Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hydra Enhancement: 7 heads + 7 brains = win?  (Read 2595 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hydra Enhancement: 7 heads + 7 brains = win?
« on: March 17, 2009, 09:14:29 pm »

I've had little luck finding any megabeasts, so on a project to buff em up, in worldgen and whatnot, so I read on the wiki that Hydras die with one 1 head cut off... even with 7 heads.  My solution to that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I read about the 50 Brain megabeast, but, havn't found anything relevant to the adding of brains.  Or any creature with more then 1 brain.  Probably didn't look hard enough, search ain't bringing up much.

Anyone know if this will work, so when fighting it, you'd actually have to take out all 7 heads to kill it instead of 1 head? (not counting other ways to kill it...)

Here is my modded Hydra with a few personal additions to make it more survivable and personal preferences:

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Hydra Enhancement: 7 heads + 7 brains = win?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:30:19 pm »

[SIZE:200]

That could be a problem.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:52:18 pm »

Hmmm,

Anyway on topic, I don't think the brain thing will make any difference seeing as I think the brain token will apply to all heads of the creature automatically just like the 2EYES, 2EARS and the NOSE tags do.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:57:10 pm »

Could always tone that down after worldgen...

EDIT: Really?  Never faced it... so yea...   a creature could severe all 14 eyes altogether?  Does it show up on its stats thing?

Oh and nice and fast picture... O.o
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:32:28 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:44:33 pm »

I thought you could specify to which head a brain was attached, so as to make it realistic...that is what my friend, i2amroy did
roy also told me that when one head is cut off, while the creature may not die instantly, it will become terminally paralyzed, patheticaly getting up and then collapsing, and then they will bleed to death...
so, if your hydra had nopain, nobleed, and size 200, armok help us...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 01:44:05 am »

Well...  this is default, so I figured the brain thing would work...

As you can see, I assigned each brain to a head, like how each head is assigned to a neck here...

I'll have to take the nopain and nobleed into consideration... thanks...

EDIT: Ok, so I worked on this hydra a bit...  hopefully, it works.  With my limited understanding of Creature stuffs... but, it seems straightforward...

A truly fearsome creature... ?  I'll change the [SIZE:200] down to [SIZE:40] after world generation....  and [liTTERSIZE:3:5] down to [liTTERSIZE:1:2]

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:38:58 am by Zangi »

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 06:09:26 am »

I thought the problem was that instant death was linked to high damage to vital organs (such as brains), and the process did not check to see if there were any more around. So, by adding extra brains, aren't you just increasing the problem? As soon as any one brain is destroyed the check will pass and the creature will die.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:35:11 pm »

I'm new at this, so no clue.... it dies either way, with one head taken off, doesn't it?  Doesn't hurt then?

No errors at worldgen though...

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:40:17 pm »

I think the best way to avoid the brain getting hit is to add in a bunch of random body parts that don't really do anything.

It's been a long time since I messed with the body files (I found it annoying), but there should be a way to add a bunch of parts that 'take up' places in the hit calculations, reducing the chance of the head getting picked, but don't cause the creature much damage if they do get hit.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 12:24:45 am »

I think the best way to avoid the brain getting hit is to add in a bunch of random body parts that don't really do anything.

It's been a long time since I messed with the body files (I found it annoying), but there should be a way to add a bunch of parts that 'take up' places in the hit calculations, reducing the chance of the head getting picked, but don't cause the creature much damage if they do get hit.

I did this for dragons.  Was thinking about trying it for other things, but decided it would be a waste until the new RAWS system for bodies was released.  Adding miscellaneous body-parts does definitely increase survivability.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25636.msg302017#msg302017

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:46:50 am »

Interesting, thanks... I'll consider it, after I'm done with play session, finally started new world...

The Megabeasts survived... but... I made em x100 original size.   x10 wasn't cutting it, they died 200-400 years in worldgen.  I wanted a world with history to explore and all that fancy stuff...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 05:10:30 am »

I thought the problem was that instant death was linked to high damage to vital organs (such as brains), and the process did not check to see if there were any more around. So, by adding extra brains, aren't you just increasing the problem? As soon as any one brain is destroyed the check will pass and the creature will die.

Not true. Without the [NOBLEED] tag a creature will die almost instantly after losing a brain, but testing has shown that just losing a brain will not kill a creature. Losing a bodypart with the [HEAD] tag will kill a creature instantly, though. What I did for my Hydras was I created a HYDRA_HEART that had the [THOUGHT] tag and removed the [THOUGHT] tag from the brains. I also removed the [HEAD] tag from the Hydra's heads, stopping the game from giving out instakill shots whenever one of the heads is destroyed. If you do Both of these things, Hydras will be able to lose one head and can keep on coming just the same as if they had lost any other limb. The only drawback is that it is technically possible for a hydra to lose all of its heads and keep coming towards you, though you could think of it as just being a really, really tough beast.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 08:10:37 pm »

This is pretty interesting. I think I might try this with most of the megabeasts in my game.

suicidal_dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »

You could create a hydra head, that wasn't tagged as a head. Then have one real head.
Scamps has adopted ToadyOne!
ToadyOne cancels work: Play with cat

FoboslC

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 05:30:54 pm »

You could create a hydra head, that wasn't tagged as a head. Then have one real head.
Or You may...
Wait, what?
Pages: [1] 2