Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)  (Read 21884 times)

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, NEED RECRUITS!!!
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2009, 12:17:12 am »

It's ok if I have to wait until you get the appropriate dwarf, as I can see you don't currently have the right dwarf.

Or you could do as you suggested.
Anyway.
Epic story.

Sounds cool for the heart of gold...Like I said, He just WANTS to make a huge computer. Not saying he is.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2009, 03:23:47 am »

I'll take one of those migrants if you don't mind.
Mangled The mangler of Clive.
He's a "Legendary" swords dwarf who allegedly struck down Clive one eye*.

What Clive one eye was varies from tale to tale, some say he was a mighty dragon (Minus an eye.) who killed Mangled's father and was thus killed by the Dwarf as vengeance, while others say Clive was Just a cat (Minus an eye.) that had the misfortune of being an impromptu cushion for Mangled after he fell off a gaurd tower. (He insists he was pushed off by a Demon, Titan or some other such abomination.)

Despite the fact that he annoys people with tales of his "Heroic deeds" every five minutes Mangled is pretty handy with a sword so he'll either make up for it by protecting the fort or he'll get shot in the face. Win win for all I'd say.

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2010, 11:39:35 pm »

I like your story so far. it has made me want to go back and read that book again. could i have a dwarf named thorvard, who is a blacksmith if any are free?

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2010, 05:51:08 am »

how the heck did you get beastmen merchants?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 02:06:46 am »

((cue music“Journey of the Sorcerer”))

**the following from the mind of Doglus Adams**
It said: "The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and Sophistication, otherwise known as the How, Why and Where phases.
"For instance, the first phase is characterized by the question How can we eat? the second by the question Why do we eat? and the third by the question Where shall we have lunch?"

For the populace on the world bellow, virtually everyone was in the "How do we eat" phase.  Civilization as it stood, was a brash new, impetuous idea. Every new idea, was an Idea worth fighting over, and on a world filled with several sapient life-forms, there was a great deal of fighting.

So it was no surprise the first thing that happened upon new arrivals to the settlement know as "Tall-Labor" was the formation of a a fearsome and mighty military, that in years to come, would be known far and wide as "Bloody Deadly Arse Kickers of Doom™"

However it should be noted, before such deeds of Valor could take place, the new immigrants are fraught with a Dire Pearl on approaching Wings.

"For the love of Armok run ye bloody fools RUN!" Karza shouted from atop the Valleys Wall as off in the distance the group of Dwarfs, carrying what worldly belongings they had, dashed from a mighty Swoop of the Eagle.

Out in the fields, the new migrants huddled together under a tree, there were almost fourteen of them, some with childer and young Dwarfs. Shrieks and Cries went up from them, most of them that is.

Six older Dwarfs stood in the middle, one of them looking distinctly UN-Dwarfish, 'he' sprouted a pair of Steel tiped high heel Iron boots, Odd Feline like Iron horns on 'his' helmet and a cougars tail He had taken as a Trophy from a fearsome kill.

"Stand low Dwarfs!" he shouted. "This is what we have waited for, the chance to prove ourselves at last!, Korvan, Joviwam, get ready on it's next pass! We shall not let this vile creature smite our good citizens!" The Dwarf spoke as around it a group of ragged Dwarfs rose crude wepons.

"Here it comes Darkev! Here it comes!" A larger Dwarf Starglider Spoke as the Giant shrieking Eagle dove down upon them. 

"Sednet Dwarfs! Lets go!" A cheer rang up form those in the middle as a battlecry, of sorts, rang out.

"They can take our Gold but nev'r take our Socks!"
"Tharr can be only Seven!"
"Glory to the Uber Toad!"
"Yar Lets go have some 'fun'!"

The Eagle Swooped and the Dwarfs Leap, Claws raked armor, weapons racked feathers.  The Great Eagle furled its wings and, though wounded, clibed back up into the air.  The other Dwarfs huddled together fearfully as the great beast came down.

