Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)  (Read 21904 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, NEED RECRUITS!!!
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2010, 02:09:29 am »

I meant that i want to build my own personal soap palace. but thats what i get for posting at whatever o'clock.

And Oh noooo...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Community)
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2010, 09:15:16 am »

So heres a question, If Through this open as a community fort, who wants a turn trying to play it?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Community)
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2010, 09:28:30 am »

Succession.[/termanologynazi]
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
Re: The HitchHikers Guild to the Dwarfish Galaxy, (Open to Succession)
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2010, 05:36:11 pm »

But i like community games :C
I am a Goober.

longgonejohn

• Bay Watcher
  • This and that
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2010, 10:34:15 pm »

I love your writing style, it is very close to Mr. Adams. I would like to see this go on.
"Work, is the bane of the drinking class."

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2010, 03:46:32 pm »

Well unfortunately my Computer crashed....HARD
Given that the game was dependent on some now obscure mods, until I get a new harddrive I don't know when the next update will be :(

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »

Computer is still Dead, but I have the save file an am looking for some assitance.

Anyone who has pre .31 DF visualizer or Stonesense PLEASE contact me! I despertly want to get some 3d pics of the map to put up while I am getting a new computer

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2010, 12:40:50 am »

The main thread for Visual Fortress is here. I don't think that it will work with the 40d# versions, but it works with regular 40d just fine.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2010, 02:13:44 pm »

The problem is I am running the game on my mac, as far as I know, at least for 40d, there is no Stonesense or DwarfVis for Mac. or OSX

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2010, 06:47:27 pm »

In that case I suggest you get a windows emulator for your mac. You can run DF on it, (I've heard that it provides better performance than the mac version, but can't confirm) and use Vis. Fortress as well.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2010, 02:01:25 am »

Ok so here is the plan, Top floor living area. Second floor store rooms. Third floor (shown) Workshops.
Apparently if you put workshops either above or below a living area it create an "unhappy thought" from the noise, so putting in the stockpile floor between them creates a buffer.

Currently problem is its so Far REALLY hard to design a good population layout for the design I have.  I want to do a big circular type city, but it will make areas harder to design. 
Open to ideas.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:11:01 am by Crossroads Inc. »

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2010, 04:34:25 pm »

How long did it take to designate that?
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2010, 01:24:06 pm »

((cue music “Journey of the Sorcerer”))

From the Journal of Trisha Mc Millan, Mayor of TallLaborted

It has been over three weeks since the “invasion” of the small creatures the Dwarfs call ‘Kobolds’.  While they have come up in the past, no one is sure why so many appeared on just one day.  The Dwarf I have come to know as “DarkEvilMe  and her forces have taken steps to sop the situation from happening in the future.

I can’t help but feel they have been a bit excessive, as they have begun constructing Dwarf sized siege engines and ballista with immense ion bolts.  With the amount of important tasks at hand I questioned the use of any of our limited resources for such constructions. Although after asking an engineer, a CaptainChewy about the plan, the only response I got was “It is the Will of Amrok” and do not wish to push it further.

Mr.Bean meanwhile continues to push for Civic improvements and we have expanded the living facilities even further.  I also have convinced the Dwarfs to make a more permanent trash disposal system (as opposed to the current method simply dumping garbage outside the fortress walls) by means of digging an opening over the magma vent we currently have utilized for the forges. 

There was a bit of hesitation about using the “Blood of Armok” for simple garbage disposal, but after a series of creatures leapt from the pit and tried to attack, the Dwarfs have taken it in stride and now practice pelting the beasts with the trash.  (more or less true after initially opening the garbage dump, the first Dwarfs down all fled under “Interrupted by fire Imp” till I sent DarkEvilMe and Crew down to dispatch them and shot them full of +iron bolts+)

Still we have continuous housing issue despite expansions.  There have been more and more immigrants coming.  Mr.Bean and Joviwam seem to be doing their best to get accomidations sorted out:

However Lintilla, Slartibartfast, Lintilla nad I have begun to plan out a more permanent settlement to be carved out in the base of the mountain.  Based on my research into the Dwarf living arrangements and economic requirements of a population that may reach as high as 200 individuals.
=====================================

Another short update, mostly as after the kolbold invasion things seem to have settled down.  Of course that means that the time from the next Ambush is most likely fast approaching
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:18:12 am by Crossroads Inc. »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2010, 03:07:35 pm »

The dorfs shall shoot ion bolts! Also, I don't think ballistae can fire on different z-levels.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2010, 10:35:40 am »

((cue music “Journey of the Sorcerer”))

The Sapient Brain is a curious thing.
Across the endless Galaxy from all the different varieties of life that have given rise to that curious thing known as "intelligence" it is still little understood what strange spark gives rise to the endless creativity of sapient life in general.   For the Species known as "Dwarf" The brains they have evolved seem exceptional attuned (or perhaps mistuned) for creative fits of madness that can even the simplest of minds to delve into utter insanity.

Korvan[/i] toiled in his leather working shop, as one of the few with an affinity for skinning and crafting leather, he had been tasked by Mr.Bean to turn out some desperately needed leather bags for the overfull storage areas.  Backpacks too where needed and for the past few days Korvan had been using up the small supply of leather to finnish his assigned tasks.  Finally after using up the last bit of +Cow Leather+ he sighed in relief.  no more Leather meant no more work, finally he could relax!

No more leather after all... Leather, no leather, none, none of it! Needed leather though NeEd Leather LeaTHer Need NEEEDDDDDD- <snap>

""FEY DWARF EVERYONE OUT OF THE WAY FEY DWARF!!!" ShadowDragon shouted as Korvan Tore out of his workshop foaming at the mouth.
"What the bloody hell is going on in there!" Mr.Bean[/i] demanded as a group of Dwarves gathered outside one of the workshop.
"Sir! It's Korvan He's gone FEY! He's demanding Leather but, Sir, he just used it all up!" Mr.Bean slapped his face.
"Ye gods! Never use up everything he should know that! Always have something left! What are we gonna do about dis?"
"Sir Sir! He's eyeing the cats!"

A sudden hush came over the assembled Dwarfs as a foaming mad Korvan picked up one of the stray cats that lived among the Dwarves.
"Mew?" said the cat,
"Leather!" said Korvan.

The next few moments where horrific and should not be recounted in any family friendly publication like The Hitchhikers Guide But needless to say one brave feline gave it's life (horrifically) to Dwarf Society.

By the end of the day a small crowd had gathered around the workshop.
"It such a strange phenomena, I wish I had better equipment to study this!" Lintilla said as she stood above the others
"It gives me the creeps, did you see what he did to that Cat?"  Arthur said a bit morosely
"Thats nothing Arthur, you should what the Vogans do once a year to the crabs they ship in from planet Vogsphere!" Ford said as together they watched the spectacle.  As dawn rose the next day, an exhausted Korvan[/i] finally finished his labors.

"Well at least the cat ended up given it's life for something truly, Dwarfish, I guess the rest of the feline population can rest safe." Trillian said as the assembled went back to their dully appointed tasks. At the exact moment however, as if by the law of narrative causality, One of the few remaining kittens out on the valley hills had just discovered something...

======================================================
NEXT EPISODE!!!
The fourth battle of TallLabore!
Plans for the new city finalized!
And... Something Sinister Approaches!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:24:33 am by Crossroads Inc. »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12