Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)  (Read 21895 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2012, 01:41:00 am »

Give them the best of rooms, offices, and tombs (where applicable) and then lock them into a tiny bedroom, occasionally dropping in food. The buggers won't work, so you'd have to dump whole barrels to prevent spoilage.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2012, 05:24:55 am »

((cue music “Journey of the Sorcerer”))

Hunting, is recounted as a primitive act of capturing and killing wild animals as a source for food.  On countless primitive worlds, this barbaric act is vital for gathering substance for backwater civilizations.  Even so, on many other worlds in the galaxy, the tribal act of Hunter grows into a ritualistic act for many civilizations; long after it has stopped being of any practical value.

The Vogons are said to import millions of Jewel encrusted scuttling crabs once a year fro the purpose of “hunting” them down with massive iron mallets. It is little wonder that, in these enlightened and more civilized times, such acts are happily on the decline.

However, on the small backwater world our brave heros find themselves on, ‘hunting’ is still very much a vital source of food. But, as we shall see, it is not wholly without it’s dangers.

Journal of Trisha McMillian
How the times do change!
I have always played an unofficial roll as advisor and organizer to the people of the settlement that has grown up around us.  But recently I have found myself put into the very middle of their politics as being made the first Mayor of the TallLabored! I feel rather embarrassed about the whole thing quite frankly, especially as I seemed to suffer some sort of momentary mental breakdown upon the announcement.  The Dwarves said that I had a "Fey" moment, which is wholly illogical.  Lintilla, Arthur, Ford and Zaphod watched the whole event, along with several Dwarves and aren’t really sure just what happened.
It really is fascinating and makes me yearn all the more for the equipment we were forced to leave behind on the
Heart of Gold
All I do know is I know have in my room a stone cabinet of immense value and a strange new understanding of how to work stone."

The Journal of Mr.Bean
“It has been over a month since the new migrants from the “Twelfth Bay" and the newcomers seems to be settling  well with their new jobs.  Those with skills in arms have, much to the delight of Darkevilme joined the militia.  Although it is now formally know as the “Fortress Guard” .
This ‘promotion’ to higher status is not unwelcomed, but seem to feel the denizens of “Twelfth Bay” have had much more input into the organizing of it’s announcement then those of us from Sednet whom first founded here.
But such is the way of the world.

The outer walls progress quickly under the watchful eye of the many “Lintilla” as well as Darkevilme.  While the outer wall is not fully encircled yet, passage into the Valley itself is restricted now to just the front gates. Any would be invader shall be forced to push their way through what, even I, consider to be a mighty and deadly entrance.

Outside the walls, one of our most mighty hunters Korvan seems intent on making the lands around TallLabored as safe and free as the land within our walls. He has shown himself quite adept with the use of a crossbow and his prowless in combat has become the talk of our great hall.  Indeed just the other day he brought low a Great Eagle, a truely mighty feat. 
He also seems to be courting Exonerate and it is the talk of the Fort that the two of them may soon be wed and send Gold back to their parents as payment.
I shall need to keep an eye upon him.

And so it was that indeed Korvan was applying his hunting skills to the wild surrounding the Valley of PalLabored. 

Crossbow in hand, the cunning Dwarf was stalking a large elk deep in the woods.  it was a true beauty and would be one more mark against the current trophy list of Mr.Bean.  Taking careful not to be heard, he drew, aimed, and stopped as suddenly in the clearing a howling snarling wolf lunged at the Elk.

A great howl went up as the beast latched into the Elk and began to drag it down. But it was no ordinary wolf. Almost twice the size of other wolves, it was nearly as big as the Elk itself. This of course mattered little to the thoughts of the Dwarf. 

"OY!!! That be my kill ye blargard!" Korvan shouted as he re-aimed his bolt and fired right into the side of the Wolf.  Yelping and lunching back the wolf turned on it's attacker, quickly picking Korvan out of his hiding place in the bushes.  It howled and lunged forward!  Standing his ground, Korvan drew his Crossbow up once more, firing two more shorts.  One lodged firmly in the wolfs Right eye the other in the beasts Left front leg. Stunned it fell to the floor whining.