"OK this is it Maties! Time ta give it a good Kickken!" A dwarf wielding an Ax said as the Creature came back down.  The lead Dwarf surged forward, its Sword hitting deep into the side.  A mace came down soon after in an Explosion of Gore!
The Eagle stricken and suddenly put upon by Many Angry Dwarfs, tried to strike back.

The leader of armed Dwarfs, seeing the great Beast subdued, leaned in..
"Ach ye Big Birdie, ye gonna get SUCH a kickken!" it said and brought its Sword down hard.

The Journal of Mr.Bean the Grim

It has been several weeks since the unfortunate attack upon
TallLabor  My wounds still keep me in bed though I have not let this impede my overseeing of the Dwarfs in the Valley.  Despite fears of the The Great Eagle work progresses on increasing our humble fortifications. The new Migrants could not have come at a better time and have been put to work along the wall. They hail from our home Fortress of "Sednet"and there are some welcome faces among them.

"bilateralrop" Engraver
"Feil" Tanner
"Starglider" SwordDwarf
"Vendetta" Wrestler
"Korvan" MaceDwarf
"Exonerate" Wrestler
"CivilWarMan"
"Joviwam" AxDwarf
"BorninShadow" Wrestler
"Vortex" Cook
"darthkom" Wrestler
"open_sketchbook" Wrestler
"Darkevilme" SwordDwarf
"GuppyShark" Wrestler

Since the attack by the wretched goblins, I have taken it upon myself to put together a more organized and constant Fighting force.  I hope this will eventually form the start of a Fortress Guard.  To my delight the new migrants have taken well to this, apparently many of them where form the volunteer Guard at Sednet They seem led by one of the few 'Female' Dwarfs I know of,
Darkevilme who I met back at Sednet before leaving. 

If ever there was a capable fighter as well as Leader, it would be "her"

It would seem however their arrival is not mear Fate.
They arrive with a Proclamation from the Low King Himself

"Low King? Souldn't it be, well the 'high' king and all that?" Arthur said to Lintilla as they watched what amounted to a Dwarfish council of War.

DarkEvilMe and Korva speaking for Mr.Bean were deep in heated conversation as Lintilla shock her head.

"No no Arthur, Dwarfs aren't like that, their whole culture centers around being deep down and in the Earth, er, planet. Being called 'low' by a Dwarf is a compliment." Arthur nodded, not in any form of understanding, but just because he felt it was needed. 

Down on the field, the leader of the new Dwarfs, "DarkEvilMe held up a very offical looking scroll.

"As I said Korva it comes from the Low King himself! News has spread about your gord fortunes here, but als to the ears of our enemies!" The odd Dwarf said to a chors of gasps.  Korva snatched the scrolled sealed with wax.

"Aye we know that, we fought of a group of the wee green monsters not too long ago."
"Ye talking about Goblins? Aye well, I am sure thar will be plenty more of them coming soon, but its not them the King sent us." there was a pause.. "Orcs, thar be Orcs on the move!" This brought another round of gasps and a few mutterings of the other Dwarfs.
"The Low King has tasked wih the over seeing of turning this outpost into a ful fledged Fortress.  Ye have done well with walling up the Valley, but we are going to need proper Walls around the whole land ta keep put what may be on the way."  Korva nodded solemnly as well as the other around him, there was much to be done and no one knew how long they had.

Back up on a hill over looking the meeting, Ford, carrying two large mugs of Beer sat down beside Lintilla and Arthur.

"Well I don't know about you two but it seems to me the longer we stay here the more trouble seems to head our way." He said as he took a stiff Drink.  Arthur looked at him and sighed.
"Its not like we can run off, the ship is still so radioactive it glows at night, and even if it wasn't we wouldn't know where to start fixing it."  Ford gave an odd little grin.

