Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your most badass dwarf ever  (Read 4988 times)

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your most badass dwarf ever
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:55:14 am »

Alright, I'm curious. Probably a lot of sameyness coming my way, but what was the most badass dwarf you ever had in your fortress?

For me, it's kind of a low point. It was a civilian who got attacked by zombie hoary marmots because he fell asleep out doors (one of the original seven before I made beds). He spent the entire time his comrades were sleeping wrassling with a zombified marmot. He made legendary wrestling inside of a season, so I gave him a battle axe and sent him on patrol around the corner of the map where zombies were spawning. He spent all of his time on a circuit causing zombies to erupt into putrid mist. Of course, eventually he got hit with a goblin ambush and his crappy bone/shell armor was in no way up to the task, so they took him out.

Then there was the hammerdwarf who hit a goblin so hard, he flew completely over a murky pool...

How about you?

By the way, is it me or do people sparring with blunt weapons cause FAR fewer major injuries? I had a squad of hammerdwarves go all the way to champion status sparring each other, but when the axedwarves tried it, about halfway there two of the three had spinal injuries.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Your most badass dwarf ever
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »

For me, I'll always remember a dwarf I'd named Sunhammer. I was doing some mod testing in an evil swamp, and was under constant attack by harpies, werewolves, and ogres. Rather dangerous place to be a dwarf, to say the least.

Anyway, Sunhammer ended up the true hero in that fort. He was more agile than any other warrior I had, and was somehow ALWAYS ready when enemies showed up. Harpies harassing a woodcutter? He was there the bash them from the sky. Ogres making a beeline for the main gate? He'd crushed their skulls before most of the soldiers could even get out the door. I eventually gave him the title of Nightbane for the sheer number of evil creatures he'd slain. I really wish the kill tracking was in place at that time, I'd have loved to see his kill sheet.

He eventually died in combat to a xelic spearman during a siege. I was so depressed by such a lame death for him that I abandoned the fort. It'd long since tested the new changes for the mod anyway, and I'd kept it around because it was so fun to see him smash things.

I've had other dwarves take the name Sunhammer since than, but none have ever come close to his level of awesomeness. There can be only one, I guess.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:53:09 pm »

I have a couple from my last fort.

The first is 'Blinky', as I named her. She was a legendary woodcrafter, and got caught in a goblin ambush, and shot. After struggling inside, she passed out, and was set in a bed. Lost eye, mangled lung, moderate brain damage, broken head.
Eventually, she woke up, having healed the fractured skull. She still flashed injury and bleeding every few steps, so I named her 'Blinky'. On account of having one eye.
So, she started doing more and more useful things, and picked up skills like mad. Brewery, carpentry, masonry, cooking, and other essential dwarfy skills.
All this was AFTER creating an artifact, as well.

The second is my mayor. He ended up perfectly agile after only a few seasons, thanks to doing clerking like crazy to get everything filed properly. He ended up holding the place together by doing the brokering (and ending up a legendary appraiser), the milling, health care (thus stopping injured guards and soldiers setting off a bezerk spiral), and essential hauling tasks, due to being ultra-mighty into the bargain. He had so many friends and aquantances that he was completely crucial to mental stability.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:57:37 pm »

I once had a mediocer ranger take on a Skelatal Giant Eagle.. Ill say that agin SKELATAL giant eagle.

It all started wiht an alamring "Urist: Ranger cancels hunt, interuppted by Skelatal Giant Eagle"

I wrote him off immediatly and zoomed to him to watch the gore.. What I saw instead was a hail of bolts coming from him up into the sky... To my shock bones started to rain down as it seemed he was doing damage.. The Eagle came down to his level and the two engaged in horroble combat.. Hammering away with his now spent Crossbow, he lopped of its bones one by one... In the end he had a puntured lung, a mangled arm and lost a hand to the beast, BUT LIVED.. He still has the punctured lung to this day and I have since retired him as a great warrior.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 01:10:31 pm »

Not incredibly dramatic, but:

A goblin ambush showed up, led by an elf. The goblins went after a woodcutter, but the elf began chasing a miner. It chased the miner into my exploratory mine, and they spent quite awhile playing virtual Pac-Man in the tunnel grid. Finally, the elf cornered the exhausted miner and engaged. The miner then proceeded to ANNIHILATE the elf. Just wrecked the bastard in about half a second, and didn't even take a scratch. What a horrible life story for that elf - too shitty of a person to even hang out with other elves, reduced to trying to lead some stumpy brain-dead goblins in a cowardly ambush, completely failing to stay with his goblin squad, and then dying in effortless battle to a civilian.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 01:37:43 pm »

The first time I pierced the HFS I had a row of marksdwarfs behind fortifications with the rest of the army in front.  Then pierced it and ALL the military ran off to go sleep/drink.  All except one marksdwarf and a cat.  The cat got pasted which reveiled a target.  Marksdwarf tagged it and it ran away.  Then another came and got shot back.  Then another which charged and he bashed it's head in with his crossbow and killed it.  After that, not so good, but he held down the fort until the rest of the guys got done screwing around and came to fight.  Probably saved a lot of civilians.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 01:39:19 pm »

Not incredibly dramatic, but:

A goblin ambush showed up, led by an elf. The goblins went after a woodcutter, but the elf began chasing a miner. It chased the miner into my exploratory mine, and they spent quite awhile playing virtual Pac-Man in the tunnel grid. Finally, the elf cornered the exhausted miner and engaged. The miner then proceeded to ANNIHILATE the elf. Just wrecked the bastard in about half a second, and didn't even take a scratch. What a horrible life story for that elf - too shitty of a person to even hang out with other elves, reduced to trying to lead some stumpy brain-dead goblins in a cowardly ambush, completely failing to stay with his goblin squad, and then dying in effortless battle to a civilian.
You HAVE to name the guy Pac. :P
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then we will fight in the shade!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:32:39 pm »

Well, this isn't particulaly different from a lot of other stories out there, but in one of my earliest forts the commander of my military was an axedwarf who was equipped with a steel battle axe and steel plate.  Not masterwork anything (nowadays I usually have masterwork everything, because I know how to produce legendary armorsmiths and weaponsmiths easily, but I didn't know that then), just regular steel, and although I don't remember his exact skills, he was still considered an axedwarf, not a hero or champion.  He led a squad of four dwarves.  So I have him outside the fort guarding the trade depot, and I see "An ambush!  Curse them!" and find that he is surrounded by six goblins.  Unfortunately, the other three dwarves in his squad are off sleeping or drinking.  Just as he kills the first goblin, I get two more ambush messages, and he ends up surrounded by thirteen goblins.  To make matters worse, he immediately caught a crossbow bolt which broke his left shoulder, so he dropped his axe and went into a martial trance.  Not knowing how badass dwarven soldiers can be, I assumed that he was dead, so I moved my viewpoint to focus on the other soldiers who were on their way to the battle.  Once they got there, though, there was nothing for them left to fight, just a paste of goblin parts and blood splatter smeared all over the trade depot, and one heavily wounded but still alive axedwarf.

So, yeah, this guy killed thirteen goblins with his bare hands, while suffering from a broken shoulder.  To my shame, I don't remember the name of this brave dwarf.

In my current fort, I took a military dwarf with me upon embarking, because I'm building in a Haunted Badlands.  This means that I have a steady stream of zombie camels, zombie muskoxen, ogres, nightwings, and other fun things to play with.  My military dwarf got the nickname "Ares" after he intercepted a nightwing and broke it apart with his bare hands.  He died in the second year of my fort while holding the bridge across my moat against a goblin ambush, but he protected my civilians long enough for them to get a moat and wall built.  I have soldiers now with 200 named kills in their record, but none of them are singlehandedly responsible for the continued existence of my fort like Ares is.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:42:29 pm »

