Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF IRC Problems  (Read 1511 times)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF IRC Problems
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »

The bay12games channel on irc is my favourite place to discuss things on the net. Recently we moved to newnet from worldirc. This was fine until I got banned, for no apparent reason. I have posted about this in the newnet support forum http://www.newnet.net/newnewnet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2516&p=6726#p6726 and also on this forum http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=32504.0. The problem is that newnet has only one irc admin and he is an empty account. Since he was made admin he has never even logged into newnet. I don"t know how many DF players have been affected by this but I imagine not everyone would fight about it as hard as me. What I want from this community if it is at all possible is:

A) Move back to worldirc
B) Change to a new network
C) Get one of our channel ops with some spare time admin rights on newnet and get them to fire the retard they have at the moment.

All of these options have their problems and difficulties but I am part of this community and I feel wronged and violated at having my right to fully participate in this community taken away by the incompetence of a 3rd party.

Discuss.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: DF IRC Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:42 pm »

What's this newnet thing?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:06:01 pm »

It"s just an irc network, one of thousands. One that has no active admins.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:08:51 pm »

Hell, *I* can answer that for you.  There's a big list maintained of "ISPs that continually assault IRC servers and/or are full of virused zombies" and they really have no choice but to ban them.  Works like some email spam filters that filter by host of origin.

Use Mibbit, instead.  www.mibbit.com I think.  They're trusted, well, everywhere--you connect through the web app, instead of from your own IP.  And you're not "evading the ban" because the simple fact that you are using Mibbit means that you are not one of the zombies they are trying to keep out.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 08:20:14 pm »

Thanks for the mibbit suggestion. I knew about it but I didnt think of using it for this. Still it is only a temporary solution I want to use my chat client and having to use mibbit is far from convenient. Zombie attacks does not excuse having no admins at all, you need to have support for people that are wrongfully banned.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:49 pm »

Ok, just for future searchers, the solution is to go to http://rbl.efnetrbl.org/. There you can check if your ip was banned and why, and request that it be unbanned.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 09:39:00 am »

I still don't understand, that why you lads ain't using quakenet. There is a DF channel already: #dwarffortress

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 09:51:27 am »

Can we all please agree to ONE channel, and have it linked on the Bay12 site?

Because right now it is a mess; three different rooms, and the most inactive one is linked on the Bay12 site.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 11:39:10 am »

Worldirc had some issues, and Newnet is split in half while I'm writing this, So I guess migrating elsewhere might be in order. Choosing one official channel sounds like a great idea, but I don't really know enough about irc networks to say which one would be good.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »

Newnet is the new one. Quakenet wouldn't work because honestly, no-one's ever on and thus giving ops to those who need it would be a nightmare. WorldIRC is dead, and the reason we moved is because even though it does have an occasional netsplit, on average they only last for 15 seconds, as opposed to the 2 hours or more (we moved because they were once down for 3 days without any form of backup or support when we attempted to contact them)
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 09:18:46 pm »

Update: After getting unbanned from newnet I was banned again in about 3 days. Someone on my network has something on their computer or something but I still think the system is too sensitive. I just joined quakenet and there appear to be a bunch of my favourite forum posters there so I will hang out there until I get banned again.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:51:36 pm »

Unfortunately I've got no ability to unban IP stuff like that, only being in control of the channel itself.

Nobody uses worldirc anymore, really. Certainly, I see very few who advocate a return to that craptastic network.

Again, Quakenet isn't an option for an official IRC channel for DF since it has always been 3rd party. As well as for Dasleah's reasons.

Right now there are 79 people in newnet's Bay12Games channel, and a considerable number are active. I also have ops who are, usually, around 24/7. I think that's pretty good.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games