Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves prefer uncommon tasks  (Read 831 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves prefer uncommon tasks
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

As a means of prioritizing tasks that doesn't have the player explicitly saying "this task is more important than that task", which to me smacks of removing free will from the dwarves, I suggest that dwarves prefer doing tasks that only they (or only a few dwarves) can do. So for example, if you have both furnace operating and armorsmithing turned on for a dwarf, and there are other furnace operators but not other armorsmiths, then he should prefer smithing over furnace work, so long as smithing jobs are available. Similarly, miners should prefer to mine over doing hauling tasks, so long as there are plenty of hauling jobs available.

Yes, you can handle this yourself by turning labors on and off, but again, that's more micromanagement than I think this game really needs. And yes, this is pretty minor. It'd still be a nice improvement.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves prefer uncommon tasks
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

The ability to fiddle with how much a job pays and making dwarves want higher paying jobs would make this work as well.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

Yes, I like this idea. The payment option would work too but I am all for the dwarves behaving smartly without the need for me to push them around
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:01:00 am »

Having some control over which jobs are more lucrative could be nice; especially if it's worked through a noble.