Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)  (Read 21901 times)

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, NEED RECRUITS!!!
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:53 am »

If there are any jewel-backed scuttling crabs in the western swamps, then please give me the Fisherdwarf, and I will agree not to write any poetry.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2010, 03:04:16 am »

((cue music“Journey of the Sorcerer”))

It had started innocently enough... "Vortrex" and '"Joviwamwas above the valley gathering provisions from some of the bushes still growing before the next winter.  The Cook and his friend often went out together, one to forage food stuffs, the other to practice his wrestling on any local wildlife. They Should have been safe enough they reasoned, they were within the walls after all.  But the hunting Dwarf had noticed something "Odd" about the bushes... He Swore one of them was looking back at him!
"Grrggle Fgzgh Grllo slrrggurll!" The green goblins shouted as they leapt from their hiding places and set upon the hapless cook!
AN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM! Vortex shouted as the goblins charged as "Joviwam" raised his Crossbow to desperately fend off the onrushing goblins..

A swift crack to the Dwarf rendered Voretex nearly unconscious. But down bellow him, his words rang out through the valley, in no time Darkevilme had gathered her squad together and was racing to the goblins as Votex dazed but alive fought back wildly against a circle of goblins. 
"Ye bleeding green skinned buggers! Ye won't take me dat easily!" He shouted as he grappled with the goblin closest to him in a life or death struggle.

"Darkevilme" and "CivilWarMan" arrived first as "Joviwam" fought back at close quarters, bringing his crossbow down onto a goblins helmet with a satisfy "CRACK" sound that left the goblin still.
"AHOY Der Joviwan! Don't ye be having all da fun!" Darkevilme shouted as her and "CivilWarMan" unleashed a superdwavenly hail of Crossbow bolts upon the now stunned green ambushers.
Meanwhile Vortex was loosing ground as he fought of the goblins three to one.  He had done well to fend them off when an Ax-Goblin came too close and brought his weapon down hard.  There was a wet sound and the Dwarf clutched his side as blood poured out!
"A-Armok! I am coming to jo-join you!" The Cook rattled weakly before passing out.

"VORTEX!" Darkevilme shouted as she dashed to close the distance between her and the goblins.  Fireing off another quick set of bolts, the remaining goblins were all but dispatched as "CivilWarMan" joined with "Joviwam" who was trying to ket the guts of "Vortex" from spilling out.
"He is a goner, It be only a matter of time" he said gravely. Behind them, Trillian, Lintilla and Arthur dashed to the scene.  Below in the Valley, everyone was making ready and getting to the still unfinished town walls.  Crossbows Ax'es and Hammers were raised, awaiting any further assault.

Trillan arrived with a box and quickly opened it up.
"It isn't as bad as it looks, he will live" she said as the others watched on in fascination.
"It be magic for certain" said Darkevilme with a hint of bitterness to her voice. Trillian sighed as she began to apply some of her last medical supplies to the wounded Dwarf.
"Surely you people HAVE medicine" she said as Arthur watched with a sense of stomach churning fascination.

(Sorry guys! only a short update today, been really busy and working on a much longer one.  Just as a Teaser, the below picture features Marvin The Android.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:55:32 pm by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2010, 04:25:22 am »

:) I read this for the first time today. Really great story, and excellent usage of characters and quotes.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2010, 08:44:17 am »

I love the picture of the hail of bolts. It looks more like a gun than a crossbow.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #94 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:54 am »

Does this map have sand? If it does can you make me a glassmaker? If there isn't can I be a tanner/leatherworker ?

The writings good, and the characters really resemble the people from the original canon.
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 31, 2010, 09:56:33 am »

:) I read this for the first time today. Really great story, and excellent usage of characters and quotes.
Thank you! it is hard to do the original characters sometimes without it sounding as if I am just lifting straight from the books.
So I do my best when including them in the overall series. 

A note on sand, there is sand EVERYWHERE. look at some of the screen caps of the white splotches all over the place.
Sand + Magma = Endless Glass Supply. So expect plenty of glass makers in the future.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2010, 12:16:00 pm »

Ladies and Gentlemen... TALL-LABORED!