There is a topic like this in every two weeks.  ;D
Ah well...my most badass dwarf [I guess we are talking about the vanilla version..] is definitely my heroic spearsdwarf. Some dragon has invaded the fortress, it killed a few cats and wardogs plus 2 dwarves also. That was the time, when I ordered my military to go outside.
Some mediocre spearsdwarf was the first who reached the dragon. He was soloing the mighty beast. After a short period, the dragon was killed, and the spearsdwarf received no injuries at all. [I guess the little bastard had a special "mortal strike" ability or something  ;D] It was an epic moment.  8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:54:05 pm by Tormy »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:23:03 pm »

By the way, is it me or do people sparring with blunt weapons cause FAR fewer major injuries? I had a squad of hammerdwarves go all the way to champion status sparring each other, but when the axedwarves tried it, about halfway there two of the three had spinal injuries.

They cause just as many injuries, but blunt weapons rarely damage internal organs, whereas slashing or piercing weapons can easily skewer all the internal organs in one hit. Blunt weapon injuries are just far more survivable. Rather than lopping off limbs, its just a broken leg which will heal.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:34:19 pm »

I gave every single creature the [SEVERONBREAK] tag once, and sent a single spearman out in bad quality iron chainmail to solo an orc siege of about 6 wrestlers and 20 stabbers. The lucky little bastard killed every last one of them without a scratch on him.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 05:54:01 pm »

My most badass military dwarves have all been from my current fortress, Ironstakes (from the original inhabitants, the Boots of Locking, rather than the current inhabitents who reclaimed it after the originals unleashed HFS).

1) The first was, I think, a high-level (but not elite) marksdwarf, who had a habit of carrying around about 4 bolts (at most), prefering to smack his enemies halfway across the screen with his crossbow.

One time, I got ambushed by multiple elven raiding parties (a siege in all but name), and had to shut the gates to my fortress with several dwarves still outside (I've lost too many fortresses in the past as a result of trying to get all my dwarves back inside).

This marksdwarf was one of the ones trapped outside, where he got jumped on - and proceeded to slaughter - at least one, possibly two ambush parties, got shot by an elite bowman, survived, attacked the bowman, wounding him and scaring him off, and caused several of the other ambush parties to rout.

Eventually, he became too tired and injured to fight any more, and there was still an group of elven bowmen sitting outside my gates (my remaining military was too weak to take them on).  So in order to rescue him, I decided to dismantle part of the wall at the rear of my fortress, near the magma pipe, so he could get in the back entrance (which was heavily trapped and guarded to keep imps out).

He eventually crawled his way round to the back of the fortress (with the elves oblivious to the new way in), but when he was almost home, a fire imp popped up, killed one of my haulers, and then set my heroic marksdwarf on fire.  Who then killed the imp, and - still billowing smoke and flames - crawled / was carried back to into the fort. 

By the time he inevitably died, he had litterally four complete pages worth of injuries.

2) Another soldier from the same fortress subsequently achieved even greater badassery.  Initially trained as a champion wrestler, I then equiped him with an obsidion sword and a full suit of iron plate.  He made quite a few kills against goblin and kobold thieves, but his heroic career proper didn't start until (as with the previous dwarf) he got trapped outside during an ambush by multiple elven raiding parties.

As before, my initial thoughts  were "Oh, crap.  Another elite soldier wasted".  That was until he single handedly butchered two squads of elves, and, despite apparently being exhausted, chased the remaining party all the way to the edge of the map.

I made him leader of a squad of four elite soldiers (one of whome became his lover, and was the third of my "ultimate badass" dwarves, described below.  This squad became iron fist of my fortress, and was the main reason why the main theme of my engravings was elves being struck down / laughed at by dwarves.

After several very successful years, my miners one day delved too deep, and unleashed a horde of tentacle demons.  About 10 civilian dwarves (including my mayor, and several legendary craftdwarves) were killed before I could send help, but my ultimate badass hero - now wielding a fire imp bone artifact sword (decorated with hanging rings of elf bone and menacing with spikes of elf bone) rushed into the fray, killing multiple demons (his kill list only counted 2, but most of the dead demons were really his handywork, with others just getting in the final blow).

