Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dwarftego, a DF inspired board-game  (Read 7093 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarftego, a DF inspired board-game
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2009, 08:14:40 pm »

Okay, just so everyone knows, I am working on a whole game based around the silly event cards and stuff.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 08:27:58 pm »

Uh...thats kinda funny.

I just posted something about that. We could work together, unless we are doing something different.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 09:54:50 pm »

Mine's more based around Magic: The Gathering style of play.  There will be creatures, events, and land cards that produce resources.  What're you planning?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:01 am »

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 06:27:32 pm »

Is there going to be a 'mountain' of upside-down 'earth' cards your miners need to dig into?
or various tunnels and buildings/constructions?
I think all abilities would need to be on dwarf or pet units, with lands/sites being reqs or whatnot for .
Is there going to be two sides? dwarf vs goblin (or elf, human).
or dwarf v dwarf with gobbos just being nasty events.
or a freestyle mixture of races but with rules making mixing difficult... unless: Lasher: tap to bash dissenters into obedience.
or are players going to compete for mayor in the same fortress?

EVENT: mandate [drawrockcard] furniture from target player. place 3 markers on event, each turn remove a counter, when counters run out, remove opponents unit from play if you have a hammerer working for you. remove event if opponent produces mandated item. XD
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rozen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2009, 05:44:09 pm »

So I'm thinking about making a boardgame that's inspired, in part, by DF and Stratego.

I woke up yesterday with the same thought, except the game would be closer to Carcassonne or Settlers of Catan. Carcassonne would give the ability to structure a fortress (roads = tunnels) and workshops & other locations (towns = workshops) and adding something similar to Settles of Catan would give resource gathering (villages/cities = dwarves).

I feel like the difficulty there, though, is that Dwarf Fortress is not a competitive game, or rather, it is PvE strictly. Two fortresses against each other would not make much sense and having one player play Goblins or Orcs would be kind of dull unless the whole game is centered around combat (or you could give Goblins or Orcs fortresses to work on as well). So I feel like it would need to be cooperative. I've not had much experience in cooperative board games, so I'm at a loss here as to what kind of gameplay mechanic could be used.

Also, in order to retain the artistry of Dwarf Fortress you would have to include story-telling in some manner, so one would have a similar experience to community games like Boatmurdered. Then you would really capture the DF experience ;) Maybe, like previous posters suggested, cards with events that often occur in DF, like cat-splosions and Noble mandates, and/or every four turns the value of your fortress is evaluated and you get an immigration wave based on that. And every other four turns you get a chance for a siege, whose size is also determined by your fortress wealth.

But I think the biggest bonus to developing a DF board game is that it then could be turned into, say, a browser based game or iPhone/mobile game. Then I could play it on the road.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 06:53:45 pm »

Have the players compete for Mayor of same fortress?
Such as in Carcassonne all players contribute in developing the Fortress, but they compete for glory, money or power.
plus many nasty events to hinder/kill opponent dwarves.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 09:23:20 pm »

I like the idea of a co-operative boardgame, I seem to recall I may have seen one where the players try to stop Lovecraftian cosmic horrors from 'insert unfathomable act of unfathomable desire to be avoided here', I think it might have been called arkham horror or something similar, though I am not confident of that...

I think that for a multiplayer game you really want, if not an end, then a convenient place to take a break. I could see trouble brewing from a bunch of people disagreeing over when to stop...

You 'could' play competing fortresses, all trying to impress the mountainhome. Maybe at the end of the game the winner has the most points and attracts the king. The players have various cards that they can play against each other, that have a good or bad effect with an alternating effect afterwards. So that you could have a dragon attack someone, it may eat a few dwarves, but it will leave some expensive materials, or the catsplosion card would cause some happy thoughts and provide more livestock resources, but steadily drain your efficiency. There could also be defensive cards that could defend people against things they were not otherwise prepared for, maybe they can play as many of these as they want at a time, but the cards go on a stack and they can't play any more such cards until the stack is empty...