A Main gatehouse (Upper wall being enlarged for Siege Weapons)
B Clothing workshops (leather working, cloth processing, Dye shops, Looms)
C Food workshops (Stills, Butchers, Kitchens, Millstones)
D Future Living Quarters for 'Starpeople'
E Stone workshops (Mason shops, crafts-shops, engineering shops)
F Wood workshops (Carpentry shops, more crafts shops, Bowyer)
G Storerooms
H Current Living Quarters for 'Starpeople'
I Offices of Mr.Bean and Trillian
J Entrance to (eventual) underground city.
K Main Hall

A few notes, most of the workshops are connected by tunnels so the (Real) Dwarfs need not go out into the sun to go to and from work.  Also as an idea of where this is all going, here is a layout of the walls under construction around the valley. Also, ALL those roads, all copper. VERY shinny.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:48:21 am by Crossroads Inc. »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »

((cue music“Journey of the Sorcerer”))

A sadden hush fell upon TallLabored in the wake of the ambush, not out of any sense of worry about the near fatal wounds inflected upon the humble cook Vortex, after all Dwarfs were used to a harsh and brutal life. Much of their existence was marked with endless clashes against everything from Giant Titans to fish that had been known to drag a Dwarf down to his doom.

No the real reason for the saddened, almost ashamed hush over the fortress was the tongue lashing the head Dwarfs were getting from Trillian.

”MEDICINE! It isn’t hard to grab cloth and wrap it around a wound to stop the bleeding!” She said as she and Lintilla carried Vortex to his room while Lintilla followed with fresh water and linens.
“I would ask what sort of primitive society this is, but I think I already know the answer! And after all this time, all the building and all of the improvements and all of the, the Civilization I have seen you people build up here, that somehow putting a split on a broken bone or cleaning an infected wound somehow escapes you!” She bellowed before storming off.

There was some mutterings by the Dwarfs, some nervous shuffling of feet before Zaphod broke the tension.

“Hey cats buck up! I’ve got far worse from her in my day, you lot got off easy!” He said and handed Mr.Bean and ShadowDragon a very stiff drink.
“Now lets change this rather unfroopy, you guys are as tough as ol’ Monkey man where it comes to not getting killed” Zaphod said as Arthur, trying to get some bones from his bath robes protested.

“I protest Zaphod! Do you realize that in my time with you just how often I have been chased, yelled at, shot at, blow up and disintegrated? Arthur snapped.
“Exactly my point Monkey boy, you’ve been almost killed dozens of times, but you’ve never actually died!” Zaphod said as he slapped Arthur firmly.

Elsewhere outside the Valley, just, outside the Valley front gates in fact, a very nervous Slacker was carrying his latest haul of fish from the river that ran outside the valley walls.  Looking at the bushes on either side of him, swearing that goblins could be anywhere, he mutters to himself.

“Bleeding miners! They have time to tunnel all over this valley but they can’t be arsed to make a simple tunnel to the one source of fish around here! They want fresh turtle? Well they can bloody well come outside the walls and get it themselves!” Slacker  said irritated as he hurried back.  He could see the main gates now and breathed a sigh of relief, almost back home and out of---

THIEF! PROTECT THE HORDE FROM THE SKULKING FILTH!!!

“Armoks Blood!” Slacker shouted as he leapt back from the lizard like Kolbol that he swore simply materialized out of thin air.  Dropping his haul of fish he dashed toward the gates as the gibbering thing made off with his catch.

“Bloody Kolbols!” he shouted angrily shacking his fist as behind him CivilWarMan and Loomer sniggered.
“Don’t laugh you two! Those bloody thieves are everywhere I tell you, everywhere!”

“Steady on there!” Slacker none of them skulking lizards dare show up inside the gates. Nothing will get past us here” Loomer boasted as, if on cue, an iron +War Hammer+ lifted up into the air as if by magic.

The Kolbol faded into existence before them as it tore through the front gates, dashing between the spikes and traps that one would assume keep virtually anything from getting in or out.