"YAR!! That teach ye to muscle in on my Territory!" the Dwarf said as he prepared to go in for the Kill...  But the wolf was far from down for the fight.  As if waiting for the right moment, it lunged up at Korvan and latched firmly onto his Left Lower Leg. Korvan bellowed out as he felt the teeth sink into his flash.. Snarling himself now, he brought his Crossbow down hard onto the Wolfs back, sure he heard something snap; the Wolf let go, but only for a moment.

Snarling wildly, blood oozing down from its one ruined eye, it charged the Dwarf again.  Prepared this time, Korvan shielded himself with his Left Lower Arm.  The leather armor providing modest protection to the piercing teeth of the Wolf.  Korvan struggled to pull back, feeling the loss of blood from his own open wounds, he knew he had to end this quickly.

"By Armok I'll See ye done for before I draw my last breath!" He bellowed as grabbed one of the remaining crossbow bolts.  Brining his left hand down hard, he speared it deep into the Wolfs other eye.  There was a final howling yelp, before Korvan pushed it forward, puncturing the wolfs Brain and leaving it still

Exhausted, spent and sitting in a pool of his own blood, Korvan feel back, looking up at the sky. His vision dimmed as he blacked out and saw no more...

Slowly, the world came back to the Dwarf.. Sounds, Voices, and the touch of someone at his side. He was sure he had died, this had to be the afterlife.  But if it was, he sure was in a great deal of pain for being dead...

"He Is coming around! Trillian quick give me that water!" A voice. One of the star people? Had they also died?"
"Here Lintilla, Ford and Arthur will be back any moment with the needles, this leg needs sewing up quickly or we will still loose him!" Surely he couldn't still be alive? He tried to move and agony wracked his body.

"Korvan KORVAN! Blast it don't move, you have lost a lot of blood, but we are keeping the wounds down as best we can! Some get his arm, he needs to keep still!"  The voice trailed off as he closed his eyes... Bloody Hell, Sod this if he was still alive, it hurt far too much.
"I think we are loosing him! ARTHUR HURRY!" The voice seemed farther away...

"Korvan... Korvan if you die right now, I will hunt you down in the Underworld and kill you there!' A new voice? One he knew.. His lips trembled...

"Ex-Exonerate?"

"Aye it be me Korvan my love!" The Dwarf said, Exonerate beard almost as long as Korvans as the Dwarf held him fast. "And ye ai'nt gonna leave me yet! I'll curse you to the seven hells if you make me raise this child on me own!" The voice of Exonerate said with a well meaning snarl.
Korvan stired again.
"Child? B-but we..."

"Aye that be true. The Golem confirmed it with his magic, we have a wee little one on the way, and I'll be damned if I let you pop off now!" Exonerate said, tears in the Dwarfs eyes.

Korvan stired again, the color coming back to him now even as Trillian and Lintilla began to sew up his leg, the needle piercing in and out.

"HAARR!! YE won't take me yet Armok then! HA! A child! Aye, I be a Daddy!" He said, around him the other Dwarves began to cheer.

Bloodied, battered, wounded, and unable to walk, Korvan hefted his blood spattered Crossbow high overhead as Exonerate stood next to him announcing plans to Marry.  Life grows and a new day dawns.

And far, far out amongst the hills and trees, great, hulking dark shapes of death and carnage, converged upon the Valley…

=======
NEXT CHAPTER!!!
An Interrupted Wedding!
Humans in the Valley
Something Sinister Approaches
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:28:01 am by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2012, 03:57:11 pm »

Nice update!

Does the version you're playing with already have dwarven healthcare, or are you using tools to heal up dwarves?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 25, 2012, 06:28:31 am »

Healthcare? what is this "He-alth-kare" you speak of?
This is 0.28! We get injuries and become bedridden FOREVER and thats it!.

And I am using a MAC too! Which means NO utilities or tools for healing either.
So unless you have a version of 28 around and equally old Dwarfhack addon... Theres about a half Dozen Dwarves that will be bed ridden for all time :P

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 25, 2012, 10:10:22 am »

UPDATE TIME!!!

First, an overview of fort stats:

Second, overview of the current Military.