Or you could have a game where everyone played a community within a fort. Dwarves are represented by cards, people may be able to trade cards under some conditions. Everyone tries to keep the fortress alive, it could be competitive, competing for points, or you could give everyone heir own role, possibly these roles could be transferred... But if the defender gets all the minitary dwarves then HFS would slaughter the miners. If there are no guards then thieves are more likely to kill people. I tend to divide my fort into stone/glass/metal/wood products, plant/animal products, living quarters/nobles/dining room, mines/hunting/gathering, and entrance/defence... You could weight it slightly in favour of the fortress dying, so that everyone is trying to do their job but their aren't quite enough resources to go around. But I would think it best to make it possible to win by exhausting the supply of 'something bad happens' cards...

Or you could each play one dwarf in a generic fortress, each time you die you get a new dwarf, the objective is to reach the end of the fort with the most achievements and the fewest deaths...

But, might this be best discussed in it's own thread?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:49 am »

How about Dwarfopoly?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 02:20:41 am »

I like the idea of a co-operative boardgame, I seem to recall I may have seen one where the players try to stop Lovecraftian cosmic horrors from 'insert unfathomable act of unfathomable desire to be avoided here', I think it might have been called arkham horror or something similar, though I am not confident of that...

Indeed, the game is called Arkham Horror.  Other purely or mostly co-op games include Battlestar Galactica, Lord of the Rings, Pandemic, and Shadows over Camelot.
The mechanics of these games aren't really similar to DF, so you couldn't really adapt one of them and have it make any sense ("sense" being a relative term in DF's case  ;D ). Still, coming up with some sort of cooperative system would work best- I could see a group of players working together to create a complex device for killing that latest noble..  :D

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:38 am »

This is giving me ideas for a DF-based card game. Hmm...
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 11:08:35 am »

Event card brainstorming!

For the magic-ish game

GIANT CAVE SPIDER,
Underground monster [PET_EXOTIC]
If you have a cage trap in game, they gain (Something big) wealth points/mana/whatever.
If you also have a dungeon master, you gain a (STRONG) tame giant cave spider creature.
If you don't have a cage trap, a number of creatures/structures you control are removed from play with a total defence strength of (Something big)

Warning, HFS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS
Event, goblin siege
A random number between 10 and 60 is compared to your defense value, if it is lower that your defense, you gain half the random number in goblin junk, if it is higher than your defense score, you lose a number of creature under your control equal in strenth to the random number minus your defence value.

CAGE TRAP
Construction
50% chance to capture target attacking creature, you may now add that card to your hand unless it has [PET_EXOTIC] or [SENTIENT].

DUNGEON MASTER
creature, Noble, metalworker. [SENTIENT]
Allows the training of captured creatures with [PET_EXOTIC],
Metalworker: Can give target sentient creature a +(Something) attack or defense token.
Noble: May make mandates.

How about stuff like this?

Because of the complexity of DF, and of the amount of awesome lost if we don't include some stuff, I propose there are two stacks of cards to draw from, one communal  stack for things that happen, and overground resources found, over time (Events, forests, etc] whihc each player draws one card from per turn. And one Underground 'library' stack each each player has a private, pre assembled and then shuffled one of. Each turn a player would draw a number of cards from this equal to their amount of miners. I'm not sure how to increase that number, but this is just a suggestion.

but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 01:56:02 pm »

I guess the most logical way (or fun?) would be for both players to have a "fort"

There would have to be certain phases, in witch there are a) Randorm Events b) Player controled Events as well as a Build/combat phase.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2009, 09:00:51 pm »

Alas, how many times I have seen one started but never finished. Make me proud!
Read the First Post!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2009, 09:53:34 pm »

Alas, how many times I have seen one started but never finished. Make me proud!

I've actually been working on this quite a bit, lately, but haven't found the time to post about it (the ideas--while excellent and appreciated!--were also distracting me, for some weird unknown reason...might have something to do with me being sick, tired, and annoyed at being sick/tired.).

I'll try to keep posting, but maybe not for a little while yet, until things get more concrete, but rest assured, progress is progressing.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:56:57 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4