"You know, I always say, never let a pass up a disadvantage, it could always help you more then you think..."
"You never said that" Arthur snapped.
"No? Well I probably should," Ford spoke, as his mind, plotted...
========================================
Next Episode!  Construction of a Castle! The great ship speaks, Arms are bared! And, Madness strikes!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:37:52 pm by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 08:14:01 pm »

As an aside, there are still some slots left open:

**Spots Open**
AnimalCaretaker
Woodcrafter
FisherDwarf
Miller
Tanner x 2
Herbalist
Lye Maker
Peasant x 4
Wrestler x 4

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:10 pm »

Did you add in my dwarf yet?

Anyway, nice update. Can't wait for more.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2010, 02:04:10 am »

SMall Update, did a "World Census" using the world sites pop list... Very interesting results....
======================

601 Orcs 181 + 191 + 130 + 99
344 Lizardmen 129 + 93 + 122
291 Goatmen 123+106+62
262 Dwarves 120+98+44
232 Bearmen 105 + 66 + 30 + 31
231 Jackelmen 127 + 38 + 66
206 Humans 99 + 107
153 Raccoonmen 60 + 93
119 Snakemen 80 + 39
115 Wolfmen 46 + 28 + 41
111 Frogmen 94+17
104 TurtleMen 65 + 39
103 Goblins 41+36+26
28 Tigermen 28
24 Elves 24
=======

So did you catch that? There are More Lizardmen and Goatmen in the world then there are Dwarfs! this is NOT conducive to a happy Dwarf society, it must be remedied.

Also found the entry for my own settlement:
=======
118: Erithshukar, "TallLabored, a mountain fortress
   Owner: The Modest Syrup, dwarves
   Parent Civ: The Praised Barricade of Rhymes, dwarves
   Leader: `Trillian' Swamparmors, dwarf

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2010, 06:45:34 am »

There are only 24 elves. They must be doing something right.
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2010, 07:20:15 am »

I TAEK THE FISHERDWARF!

seriously now , i only read this a few minutes ago and am about to explode due to its awesomeness , fits for the best stories competition(joke , heh)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2010, 07:51:30 am »

I agree.

The herbalist "Da-dja Goone", ready to give you a herb tea if you have a cough, ready to give you a foment if you have a headache, ready to give you proper herbs if you have depression, hehe... Associated with herbs, always gathering herbs and trying various teas, foments and smoking "rolls" (as he calls them) with any herb he can find.

He says that herbs are trees, just small, and thus innocent. Trees should be cut, but herbs should be gently collected and smoked, to join the eternal circle of happiness and health.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2010, 07:52:22 am »

heh , if i can , i would have choosen a random woodcutter to chop down every tree possible , but i happen to have a maniac favor to fishing

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2010, 03:45:33 am »

((cue music“Journey of the Sorcerer”))

It is a well known fact that things are not always as they seem.

"Death" is often a good example of this.  The subject of Death is one that is covered in great length by The Guide, taking up immense amounts of entries.  It should be noted however that most of its references seem to appear at the end of many entries, usually proceeded by the words "But if you go despite this, expect the following.

For the current context in which Death is being used, it is often noted that Death can be a transitory thing.  And despite what some may think, hope or dread, Death is not always permanent.  Weather it is with people, or internet Threads.

The HitchHikers Guide to Dwarf Fortress[/i]

The Journal of Mr.Bean the Grim
Much had changed in the now busy Valley of TallLabored 

The recent influx of migrants has filled the current rooms inside to bursting and my brethren have quickly been excavating new living quarters.  The "Star People" have, with much help from several of the new Dwarfs of Sednet, begun construction of far more refined living quarters out from the simple cave they had dug now almost a year ago. Indeed it is well earned of them who found this sacred Valley.

Also the Dwarf who I am quickly finding both a terror and a great ally,
DarkEvilMe has begun the process of organizing the more military minded among us into a proper fighting force.  This last act had taken place shortly after the outpost learned that commands, handed down by the Low King himself, dictated that our small Valley of TallLabored would someday have to face not just goblins but Orcs.

I pray my wounds shall heal before this dreaded day comes.

