded the past seasons.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2010, 01:02:36 am »

((cue music“Journey of the Sorcerer”))

It began with ore.  Lots of ore. 

Ever since the most recent flood of new comers to the valley, the cramped living conditions of the main outpost had been becoming more and more an issue.  Dwarfs are naturally used to cramped quarters with little to no privacy. But even they had limits.  At a meeting with Mr.Bean who had nearly recovered from his injuries, several of the newer Dwarfs were bickering.

"The Starpeople Are building a grand place for themselves Bean while we are forced to share what small rooms we have! Darkevilme has put all work behind building the great walls and left us few masons for expanding living quarters!" Vehrec of the new arrivals from SedNet bellowed as behind him stood some of the other newcomers, Votex and darthkom.

Mr.Bean sighed.  He put his crutches to one side and sat down.  And then picked up one of his Dwarfish Ax-pics.

"Ye be babies or ye be Dwarfs?  Don't ye belly ache about the Starpeople, if ye want such accommodations ye can live out in the Sun with'em!" There was a sudden muttering from the group.
"Dat what I thought! Now if ye really want better rooms, go dig'em yeselves!" He barked, hurling the pic-ax at Vehrec.  Catching it deftly, the Dwarf looked down abashed...

Some time later, as Vehrec and the others carved out a new level. Mr.Bean left his room for the first time in weeks, grinning like a maniac and carrying a large scroll.
"Lets see how me little projects been doing!"

"The Journal of Trisha McMillin"
It has been over a year since we have first crashed in this valley and in that time I have come to realize just how hard it is living in "simple" times.  Lintilla and Lintilla seem to have adapted best, though I suspect it comes from their line of work as archeologists and studying the past. Lintilla however seems to spend more time studying with me as the two of us have devoted ourselves to incorporating as many modern advances into this primitive society as possible.

Ford and Zaphod, as always, spend much of their time boozing and brewing anything fermentable they can get their hands on. I am quite certain that Zaphod may bring about vast unforeseen consequences to Dwarfish society. Just yesterday I noticed several Dwarfs with mugs that contained tiny umbrellas and what looked like cherries on small toothpicks. Where they obtained tiny umbrellas remains a mystery.

Marivn is, Marvin. The Dwarfs natural respect of him may at last be doing some good.  None of them have any sense on how to fix an android, but they have recently "spruced him up" as only they are possible.  His once dull and grey exterior is now festooned with intricate metalwork and metal engravings of horrific scenes from their history.

Slartibartfast seems to spend much of his time pinning for the Fjords.

As for myself, Lintilla and I, while not working out how to introduce modern plumping to the Valley, have been on a long term mission from Mr.Bean The dwarfs leader.
He and Darkevilme seem at odds. One wishes to see modern city for citizens and trade, the other is pushing for an immense fortress of purely military intent.  Lintilla and I have been at work to help the former along"

Down in the Crucible of Armok Mr.Bean walked in on Lintilla hard at work.
"How much done Missy?"
"Almost all of it Mr.Bean.  Few of the Dwarfs come here so most have not noticed how much has been processed" The Clone said with a smile as she closed the door to a glowing Magma Forge. Mr.Bean looked down into the store room.
"By Armok, ye HAVE been busy.

TallLabored Valley, outer fortress walls some time later
The sound of pickax's and hammers could be heard throughout the Valley. Darkevilme, the self appointed military leader of TallLabored looked over the rising fortifications with a satisfied expression.
"Alright ye bloody pansies! get to work on those alls double time! Orc's aint going to be kept out by just heaps of rocks!" The dwarf yelled as she felt a slight tap on her soldier.  Turning around quickly she spied Mr.Bean some of the Starpeople and a Wagon covered by a Tarp awning.

"Oy, What ye be after Bean? I'm busy making sure we aren't ransacked by bloodthirsty orcs." Mr.Bean nodded.
"Aye dat be true, but we be needing more then dat Darkev.  The plans of this city have a bit more then just walls ye know" Darkevilme winced, she thought she had hid all of the 'Official' plans form the Low King
"The Low King wanted a real city! Dar be plans her for roads wells, a city for more then just the military!"

Darkevilme snorted as the Dwarf swept some dirt form her elegant chain mail skirt.
"Don't ye be daft Mr.Bean, every stone be needed for this Valleys defense! We fended off goblins but Orcs going to require far greater work! Ye can't go about taking stone for fancying up ye plans when it be needed elsewhere!" The Dwarf said turning back to the work crew. Mr.Bean seemed undaunted.