Alas, his tremendous feats of arms were not quite sufficent, and he was too badly wounded to prevent the sole surviving demon from reaching the main factories and dormatories of my fortress, and killing off all the still-mobile dwarves (as well as many of the wounded).

After all his heroics, he met and ignominious end, dying of thirst in the depths of Ironstakes, as there was no-one left alive to bring him water.

3) My third ultimate badass was the lover of the previous dwarf.  Originally trained as an elite wrestler, I then armed were with a battleaxe.  Her first great feat of arms was almost single-handedly killing a titan.  (Although thsi wasn't that great a feat, as the titan himself was rather pathetic.  He had caught a hunter, and although the hunter fell unconcious pretty quickly, the titan took several minutes to finish strangling him to death, and by the time I had decidied it would be worth sending a rescue party (only one of which turned up), he had exhausted himself.

Her greatest acts of heroism were during the demon invasion, where she successfully tanked five tentacle demons simultaneously.

Alas, she too recieved debilitating injuries, and while she eventually managed to crawl into the hospital, there was no one left to tend her, and she too eventually died  of thirst.

4) A non-combat example, from a different fortress.  One dwarf, a leather worker, got shot/stabbed during a goblin ambush, losing a lung in the process.  He then spent several months/years in bed, completely failing to recover.  Then one day he got a strange mood, crawled out of bed, and spent the next month or months crawling around the fortress (or, more often than not, passing out), collecting items for his artifact, and eventually succeded in making it (a rather boring rhesus-macquac leather amulet).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 09:19:44 pm »

Likot Claspechoes, the warrior. With the legendary artifact Gidur Vush in his good left hand, he once faced down an entire ambush of three squads of mounted Elves on his own. Bowelves. Their shots did no more than bruising, bouncing off of his skin (or armor) with nary a worry, as he systematically slaughtered first their mounts, and then cut them down like the trees they so revere. It's fun having a super-badass like him around. He's usually found standing in the middle of the road leading to the fortress, playing solitaire, and casually slaughtering anything which tries to enter the town.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:03 pm »

Not exactly a badass dwarf, but I did have a battle with some rather badass bugbears while testing my mod. I was using the largest map size possible, and I got the message that my fort was under siege, I looked and saw about 8 bugbears hanging around the edge of the map. Since they weren't moving towards me, and were so far away, I thought I had enough time to prepare for the battle, so I started dedicating every action in my fort to the production of weapons, even postponing construction of sleeping quarters. Every once in a while, i would check on the bugbears, who seemed to be taking their time getting to me, as the area I had embarked upon was inhabited with undead horses and enfields. Because they would engage any beast they saw, they got sidetracked often, and their zig-zag path to my fortress ended up taking about a year. When they finally got there, they cut through the kobold caravan guards with ease, and then met my military, consisting of a full half of my fortress population, outfitted in the finest aluminum bronze (better than iron) weapons and armor.....and then proceeded to pound them into the ground like tent stakes in about two minutes flat. I had a whole year to prepare for battle, and they were fighting zombies for a year (with only one casualty), and they still knocked my elite guard into cliff faces like they were baseballs. Badass indeed.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 10:08:44 pm »

Just had Nish Idekmebzuth "Brainoar" was just a regular Urist Doe Planter, distinguish herself.
She was out and about near the end of my first big ambush (about a dozen goblins or so), when a child snatcher popped up near her.
I drafted her, and she just started wrestling the goblin, bashing up his upper torso, head, and leg, and getting stabbed in the leg herself.  They're fighting and rolling around for about half a dozen spaces, when one of the war dogs runs up and bites the gobbo's leg clean off, so hard that it flew another half-dozen spaces and off a cliff.

I just liked...I think it was the struggling.  They surprise each other, and then they're rolling on the ground, desperately trying to kill each other.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4