At this point, several other Dwarfs had converged on the area as it became apparent that the recent fish theft was not an isolated incident. DarkEvilMe dashed up, Hammer and Sword in hand as behind here Stofsk and Joviwam followed, weapons at the ready.

Ford Prefect watched the happenings with some amusement.
“They are just little lizard things, I don’t really see what all the fuss is about.  I would hardly say this warrants sending the army out” Ford said down to Mr.Bean, though the sarcasm was lost  on the burly Dwarf.

“This be about Pride Starman! We face down monsters, dragons, Orcs, carp! We won’t be made fools of by some small skulking cowards!” He sais with much theatrical flare as in font of the main gates about a half dozen Dwarfs, all heavily armed, stood and watched, daring something to happen.

“It’s after the Olive Oil again! The last jar of olive in the whole universe!!!” Came a cry form behind the assembled as a small gray creature came dashing out from the simple firt dwelling of Ford and Arthur.  Arthur for his [art was hot on the heels of the thief. He had chased down one of these creatures before and it had ended badly, for the Kolbol. This poor example of the race was no less fortunate as it ran full tilt into the awaiting Dwarfish forces.  The end results were not pretty.

Blood, gore and severed limbs flew from the location where the Kobol had once stood, The battered can of Greek olive oil falling to the ground where it was quickly picked up by Arthur.

“Eeyarg, you people don’t mess about do you” he said as he wiped the treasured can free of entrails and Kolbol remains.  The assembled Dwarfs, the notorious foe now properly vanquished, beamed furiously and exchanged much backslapping.  A plodding sound broke their shared jubilation as Marvin the Android slumped pass, *Ax*  in metallic hand.

“I don’t see what all the fuss is about, it isn’t exactly hard to bludgeon someone with primitively forged metal and blunt instruments.  It isn’t like you had your brain linked to a hyper planetary war computer, having to commutate the strategies of millions of horribly beweoponed starships.  I’m sure you couldn’t begin to comprehend the situation so I don’t even know what I bother to ask you, oh god I’m so depressed.”  He finished before trudging out of the main gates,

Mr.Bean  looked to Loomer who looked back to Mr.Bean
“That Golem is going to snap one of these days, mark my words”

=======================================
Next Episode!!! Marvin Snaps! [/b]

((Note, the one pic is not altered in any way, in the space of one day, I did indeed have Three thief's pop up around the fort.  I wish I had a screenshot of just what happened to the third Kolbol, he popped up virtually right next to the Dwarfs practicing at the front gate, limbs and gore flew everywhere. ))
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:55:05 am by Crossroads Inc. »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2010, 07:20:47 pm »

Mini update. checking some of the Engravings in the Fortress have led to some interesting finds.

The Tempted Queen!  A hint at the ruler of Tall Labored Trillian?

The Balls of Frothing! Not sure what to make of that.

The Ignoble Storm! Could Peptuck be an art critic? Finding the totem ignoble? '

The Mucous Whims! Proof that you do not mess with Clones of Archeologists!

The Gall of Throats! Proof you do not mess with Dwarfs in general!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:00:52 am by Crossroads Inc. »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2010, 10:38:10 am »

Update of population!
The RED LINES indicate jobs open for people.  Anyone who voiced a positon in the past let me know if I have missed you!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:02:27 am by Crossroads Inc. »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2010, 11:54:55 am »

Yes. I will haul for food!!!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2010, 03:25:02 pm »

I don't see me in there anywhere.

>.<

I require chopping of goblin blood to function.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2010, 11:00:32 pm »

Sorry dermonster, you are a SOAP MAKER!!!

===========================
((Short update now, in truth the below events happened almost immediately after the previous one, just didn't get to them till now.))

============================
The blood was still wet on the ground as Marvin the infinitely ancient android trudged out through the main gate. A mighty iron +Battle ax+ in his metallic hand, the android lopped off to complete the all-important mind-sapping task of felling tees.  Behind him a series of heavily armed Dwarfs watched him go from the inside gate, kobold gore still on the ground.