"Dat be true Darkev, dat be very true. We DO need all the stone for fortifications.  Which is why, My plans for the city will not be using Stone." There was a slight cough as some of the workers dropped their equipment. Darkevilme turned
"Not use stone?

"Dat be right, we be using copper.  Lots and lots of Copper" he said, placing a heavy ingot into Darkevilmes hand as behind him Lintilla, Trillian and Lintillas pulled the tarp off of a wagon full of copper.
"Enough for all of my proposals, all I be needing is some workers" Mr.Bean said before walking away.  Behind him Rawtooth, Karza and Exonerate the best workers in the Valley looekd at each other.  Thee chance to work for anyone other then the Tyrannical orders of Darkevilme was a question they did not spend much time pondering.

It was not long before Mr.Beansaw his plans put into Action.  Over the next few days a flurry of COnstruction began that would leave the valley gleaming of Copper.

Construction of a new vast copper road began for trade wagons and goods.

A proper well for those other then the Dwarfs was started.

And, largely to the bemusement and consternation of many of the Dwarfs, a "Garden" was begun under the careful eye of Trillian and the Lintillas'

It was a few days later, as Darkevilme watched the newest caravan come up the now gleaming copper road, that Mr.Bean, still using crutches, sat down next to the warrior.

"Sorry to take de wind form ye sails there Darkev, but much to ye credit, a City can't just be walls and fortifications  the Low King ordered us ta make a City for Everyone Darkev, and just look below.  Dwarfs, Beastmen, Humans Starpeople, even bleeding elves. ((the two shared a joined shiver)) It be quite a sight!"  Darkevilme nodded, yet sight.

"Thar still be something missing from it all mate"

"Dat be it!" The Dwarf cried as she dashed out into the field.
================================================
Next Epasode!!!
The Second Attack of PaleLabored!
Madness Strikes once more!
and
Marvin throws Hella Far!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:49:10 pm by Crossroads Inc. »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2010, 03:27:42 pm »

Just as a heads up, there ARE a few open slots to.  Next immagration wave is when most of you will begin turning up.  Though I have to admit what happens to a lot of you sin't pretty.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2010, 09:40:09 pm »

Yay! Ambush! Arg!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 05:35:06 am »

By the by...

This game is being run on a Pree-V3 version of DF.  As such it can still have "Dwarf Visualizer" used on it.
As such as such... Anyone with a working version of "Dwarf Viz" shall find themselves in deep gratitude from me if they are able to get images of "PaleLabored" done up on a regular basis for the the Thread.

Danka!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2010, 06:37:45 am »

What version, exactly, are you using?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2010, 08:11:44 am »

v.28.181.40d

I know its kind of old, but given i started this so long ago, I wanted to keep the old version since this game won't work on anything else :P

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2010, 09:29:09 am »

Try downloading from here. I use it with 40d, too.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2010, 10:07:33 am »

Second problem... I run the game on a Mac, and as far as I know, no version of Dwarf Visualizer was ever made for Apple :P

By the by, for everyone else reading this, I am curious how my "style" is being received.  I know that most community games take a Journal like dday by day approach often, telling things as they happen.  Where as I build up a bunch of turns and compress them like a Story, writing this almost like a 'fanfic' in terms of the people in it.  Wonder what everyone thinks at this point :)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2010, 11:21:13 pm »

It's awesome. I think that this style of writing is superior to the journal entries. Don't get me wrong, I'll love any good DF story, it's just that a compressed story tends to have a more general viewpoint and more information for me to soak up, which I like.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2010, 04:11:51 am »

I too most heartily enjoy this thread.
It is not vogonic in the least.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2010, 04:38:35 pm »

Thanks for the support! expect a new update of the current Ambush soon. 
Also Marvin the Android finally snaps!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2010, 05:31:54 pm »

Could I have a peasant?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2010, 08:28:27 pm »

Could I have a peasant?
Current list of unused people... But because of the backlog of time spent in the game you may not appear for a while:
Animal Caretaker
Animal Disector
Woodcrafter
FisherDwarf
Miller
Butcher
Tannerx2
Herbalist
Soap Maker
Lye Maker
Mechanic
Siege Operator

HammerDwarfx2
Wrestlerx6

Peasentx5

PLEASE NOTE It is possible I  may not have put your name done earlier, so If you requested something in the past speak up :)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »

I think I wanted an Epic Axedwarf but I Can't remember.

Actually I think this was the first thread I posted in so I'm a bit of a newbie in the first couple of pages.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12