Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your most badass dwarf ever  (Read 4986 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Your most badass dwarf ever
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 10:21:55 pm »

I had a dwarf in Cogalek (Boothumor) that once tantrumed, picked up a boot, and threw it at the mayor. the mayor had been named 'Bushy', the herbalist before his election.

how ironic.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 11:23:03 pm »

I had a legendary miner who breached an underground pool and was ambushed by 5 olmmen, 6 lizardmen and 3 giant toads. He fled, I drafted him, he picked up his warhammer and smacked the all to the other side of the pool. In the process he lost his left leg, and after 32 years is working as my bookkeeper.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 11:35:10 am »

There is a topic like this in every two weeks.  ;D
Ah well...my most badass dwarf [I guess we are talking about the vanilla version..] is definitely my heroic spearsdwarf. Some dragon has invaded the fortress, it killed a few cats and wardogs plus 2 dwarves also. That was the time, when I ordered my military to go outside.
Some mediocre spearsdwarf was the first who reached the dragon. He was soloing the mighty beast. After a short period, the dragon was killed, and the spearsdwarf received no injuries at all. [I guess the little bastard had a special "mortal strike" ability or something  ;D] It was an epic moment.  8)
You should name him Saint George

wildfire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 11:57:13 am »

You guys think your dwarves are epic? This is an epic dwarf  :D

Her Axe

Her Shield

Yes, my dwarf has been killing other dwarves for the last 50 years.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:59:39 am by wildfire »

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 02:25:52 pm »

Wow. Now THAT is badass :P

The only thing I have even close to "badass" is a hammerdwarf. He was the first of two to get a title, with something like 14 notable kills. Not TOO bad, considering this is my first serious fort and its only been running about 3 years.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 08:28:49 pm »

wildfire were all of those dwarven deaths your dwarves or were some of them dwarves that have been kidnapped by goblins

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 04:28:50 am »

My Hammerdwarf "Sunstrike" knocked a kobold thief 6 spaces back into a pool of magma.

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 05:04:08 pm »

LONG STUFF IS LONG.

Aight, I was building a fort in a freezing climate. First set of immigrants, I draft 6 of the peasants into my army, and set them to wrestle. Five of them hit champion fast, but one Uthil does not. He's too busy guzzling the beer down, I guess. I turned 4 of the champions towards marksdwarfship, and let the last champion wrestle against Uthil. Come next year, I've bought out the elven caravan, the dwarven caravan AND the human caravan, so my exported wealth is through the roof. And what's this? Ambushes, curse their demon blood. I put my small force to work and clear out the gobbos...

Only thing, all of my marksdwarves and the sole champion wrestler guy has 0 kills. Uthil kill-stealed all of them. I laugh at this, and gave the guy a bigger room, a tomb and an artifact mountain goat leather bag.

Then the incredible happened. A dragon! Without any parts missing! He came, breathed on the dwarves. All dodged. Then the marksdwarves started their usual DAKKADAKKA. I was watching it merrily, then I saw an announcement. Uthil has entered a martial trance. And promptly crushed the dragon's wings. And legs. And other extremities, while the marksdwarves were piercing it's internals. And he was named Uthil the Dragonsbane... a wrestledwarf. Still not legendary in anything but stats.

Sieges and ambushes were a dime a dozen, and Uthil managed to rack up his kill count to hundreds... while he still was a wrestler. Until one day. That day, the last surviving Titan wandered nearby. I've built traps to cage goblins for new marksdwarves, but he skipped them all. He was bent to destroy the very soul of Asthenshal, or Sabrebudded in common. He fixed his eyes on the trade depot, bashing through door and door, and finally he managed to demolish the depot.

Uthil was off-duty, at that time. But I had designated a barracks nearby with some food and booze, and the beer-guzzling kill-stealer he was, he was in the barracks. He was the first one to jump up to defend the fort as well. After a rigorous duel between a titan, the last of his kind, and Uthil, Uthil stood victorious. Victory came with a price, however, and thus Uthil was bedridden - his legs were mangled, and it took Uthil five years to heal. Dragonsbane Uthil, Titan Destroyer.

His story doesn't end like that, though, oh no. Five years later, in the coldest winter Sabrebudded has known, he was off-duty, guzzling ale in the main dining hall. I had a waterfall with the top open for the dwarves, but I kept it off due to cold. I wanted to give him an obsidian short sword as a present, so I hit the lever that controlled the obsidian farm...