Now ONTO THE FORT!

A:The Garden.  (I really got sick of seeing heaps of sand on EVERY SINGLE grass tile, and wanted ONE clear area where I could see grass :P
B: Above ground farms and workshops
C: Storerooms
D: Stoneblock stockpiles (with the undercity under construction, there is more then enough stone for building the outer walls.)
E: Grand Hall
F: Entrance to Crucible of Armok aka forges
G: Mayors Office
H: Stables

NEXT!

Not much to say bout that pic, other then how awesome the front walls look with all those siege engines.

NEXT!

Um...Woops, ok so I forgot to change the letters to ABC.
Not much really, the central circle is going to eventually be the center of the CityGaurd.
The little pathway at the bottom is the garbage dump.
And then just pictures of the upper workshop floors.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2012, 07:13:12 pm »

I like how it all looks natural, and organic
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:20 pm »

Thanks, but it seems oyur the only one interested.. Its hard to keep going when there seems little support :/

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2012, 03:55:42 am »

These are teh interwebz, where much of the support is like me: quiet but appreciative. You are a genuinely skilled writer who can convey an idea or event comically, which is no mean feat. I really enjoy reading this story, and would love to see it continue, and I believe that there are many who would agree with me.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2012, 04:57:49 am »

I SUPPORT!! Have been reading for the past 2 days and would greatly appreciate it if you would continue. This is my only connection now to the awesomeness that is THHGTTG :'( Other than the books of course, but you can only read then so many times per year before they are engrained in your head like...like...hell I dunno, something really memorable. You are doing a good job of recreating unique and interesting interactions between the canon characters, as well as extras supplied by the game :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2012, 10:49:13 pm »

Thanks for that :) good to have support, hope ot have the next installment out soon.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2012, 10:31:12 pm »

((cue music “Journey of the Sorcerer”))

The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the topic of Marriage:
Considered an ancient and rather outmoded ceremony that has existed for as long as sapient beings have been knocking each other up with un planned pregnancies.
Traditionally beginning as nothing more then a form of business transaction between species, it has since evolved on many a world into a overly complicated and often drama filled ritual that can often consume, infuriate, and destroy the couple it is supposed to be brining together.

Among the race known simple as Dwarves it is a far more simple ceremony that nonetheless has it’s moments of high drama.

Spring had arrived in Tall-Labored. It had been over a month since the vicious attack upon Korvan by an equally vicious Dire Wolf.  It would have gone very poorly for the Dwarf, save of news that his beloved had been with child and that his beloved, Exonerate would hunt him down into the netherworld, should he die too quickly.

Such things can motivate even the most wounded of individuals to cling to the small thread of life.

And so it was, that down in the valley of Tall-Labored a  ceremony was getting underway between the individuals Exonerate and Korvan One of whom, just happened to be wheeled outside in a bed, with bandages and splints covering much of his body, but none the less active enough to participate.

Much of the Valley had turned out, a day of celebration held in honor of a single moment of happiness in an otherwise dreary existence. 

Around the Dwarves, the crew of the defunct Heart of Gold watched with interest as two large piles of gold were carted up to each of the Dwarves getting married.

“Ok Trillian, explain this to me again.
“Well Arthur, as I understand it from Lintilla, Dwarves place a great deal of stock in raising children.  It is a very expensive and long process, and it is seen as an “investment” for them to raise a Dwarf to adulthood.  When two Dwarfs get married then, it is seen as customary for each Dwarf to “buy” the other from it’s parents, basically paying them back for all they spent raising them.
“Buying them? That sounds a bit cold and callous. Don’t you think Trillian?” Ford stepped in at the moment, large drink in hand.

“Well I don’t know about that Arthur old friend. There are a lot of stranger marriage rights out there in the galaxy after all. Look at you Humans! All that business with rings, and fancy clothes? And not having kids before getting wed? What is the sense in that?”  Arthur said nothing, wishing to change the topic quickly under Fords lascivious gaze.

“Well all I would like to know, is which one of them is the wife and which one is the husband? I, well, I can never bloody well tell them apart!”  There was silence for a moment, as virtually every Dwarf turned, glared at Arthur for a moment, before the ceremony continued.

