Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hypocrite Elves  (Read 2631 times)

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hypocrite Elves
« on: February 14, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

Some thing I noticed about elves really bugs me. The fact that they bring logs and cloth bins to trade, but yet if you trade them a wood craft they flip shits. What the hell is this?
ey

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypocrite Elves
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Razzums:
<STRONG>Some thing I noticed about elves really bugs me. The fact that they bring logs and cloth bins to trade, but yet if you trade them a wood craft they flip shits. What the hell is this?</STRONG>

Their logs are natural, and weren't ripped off a tree you brutally cut down, they where picked up lovingly from the ground after a tree already fell.

I guess.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

I believe Elves are also waiting for magic for their ways. That doesn't make them creatures I don't hit with catapults, though.

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>

Their logs are natural, and weren't ripped off a tree you brutally cut down, they where picked up lovingly from the ground after a tree already fell.

I guess.</STRONG>

Weird thing is I think the wood craft was made from one of the logs they traded to me last time they came.

ey

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Razzums:
<STRONG>

Weird thing is I think the wood craft was made from one of the logs they traded to me last time they came.</STRONG>

Yeah, but you BRUTALLY cut into that wood log.  There was sawdust EVERYWHERE, the elves where HORRIFIED.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Razzums

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>

Yeah, but you BRUTALLY cut into that wood log.  There was sawdust EVERYWHERE, the elves where HORRIFIED.</STRONG>

How did the elves carve out a bin? AND WHY DO ELVES USE MULES TO DO THEIR BIDDING!

ey

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:24:00 pm »

The elves only cut down trees that are ready to move on, and the crafts they make out of these trees are done lovingly and with respect. Those done by dwarves are a mockery of the trees.

The above is a paraphrase of justification I have heard elsewhere. Of course, this doesn't explain why elves get offended by wooden products you buy off them and offer directly back. "But I just bought that from you. I didn't even touch it!"

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

They could be doing the Night Elf thing, gently extracting the essence of the trees.  And I'm sure they have a mutually beneficial arrangement with the mules.
Shoes...

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Meybe theres a more consistent explanation: Elves in the DF world are arrogant, hypocritical wankers. They see dwarves as lesser beings and love to cause them problems for the sheer fun of it. They are also totally unreasonable and emotionally unstable, much like a pre-menstrual woman but all of the time. This is one of the things I love about this game. In every other games elves are portrayed as these supreme beings that are perfect and totally at one with their environment. In DF they are overly pious nature hippies that love to preach to everyone about how great they are and how evil everyone else is. In both cases they are analogues of the same group of people in the real world, but one is from a complimentary perspective, and one from a cynical perspective.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:41:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

Heh, I've been playing an elven fort. It's interesting to note that since elves don't have access to any kind of metal from the beginning they can only cut down trees to use as building materials. I had to mod in [MINOR_METAL] so they could dig or wait until a human or dwarven caravan showed up.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken:
<STRONG>They are also totally unreasonable and emotionally unstable, much like a pre-menstrual woman but all of the time. </STRONG>

Dwarves are also like this interestingly enough.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress = Sim Asylum.  That is all.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 08:10:00 am »

Maybe it's sung wood, where a smaller tree will be left after the desired item is sung out of the tree, or even a sapling if it's a large enough item(logs, bins).
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>Dwarf Fortress = Sim Asylum.  That is all.</STRONG>

So, The Sims, then.

Pages: [1] 2