But.. But... fate decided Uthil has seen everything, he had a wife, had two kids and a baby, cruel mistress fate decided Uthil had tasted all the things this mortal coil can have, and wanted him to battle on after this life. So, a farmer pulled the wrong switch... and the waterfall started to pour. I watched with horror. The water was so fast... and... so cruel. Uthil was flash-freezed. Fate singled him out. No other dwarf was entombed in ice, but just Uthil.

It was there and then I decided to honor him. I cleaned all the ice -all but the one that freezed him- out, built a workshop there and then, and made a statue out of ice. A dwarf statue. The statue is there for all dwarves to see, how fate can be a cruel mistress, but even then, she'll respect the ones who stood against her. Against all odds.

Yet, this is not an end. The end came to Sabrebudded at last, when the mischiveous fire imps got into the fort by a floor hatch. He ignited the booze stockpile near the workshops, and that fire spread quickly, supernaturally. In the ensuing madness, a tantruming dwarf hit the support near the entrance, thus caving the entrance in. No way out. Thus, Uthil Imkethdatan Nadakrecus Amkin (Uthil Justiceiron, the defended thirst of gladness - yes, he was drinking ALL THE TIME) slayer of 103 goblins,14 kobolds, 21 mountain gnomes, 6 rhesus macaques, killer of Idrath Treasureglowing The Ivory Flare, the dragon and Cusal Yorsavant the Lens of Pages, the titan, is buried, along with his story.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:14:22 pm by Musluk »
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 06:41:04 pm »

Thats ok.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 06:54:48 pm »

My most bad ass had to be a still unnamed Hammerer. This was by far my first true fortress, and it was pretty decent, large sunny courtyard, a tricky bridge, plenty of iron and flux for steel.

Well, she was sitting outside, smoking some rolled ratweed while watching my farmers till the outside farming plots. I like variety in my booze. A woodcutter is just walking inside to store a log. And suddenly "An Ambush, Curse them!" Three times in a row! They were right on my bridge, too close to pull the "Fuck you" lever in time. My only course of action was the scramble the military, lock the farm house, and order everyone inside. I figured some of them were doomed, the goblins had archers, and lots of them.

So here stood my Hammerer, her purple veiled head turning towards the foul host. Instead of turning tail and running, like any other yellow bellied noble would do, she pulled out her steel warhammer, and charge forward! Only a few steps into her charge, she got an arrow to the spine. But that did not stop her. As dwarf after dwarf piled out of the main stairway, she was bashing goblin after goblin, all by herself, wearing nothing but a silk robe and hood. Goblins flew left, right, up, down, over the bridge, into the wall. Several had their head turned into mush. By the time the first soldier arrived, the three ambushes had been reduced to a meager four goblins, who were quickly caught and cut down my my leather wearing axe dwarfs.

The Hammerer, crippled and never to heal, was taken to the infirmary. That would not do. It was a lonely room, filled with beds. I removed all but her bed, and then swapped her's out with a masterwork bed, decorated a dozen times in bones and shells, the most noticeable, her heroic stand on the bridge. "This is a picture of a dwarf and goblins in turtle shell bone. The dwarf is striking a menacing pose, the goblins are cowering." This was before I turned on the history to pictures >.<

And there she lay, crippled but alive. Knowing it was not enough, I began decorating her room in the bronze that she so loved, statues and coffers, chairs and tables, even a few supports made of bronze blocks. That room became my designated party room, and every time I looked in there, children would be gathered around her bed.

It warms my heart to think that during these parties, she lay there in bed, propped up, telling the children of her stories and tales, words of wisdom passed down to the next generation.

That fortress still lives on, but I have not played it in a while, the site not the best. But one day, I will tell you her name.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 12:07:05 am »

I found a cave river and decided to create an opening in the wall 1 z-level above the river since the critters like to crawl out and I was just gonna cage/kill them one by one. Well they started pouring out in quantities a lot larger than one so by the time my military showed up all of my cages were full and they just barely made it in time.

I should say he instead of they since the rest were drinking/sleeping. Just some lonesome elite swordsdwarf against a throng of cave monsters, great. He hacked them up well and good, scoring about 6 kills, but then he fell into that little opening I made to the river. The river was dammed and draining at the time with the water was at a steady 5/7ish level, so the current kept pushing him towards the chasm at the end of the river(the opening was right near it). He fought against this current while being surrounded by a couple snakemen. He killed them but then an alligator bit his sword hand and mangled it. The sword was dropped and swept into the chasm, but that didn't stop him. He wrestled and punched everything arout him, killing 3-4 alligators when my miner FINALLY arrived to dig some exit stairs for him. He swam against the current and punched out an ollmen(broke its head and knocked im out) before finally crawling out of the river. It took 3 years for his hand to heal and I gave him a brand new masterwork steel sword to spar with. He killed 3 recruits with it within a year.

