Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarftego, a DF inspired board-game  (Read 7091 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarftego, a DF inspired board-game
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2009, 12:11:24 am »

Sorry. Looking at it again it looks confrontational, I didn't mean to be confrontational, I should have just said bump...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2009, 12:32:57 am »

No worries!  ;D

I didn't find it confrontational, anyway...
For they would be your masters.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2009, 05:45:49 pm »

I have a good number of a set of cards worked out... So far, the game is played similarly to Magic.

You have resource pile, in which you have food, wood, metal, and stone.  You also have fortress strength.  When you run out of fortress strength you lose.  You start with 10 fortress strength points and certain cards can increase that, while being attacked and allowing attacks through you defenses lowers it.  In your resource pile you start with 10 food, and 5 of wood, metal, and stone and unlike in M:TG where your resource pile is your mana pool, having resources left over doesn't hurt you as your supplies build up and stay with you throughout the game unless you use them to pay a resource cost for a creature or event card.  There are also biome cards, which are not like M:TG's land cards, and instead they allow you to play certain creatures. For example, if you wanted to play a [Carp] you would need to have a river biome in play.  Also there are artifacts which do operate in a very similar style to M:TG's artifacts, being on the field, but not being creatures, and having certain abilities like creatures.

So, that's the basic concept...  I've got a little example card here:
Code: [Select]
/ [Dwarven Planter] <--Name
(f) <-- Resource Cost
{Dwarf} <--Typing
(X) : Target player draws a card. <--Effect
1/1 \ <--Strength/Toughness
Resource costs are listed as (f) for food, (m) for metal, (w) for wood, (s) for stone.  Sometimes you'll see (w/s): that means you can pay that cost by paying either wood or stone.  Often there will be a number, like x2, after a cost: that is how many of that you must pay.  When you must pay a mixed cost like (w/s) and pay multiples, you can only pay one or the other, not both.  When you pay a resource cost, those resources are removed from your resource pile.  In the instance of creature effects you may sometimes see other costs, like (X).  (X) is the tap symbol, meaning that creature uses it's action for the turn to use that effect.  If a creature's effect has some other cost, but does not include a (X) symbol, that effect may be used repeatedly, as long as you can pay the resource cost.

When you attack with a creature, they use their action for the turn.  Like in M:TG, you only declare attacks against an entity, while the defending entity chooses who defends. (More probably to come)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:06:37 pm by Taritus »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2009, 02:53:37 am »

Sounds like it could be fun, do you want card ideas? If so I suggest posting the names of cards you have so you don't have 20 people suggesting 'carp infestation' and 'catsplosion' when you already have them...

To avoid flooding the Dwarftego thread with Dwarf: The Hammering Magmaing Carpening or whatever you want to call it it might be best to link to a thread of your own...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:55:53 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]