It was about an hour later, The sun was shinning, and the crew of the Heart of Gold, sat eating the Dwarf equivalent of “Cake” while loud sounds of merriment came from inside the large Cave. 

High atop the main walls, a shout from one of the new Guards, from Twelfth Bay, a certain Petra alerted  those down in the Valley.

“Incoming Rider! Ahoy Ahoy! We be getting Caravans!!!”

A rush of Dwarves from inside soon followed, many bringing out telescopes to eye the distant approaching figures.

“AH! I should have known better, it’s a group of beastman again! They usually show up in the spring, couldn’t have made better timing!” a certain Vogonpoet spoke as he came out from the cave, his head festooned with an +Iron Party hat+ of his own making.  His telescope being passed to Joviwam who took a look as well.

“Aye, lets see, Racconmen, and a rider from the Jacklemen, and, what be this? Humans?”
Arthur and Trillian immediately turned around
“HUMANS?” they both spoke in unison.

“Are you sure about that Joviwam? I know oyu refer to all of us as ‘StarPeople’ but our Arthur and my own species are Human.  You never said anything before!” Trillian said turning to the Dwarf as Arthur seemed ot sulk.
“Well they “Look” Humans, of course that doesn’t mean very much, I mean, most of the aliens I have met in the Galaxy seem to look just like Humans” Arthur said, casting an eye to Ford as he strode up drink in hand.

“In either case this is a Fascinating opportunity Arthur.  Oh goodness, I guess I need to be official about being “Mayor” and go out to meet them.” Trillian said as she and a few guards went out of the front gates.

Inside, the party was breaking up temporary, the call had gone out, and bins full of the previous years best trinkets where being carted out to the trade Depot.

Inside the cave, Trillian, to her amazement, found herself indeed holding a meeting with "Humans", a Mr Ceslaz Jathrurnohus”  conducting the affair."

"We had heard about the Dwarves starting a new outpost, they are an industrious people after all.  But we did not expect such progress so quickly, or we would have sent Guild members much earlier" Ceslaz said.

"Well, we have been giving them some extra help, there are a few new innovations that we have shared with the." Trillian said as she pulled out a large parchment.
"The trade agreement will do nicely, and it will be a great joy to us to have some one we can purchase clothing from that comes in our sizes.  Dwarf clothes do not exactly tailor well" Trillian said as Ceslaz chuckled.

'I would imagine, and you, all come from the stars then? You, those strange look-a-likes, and that creature with two heads?" Ceslaz Said.
"In a way yes, but, I think you would find us far more alike then different.  For as long as we are on this world, we hope to make friends as best we can." She said... Choosing NOT to ask too much about the "Humans" of this world, or saying that she and Arthur were also Humans. 
Things were complicated enough, no sense in making it worse.
Life after all, would do that on its own...

"ORCS!!! ORCS IN THE WOODS!"
 The shout rang across the valley... The Dwarf Mangled rang the alarm as he shouted over and over again.  The single word began to be repeated over and over again..
"ORCS! Orcs. Orcs Orcs!"

Orcs had come to PaleLabored. 

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »

Nassty Orksesss.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2012, 02:58:49 pm »

Working on the next post, going to be Huuuuuge.
Going to break it up into several posts ;P

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2012, 09:36:36 pm »

The valley, which only moments ago was full of the peace of trade and commerce, was now in an uproar of panic and running Dwarves.  The Merchants inside looked around fearfully as DarkEvilMe gathered up the militia.

Several of the Dwarves converged into the rickety scaffolding around what would be the main barracks.  It was currently the tallest structure in the valley. 

Looking out over the valley and hills beyond, they saw the dark ships of ROCS assembling together...