Then my magmaproject flooded the fort and smeared my engravings so my legendary engraver/miner went nuts and one shotted him in the heart with her pickax(that fort ended in fun and is another story entirely).

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 05:23:29 am »

My most bad ass had to be a still unnamed Hammerer. This was by far my first true fortress, and it was pretty decent, large sunny courtyard, a tricky bridge, plenty of iron and flux for steel.

Well, she was sitting outside, smoking some rolled ratweed while watching my farmers till the outside farming plots. I like variety in my booze. A woodcutter is just walking inside to store a log. And suddenly "An Ambush, Curse them!" Three times in a row! They were right on my bridge, too close to pull the "Fuck you" lever in time. My only course of action was the scramble the military, lock the farm house, and order everyone inside. I figured some of them were doomed, the goblins had archers, and lots of them.

So here stood my Hammerer, her purple veiled head turning towards the foul host. Instead of turning tail and running, like any other yellow bellied noble would do, she pulled out her steel warhammer, and charge forward! Only a few steps into her charge, she got an arrow to the spine. But that did not stop her. As dwarf after dwarf piled out of the main stairway, she was bashing goblin after goblin, all by herself, wearing nothing but a silk robe and hood. Goblins flew left, right, up, down, over the bridge, into the wall. Several had their head turned into mush. By the time the first soldier arrived, the three ambushes had been reduced to a meager four goblins, who were quickly caught and cut down my my leather wearing axe dwarfs.

The Hammerer, crippled and never to heal, was taken to the infirmary. That would not do. It was a lonely room, filled with beds. I removed all but her bed, and then swapped her's out with a masterwork bed, decorated a dozen times in bones and shells, the most noticeable, her heroic stand on the bridge. "This is a picture of a dwarf and goblins in turtle shell bone. The dwarf is striking a menacing pose, the goblins are cowering." This was before I turned on the history to pictures >.<

And there she lay, crippled but alive. Knowing it was not enough, I began decorating her room in the bronze that she so loved, statues and coffers, chairs and tables, even a few supports made of bronze blocks. That room became my designated party room, and every time I looked in there, children would be gathered around her bed.

It warms my heart to think that during these parties, she lay there in bed, propped up, telling the children of her stories and tales, words of wisdom passed down to the next generation.

That fortress still lives on, but I have not played it in a while, the site not the best. But one day, I will tell you her name.
I am never ever confiscating my hammerer's masterwork hammer again.

Mostly for the reason that hammerers make a decent one-dwarf army.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 09:08:10 am »

My most badass dwarf must have been... The Clerk. He's my trader, one of the Original Seven who handles all the bookkeeping. During the second or third season of digging out my new fortress a thief snuck in right beside his chair [Out in the hallway, as rooms were being dug].

I activate him, he immediately grapples the damn thing, and tears off its head. Then goes back to book-keeping covered in kobold blood and ichor.

Edit: Oh yeah. I also remember from the same game I was working on an underground killing field [Screw The Sun]... The upper floor had to be removed and I figured the easiest way would be with channeling. I carved out a grid a lot like the suggested form of exploratory mining... Long mined hallways with 2 tile thick walls of stone, then channeled the stone out and dropped the entire grid onto the floor below...

... and I forgot to check if anyone was down there. My head chef was lounging in the courtyard, and the grid just crashed down all around him. It was amazing. No one was hurt in the fall but three dwarves were knocked out temporarily from the sheer concussive force that sent dust through my entire fort. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 11:09:21 am by Foxbyte »
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

dabbling builder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 10:13:35 am »

my best dwarf started as a mere peasant, immigrating from some far of land. when he came i still cared about immigrants and seeing the useless peasant i just set him to hunt in th  hopes that he would simply fall prey to a vicious groundhog or something. however, this was not his fate.

at one point there were 2 ambush announcements, first one i set all my dwarves indoors but with the second one i started looking through the map(fairly small and flat so no problem there) and i see this poor peasant surrounded by roughly 10 goblins and a marksdwarf, i stick around to see the show when i notice he is blinking. so now i actually check his skills and evidently he is a legendary wrestler from all the groundhogs and goats he has strangled. so i activate him and he proceeds to murder all the goblins, one by one while i just sit there, earning himself a title and becoming a champion

on a side note i had a child who was idling for several years, leading to him becoming legendary in all the conversation skills. the best part, one year he becomes possessed and makes a legendary bow, as a child.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2009, 10:50:49 pm »

Spoilerd to keep them seperate and to shorten the post to those just skimming through.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4