“That be one seriously depressed golem”
“Can golems get depressed Mr. Bean?
“Nar, I’d never think so, but that one be right round the bend.
“Well hopefully nothing else happens to it, the last thing we need is a mad Golem on our hands Loomer spoke softly.

As if in accordance to universal laws of narrative, at that moment Ford Prefect, who had left the main gates just ahead of Marvin, felt an uneasy feeling that he was being followed.  In a certain respect h was begin followed as he could see Marvin several paces behind him.  But more to the point, he could see a distorted shimmering in the bushes next to him.

THIEF! PROTECT THE HORDE FROM THE SKULKING FILTH!!!!

“Fetid Photons! Not another one of you little things!” Ford shouted as he leapt back, The grey lizard like thing seemed to fade into existence as it ran jabbering from the resident of Betelgeuse.
“Marvin! Watch out there! It’s headed your way!”  Ford yelled as the android looked up into the onrushing kobold.  The android, as it so often was, seemed to give little care to the situation.

“I don’t really see why I should devote any of my vast intellect to this, the creature seems armed with only the crudest of weapons and, while my own body has been blasted, scorched shot at and partially melted, I can safely calculate that there is virtually no chance of tit inflecting any serious damage to me” the android said as it stood its ground against the on rushing Kobold.

The Kobold, having only narrowly missed being discovered by the horde of deadly armed dwarfs, flung himself full force at what looked like a drab metal man.  The small dagger he had thrust out impacted hard into Marvin’s side.  There was a ghastly silence as Marvin looked down, noting with some surprise that the knife had managed to push between the smallest of dents along his left side, The dagger had poked through the metal and had nicked, if only just, all of the diodes.

The pain was excruciating.

Marvin flung his arms out wildly, the Android giving a strange gurgling noise as sparks flew from the wound, his fist moving with the age of millennia, impacted with a sickening “Squelch” sound into the kobolds face before the creature suddenly found itself terminally airborne.

The last thing the kobold through as it fly into the air was “That Android can through Hell’a far!”

A moment later and crisis had past.  Trillian and Arthur had run out to Marvin as soon as the noise had started and soon he seemed to have calmed down.
“How very strange, I would say it bothered me that I was responsible for its death, but I am far too depressed to consider it at the moment.  The pain in all the diodes down my left side is worse then ever.

“Back to your old self then Marvin?” Arthur said sarcastically as Trillian gave him a punch on the shoulder.
“Do be nice Arthur, Marvin has saved our loves countless times after all, and we really should take better care of him,
“Or we could just melt him down for scrap, it would make me feel better” Ford said passing them by. “At least that’s over with at last.” He said foolishly.

Less then ten minutes later, Marvin in the middle of hewing down a mighty Oak brought his ax down not into a tree but the shimmering blur that had been a goblin snatcher trying to sneak by.

“SNATCHER! PROTECT THE CHILDERN!”

Marvin looked down at the still twitching arm of the goblin thief.
“Oh no not again. Really can’t you just leave us alone? It would make things easier for you to go away.” The Android said as he reached out to push the blood gushing goblin away from his work area.  This he did with tremendous success, perhaps far more then anticipated.

Behind him, Arthur and Trillain watched in amazement.
“I don’t suppose we should worry about him? I mean he’s never hurt anyone before, aside from fatally depressing other people.
“Why should we have anything to worry about Arthur, haven’t you treated him well after all? Trillian said with a smirk leaving behind a very thoughtful Arthur Dent.

((NOTE: once again the above events all took place within about 4 "days" of each other. which means I had four kolbold thieves and one goblin thief in the span of about 15min of game play.  Also I have to say I have not altered Marvins stats in any way, largely I would not know how to do so on my computer, but I will say both times I conscripted him to fight off the thieves, without any special action on my part he seemed able to fling them a good distance across the map. Clearly he is not to be trifled with.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:09:50 am by Crossroads Inc. »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2010, 11:12:04 pm »

I demand to go on a fey induced soap building/temple/tower thing yeah.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2010, 02:07:27 am »

don't think I have ever see an artifact Soap done before.  Either way may take a break for a while as interest ing the fort seems to be waining.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12