"Orcs? What exactly are they? Something else that is out to kill me I suppose?" Arthur asked while helping one of the newer Dwarfs, "Vortex" carrying the newest crop of mushrooms to the Kitchens.

"Aye ye catch on quick Star man, of course it aint hard te guess most things on this world be out te kill ye" The stout Dwarf said as it hefted another bin of food. "But Orcs aren't like the little green pests, they be, bigger."

"Oh? Do I dare ask just how much?" Asked Arthur as Vortex looked around.
"Well they vary in size, but on average a good size one could hammer you into da ground like a nail" he said without a hint of humor in his voice. Arthur sighed.

"I guess that would explain everyone being so serious about the new walls then?"

Indeed the Fortress as a whole had shifted into great strides of construction.  The orders from the Low King hadn't just warned the Valley of Orcs, but made it clear that the Valley, home to the sacred Blood of Armok and landing of Star People was destined to someday rise to become a proper Mountain Home... And should start looking the part.

Down in the forges, the Crucible of Armok lay smoldering. The forges had been in near constant work since word of the Low Kings decree had gone out.  The Lintillas and Trillian worked them the most, smelting down ores and the abundant copper nuggets in the forges.

It seemed a normal enough day, there had been no signs of kolbols or goblins, work had settled down, the newcomers had moved in and the Valley seemed to be able to relax... This of course meant it was the natural time for what the Dwarfs called Angbrobolkrunfzahran but translated into the human tongue as FUN

The Dwarf known as Peptuck had joined the small outpost early on, indeed coming with the initial Dwarfs from Sednet in the Mountain Homes. He had spent the day thus far in the endless task of scraping old bones into practice bolts for the new Dwarfs training with crossbows.

Sifting through the heap of bones he picked up one that caught his eye. It was fresh, and he knew it was a Goblin bone, remains from the vile creatures recent attack.  He glared at it as if it would speak, his face began to sweat, his eyes twitched...

"BONES!!! IT MUST BE BONE!!!" he cried before running down the halls at full speed.

"Fey Dwarf fey Dwarf!" GuppyShark another early arrival from SedNet cried out.  Soon an alarm went up as Zaphod and Ford Prefect found themselves in a sudden rush of Dwarfs.

"Hey hey little guys, what is all the howling about? It is sounding suddenly very unhip!" Rawtooth one of the best engravers in the Valley looked up.

"A Dwarf has been taken by the Fey little Starman." he snorted "It is a strange and unknown force that can seize any Dwarf, it brings either joy, or madness to its victim." Zaphod shrugged and looked to Ford.

"Sounds like an average night of drinking a Pan-galactic Gargle Blaster to me Ford." Ford nodded
"I doubt they have those here, so I guess it is the next best thing, but look at the bugger go.  I don't think I have ever seen you move so fast while drunk!" Indeed within moment Peptuck had seized a workshop high in one of the still unfinished buildings.

In no time the fevered Dwarf began to dash about grabbing bone, LOTS of bone.  Moving in ways no normal person should, the bone was fashioned together with yet more bone.  Soon it began to take shape, growing larger and larger. Suddenly the Dwarf sprang up, shouting to the sky.

IT IS DONE! before promptly collapsing.

Lintillia-B and the Dwarfs Vehrec and bilateralrope arrived first to the collapsed Dwarf.

"He looks utterly exhausted!" Lintilla-B sighed as the other two Dwarfs picked up the unconscious Peptuck

"Aye he is missy, but E'es survived the madness.  When he wakes up He will be a Hero! the first to survive the Fey among the Valley!"  loomer said as they carried him off.  Behind them Lintilla-B looked at what the Dwarf had fashioned.

"I know these people seem to let nothing go to waste, but making a piece of Furniture from BONE? How, Dwarfish..."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:01:47 pm by Crossroads Inc. »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2010, 07:39:55 am »

I would use the big yes button here, or set off a nuke in celebration, but that seems a bit lacking.

Yay.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2010, 07:08:09 pm »

YES! IT LIVES!
I Love this story; I'm glad to see it updated.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12