Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To go with the ravagers: Dwarf Superweapons  (Read 2260 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To go with the ravagers: Dwarf Superweapons
« on: March 18, 2009, 05:20:31 pm »

I'm thinking of building a mod for myself (and anyone interested) incorporating a few other things I've tinkered with. I'd refine the Ravagers, for one thing, so that they were more badass than they already are. Now, here's the laundry list, if I ever decide to DO this thing:

Replace Goblin Ravagers with Orc-based Ravagers (civ-creating, reproducing, hyper-aggressive beings which have the size, damblock, and immunities of a bronze colossus, plus some more like magma immunity and trapavoid)

Add a smelter reaction (or reactions) allowing dwarves to create adamantine (via extremely expensive alloy of MANY other metals, to the point where value is LOST in the creation of adamantine)

Add in the Tools of Armok, a set of weapons I'm thinking up that are essentially one-man superweapons. Heavy beyond reason (a champion can do little more than move at a crawl) and taking an excessive amount of resources (MANY bars/wafers), but with damage ratings that go well beyond ridiculous (the Hammer of Armok, for example, might weigh in excess of fifteen thousand units and cost six bars, but have a damage rating of eight hundred)

Thoughts? I'm seriously thinking of doing the Tools of Armok bit if I can find a reason to do it. Who cares if you move at a crawl, you can reduce a dragon to its constituent atoms with one shot!
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: To go with the ravagers: Dwarf Superweapons
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:06 pm »

The Tools of Armok must require a very rare gem only found in terribly small clusters deep within the ground. These gems are called "The Heart of Armok." The tools made from these gems are just that, tools for controlling their power.

Rename the dwarves to Dwemmer, and you owe me a pair of pants 'cuz I'll piss myself in excitement.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:35:05 pm »

Thoughts? I'm seriously thinking of doing the Tools of Armok bit if I can find a reason to do it. Who cares if you move at a crawl, you can reduce a dragon to its constituent atoms with one shot!

The only problem I can see there is that because criticals are so much better than even high-damage hits, you might well be worse off with a Tool of Armok than with a normal weapon, since you could get more hits in.

I think that rather than seriously disadvantaging the dwarf wielding it, I'd take the adamantine-creation route: Make a special "armok-metal" that requires an obscene number of resources to create, but is extremely powerful. If you set the name to "Armok's", it will even show up as +Armok's sword+ and such like that. By "obscene", of course, I mean "ten steel bars, ten gold bars, ten platinum bars, and ten adamantine wafers per bar." Damage/damblock around 1500, thus making it three times as good as adamantine.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:09:35 pm »

The Tools of Armok must require a very rare gem only found in terribly small clusters deep within the ground. These gems are called "The Heart of Armok." The tools made from these gems are just that, tools for controlling their power.

Rename the dwarves to Dwemmer, and you owe me a pair of pants 'cuz I'll piss myself in excitement.

You know, next time I play Morrowind I'm going to make ultrastrength potions, go to the museum in Mournhold, and jack the giant hammer.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:01:19 am »

Add in the Tools of Armok, a set of weapons I'm thinking up that are essentially one-man superweapons. Heavy beyond reason (a champion can do little more than move at a crawl) and taking an excessive amount of resources (MANY bars/wafers), but with damage ratings that go well beyond ridiculous (the Hammer of Armok, for example, might weigh in excess of fifteen thousand units and cost six bars, but have a damage rating of eight hundred)

Issue: speed is universal. If a dwarf can only take a step every 500 frames, he can only swing his weapon once every 500 frames. That means if your Armok-wielding champion is charging at a kobold, the kobold is likely to charge right back and get 400-some-odd chances to stab him in the brain before he brings that monstrosity to bear. Until move speed and attack speed are separated (and even then, only if the implementation is a delay before an action rather than after), this just won't work.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:34 am »

I dunno, an artifact or well-made Adamantine weapon is already obscenely powerful. A Exceptionally well made Adamantine Warhammer would do 1000% the damage of an normal iron hammer. It might as well be sundering atoms and the smashing the fabric of time and space itself on impact.

But yeah, making your weapon super heavy would make your warrior welding it a sitting duck for just about anything.

Perhaps you can mod in a material with 1000% damage/quality rating that requires a mountains' worth of valuable materials to produce. Something akin to the complexity of manufacturing a nuclear weapon, only in hand-held weapon form.

I'm tempted to get some Adamantine and carry it via adventure mode to a "Human Fortress" site to make an obscenely powerful Adamantine Great Axe or Maul for a human adventurer.

Also, I'm curious about something. If I made some adamantine coins, would they be 500% more effective then an Iron coin? Could I be decapitating megabeasts with my stack of adamantine shirkens?

Well, an Adamantine ballista projecticle thrown as a weapon would be a world-ending superweapon in its own right.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:00:51 pm »

I might wind up just doing the superalloy suggestion. I wouldn't have it require adamantine, but it would take a crap ton of everything else.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:55:08 am »

I agree that some weapons a really powerful, and doing 30k damage to a body part is the same as doing 20k, is the same as 1k, unless they are an adamantine destroyer, or armok himself...
I like the alloy idea, making armor to die for, because there is always the kobold willing to stab you 500 times, and you need a good defense...
BTW, if there was a kobold attacking you, how do the counter-attacks work as far as speed goes?
For instance, i've taken my trusty hammer and attacked a horde of creatures, and i take a steap, 15 attack me, and they fly off in various directions in the time it takes me to move my foot...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:04:55 am »

I agree that some weapons a really powerful, and doing 30k damage to a body part is the same as doing 20k, is the same as 1k, unless they are an adamantine destroyer, or armok himself...
I like the alloy idea, making armor to die for, because there is always the kobold willing to stab you 500 times, and you need a good defense...
BTW, if there was a kobold attacking you, how do the counter-attacks work as far as speed goes?
For instance, i've taken my trusty hammer and attacked a horde of creatures, and i take a steap, 15 attack me, and they fly off in various directions in the time it takes me to move my foot...

Counter attacks are "free" movement/ speedwise. So the faster your enemy attacks you, and the more ineptly that enemy attacks you, the more free hits you get on them.

Yeah, at some point a dozen carp/wolves, ect will attack you all at once, and before its even your turn to go, most of them are spattered against trees and extremely dead.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:18:27 am »

Has anyone done a metals mod that uses gems? I thinking something along the lines of Diablo 2 how different socketed gems would affect stats.

There's a mountain of different gems of varying value. Make star sapphire + steel into something (or a combination of 3 very rare gems, if you want it harder to make) I think you'd need to do this for every combination you wished to make, but it could prove interesting. Better than just requiring a zillion tons of more common materials, IMO.

Additionally, you could also add gem reactions so you could take a number of more common gems and smelt them into a rarer one. I know its a fairly common gameplay element, but gems could use some more utility.

[Edit]

I see the minerals mod has something like I described. Maybe I'll play with it a bit.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:27:59 am by Martin »

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 08:36:24 am »

I can't test it right now, but you could probably save a lot of smelter space (and player headache) by giving the gems REACTION_CLASSes. I've found that anything with a matgloss will accept almost any matgloss tag, whether it's a stone, metal, or whatnot.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.