'They, just be standing there, it be like they are taunting us!" Darkevilme hissed, clenching sword and shield.
"Aye these not be like other Orcs I have heard of, they seem, organized." Mr.Bean noted he watched the black dark figures slowly line up on the furthest hills around the valley.
"Thar be something at work here. Usually they just dash blindly at us." Mr.Bean turned to Darkevilme. "Dark this be it, no sense waiting for them ta charge, get everyone up to the towers."
"The unfinished towers" Darkevilme said with a snort.
"Aye aye, ye can chide me about finishing defenses if we be living through this, for now get a move on it!" Mr.Bean bellowed, on either side of him Petra and Mangled from the Twelfth bay watched."
"Get everyone ye can down bellow. YOU! Petra Get the beasts and game inside as well, ye can complain about the smell later.  I not be wanting anything for them to shoot out ifen they get inside!"  There was a pause as Petra snorted.
"Ifen they get in matie, we be having far bigger things ta worry about!" he shouted before running off.

By now the others had come up onto the rickety scaffolding.
Arthur and Ford marched up as Mr.Bean nodded.
"Glad ye kin make it Starpeople. I knew this day would come, I just dinna think it be so soon" Mr.Bean said grimily as Ford and Arthur looked out.
"I say Ford, seems they are unfurling something."
"Flags and banners, a LOT of them Arthur!"

Huge red flags billowed in the stale breeze.  Wicked and hooked spears held the flags as well, each emblazoned with a great red EYE in front of what looked like black lightning bolts. The orcs lined up, not moving but stomping up and down, creating a horrific rumbling that echoed along the whole valley.

From behind the line, a single Orc rose out on a savage BeakDog. His voice boomed out over the Valley.

"Tremble in terror before the might of those that serveUløv Ranotautax, the ONE EYE!'" The orc bellowed as a chant came up from the ravenous hoard around it.
"ONE-EYE
ONE-EYE
ONE-EYE"
"Know that his armies are without end or mercy! We will descend upon your valley and gnaw all that is in it to the BONE! We shall trample and break and rend this valley into nothingness! No one shall be left alive!"

From their spot amongst the crowd of other Dwarves, Arthur turned to Ford.
"What a terribly unpleasant fellow, reminds me a bit of the Vogons." Arthur said as Ford shrugged
"Nah, these guys actually seem a bit more bright then Vogans, have to give them some credit.  Still, we've faced worse."
"Have we? I'd say we are all going to die Ford, but it feels redundant at this point."

Down in the valley the trading post was packing up as fast as possible. the pack animals were being led down into the caves as an argument was breaking out between the beast people, Humans and Dwarves.

"What be going on here! We be having bigger problems!" Thomodite shouted.  Argonnek The Dwarf looked around.
"I, well, dey be wanting to join us. I wasn’t sure what to do, I'm a trader! I just asses how much something is worth!" Argonnek said haplessly.
"Join us?" Thomodite asked
"That is true good Dwarf, we of the Human city Mong Reme shall not let you face such danger alone.  My warriors and those of the beast men shall ride out into the field of battle for death or glory!" Ceslaz said, giving a smart salute to the Dwarf.
Thomodite smiled.

"Well ye most welcome to join us matie.  But we be hoping it shalnt come to having to ride out into death." He said, as he watched the line of Dwarves marching up the half completed towers, crossbows in hand.

Down inside the caves, Trillian and the Lintillas were hard at work.

"I know how much you three want to help defend, but we all really need you down here in the forges." Trillian said as she was helping another Dwarf blacksmith, curiously called Voganpoet carry up iron bars.

'We all know it as well.  The stocks of Crossbow bolts has been low, we need to begin smelting the bards down immediately if we are to get more ammunition to them during the fight." Lintilla said as Lintilla looked up.
"There will be a fight then? Not just a skirmish or ambush with these goblins? This, is the real thing?" Lintilla said as Trillian nodded.
"It looks like it sadly.  I have studied ancient history on Earth enough to know that we will be lucky to survive this" She said as she began throwing Iron into the forges. Voganpoet pulling out his hammer.

"Aye ye Starpeole need not fret.  Our warrior be having lots of practice on the goblin buggers.  Have faith ye all, ARMOK shall protect us!" he said, hammering out molten iron as the sound of horns echoed outside.

The Valley went silent for a moment as the thunder of Orcish horns deafened all.
"ONE EYES!!! ATTTTAAAAACKKKK[/i]" the Orcish commander bellowed

The ORCS were on the march!

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2012, 10:44:20 pm »

The ORCS must DIE!!!
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12