Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dragonslayers Inn(LSD)  (Read 4795 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Dragonslayers Inn(LSD)
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:37:34 am »

Location Scenario Distribution - LSD for short, is an idea that popped up in the General DF Forum that might be just what we Dwarf Fortress players need in the time between the next update. It's somewhat of a forum game but unlike the ones so far. Its about playing pre- made embark scenarios created by other users. It adds uncertainty to DF even to experienced players. You don't know what mods are being used or what the exact embark specifications where. The goal here is to get people interested and create a database of fun scenarios. I've posted mine and currently started play testing. I guess I'll post a short diary that'll give you an idea of what the map is about. You can all play along by downloading the map. Feel free to post your comments and playthroughs here.

Scenario Name: Dragonslayers Inn(Human Town)

Difficulty: I don't know. Might be Insanely hard. Haven't died for almost a year now so probably not that bad.

Potential hilarity: Very high

Scenario creator: Toady Two

Map dimensions: 5x4(sorry for this big but I had to fit the cave in with enough room to give the smallest chance of survival.)

Story:
The King of The Decent Kingdom has issued a contest to all the brave adventurers in the land. Most likely in order to get the sorry lot of them to do something useful for a change. The lad to slay the dragon One Swelterdgem the Luxuries of Bejeweling,  shall be granted the grace of the Kings lovely Princess daughter. The one eyed beast reign of terror has claimed many lives. Many young adventurers with little or no experience have taken up the call and resultantly died painfully. These romanticist are utterly disorganized they can barely find their way to the dragons lair without ending up as Orc food and thus... are an excellent source of profit.

You are a copious businessman who sees nothing more fit than to exploit this sudden surge of stupid yet unhealthily rich people that are  persistent in their lemming rush to slay the dragon. You have assembled a group of associates and have embarked on what will most likely be your most profitable establishment yet. A Tavern for Dragonslayers perhaps later even a small town. To which adventurers can come, sleep, drink, pay and wander off to their deaths. What could possibly go wrong. Your wagon halts just a few miles off from the Dragons lair, next to a cliff side and a forest. Strike the ea-... I mean trees!

Rules:
Have fun with the dragon. Make a town in which adventurers who have come to slay the dragon can eat their final meal. Build a wooden walled town with an Inn and Tavern and nice houses for your residents. Every time an migrant wave comes all the single males that come with it have come to slay the dragon. It might say that they're Soapmakers but they're acutally adventurers. Change their profession name appropriately. All the remaining immigrants can stay and be useful. Adventurers must be drafted, armed with at least a sword and a suit of armor and sent to fight the dragon in small groups. Make the bounty pile up around the beast. Don't train the adventurers or give them crossbows, you wouldn't want to hurt the dragon would you? The game ends when either the dragon is slain or the businessman dies. See how must wealth you can accumulate up until then. If you get the dragon to burn down your village and then build a new one somewhere else out of its reach with the survivors or go into adventure mode and kick its ass you gain infinite profit.

Embarkment difficulties:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Embark details:

Starting seven info:

Mean things:

GET starting save file: http://rapidshare.com/files/210053020/Heroes_Inn.rar.html

OR: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=902

(I was waiting for the DFFD registration email thats why the rapidshare was up first)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:49:16 pm by Toady Two »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonslayers Inn(LSD and possibly Community Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:47:18 am »

Spring 111 - Getting Started

Businessman's diary.
"We were running out of food supplies so I ordered the wagon to halt and everyone to disembark. We stopped near a cliff side bordering a dense wood. The natural elevation would prove to be a great stating post and its massiveness screens us from the Dragons view."

"We began unloading the goods. I still don't understand why the smith insisted on bringing along an anvil. Where will we get the ore to sue it? Right now its just as useless as it is heavy and I think I strained my ankle while carrying it to the stockpile."

"Soon after unloading I ordered the Lumberjack to do some cutting and the Innkeeper girl reminded me that she could gather some edible plants so we don't starve while the farmer tries to grow something on a spit of sand. That reminded me why I took her with us asides from her enormous rack and I agreed."

"Me and the smith joined her in this undemanding task and while doing so I had time to observe the surroundings and plan out our site in my head."

"The Dragon was indeed very much present. Along with its loathsome Alligator sidekick. Hopefully he won't notice us and leave us alone as long as we don't go near its hoard."

"I also learned why the beast it dubbed One Eye."

"With farming, gathering and woodcutting underway I ordered the construction of some housing. Might not be my dream mansion but that will come in time. Once I'm filthy rich thanks to those adventuring goons."

Summer - We have visitors.

"We worked hard all spring and where finalizing the construction of the Inn/Tavern second floor when suddenly merchants arrived and demanded a trade depot to unload their goods. I already had one in plan but it was low priority compared to the other buildings. I yelled at my Capenters to get it done but they where all to tried of building two small wooden house over the course of three months and insisted on having a break. Furiously I grabbed some tools and constructed a makeshift depot myslef. The traders where at first a little sceptical about standing on it but I convinced them with some smoothe talk. I traded them a barrel of old booze for a copper pick and kicked them out. Thats what you get for critisizing my work. "

"The settlement was coming up nicely. With the new pick serving my smith to make more room for buildings."

"All was going well when suddenly we heard a roar combined with agonizing screams and a fiery sky at the distance."

Some migrants have arrived."I thought."

"Needless to say, a group of idiots went looking for our settlement after hearing from the merchants, and seemingly took a wrong turn somewhere near the DEATH TO YE and HERE BE DRAGONS sign. They popped up right under the dragons nose and then ran disorderly."

"Many died in the resultant fiery inferno."

"Many others... also died."

"Few however, did manage to survive, with only a little burns and bruises and depressed due to loss of a pet mule to a angry reptilian behemoth."

"At first I was afraid that the fleeing migrants would alert the dragon of our presence but forutnatly the old beast was too lazy to pursuit them further that (one) eyesight."

"Unfortunately it's Gator henchman proved to be more persistent. I quickly mobilized a militia/lynch mob and quickly silenced the beast before it could do any harm."

"I hope the big one doesn't mind us taking out his loyal servant."

"Having examined the arrived migrants, I noticed one particularly unharmed one claimed to be a miner. The other was a sobbing Craftswoman, barely recognizable from under her leaking mascara. She was suffering depression due to the loss of a beloved mule or whatever. The two remaining survivors where lightly wounded laying it the bunks. One an unwashed peasant woman that got jabbed in the confrontation with the alligator and one mumbling heap of burns that I could understandably assume was telling me that he was an Advanturer! Huzzah! I examined his pockets to notice that they were haevy with coins. My plan was coming to fruition. I promised him help and rehabilitation assistance in this noble quest. teehee... "

Cotinued here.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:27:23 am by Toady Two »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:23:29 pm »

Hmm.... I like the idea of Pre-Fabricated DF Scenarios. Are you thinking to make it so that anyone can try this Scenario out, and keep track of all the playthroughs in this thread? Or were you thinking more along the lines of a Community Fortress?

It's a neat idea, and it'd be cool to see how different people will handle the issue of the Dragon.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 12:34:30 pm »

Depends on how many people are interested. I won't likely have the time to write a community fort. I only wrote this to get things started and some interest. Anyone can play the site and post their story here. Thats the point of an LSD.

I just discovered something cool that wasn't mentioned in the first post because i didn't know about it myself ;p .

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:36:03 pm »

i'm doing that right now ^_^

I wanna see how different things turn out :)

want me to post updates as well? O.o
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:41:02 pm by short_dwarf »
Courage. Do one brave thing today, then run like H#ll.
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonslayers Inn(LSD)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:56:01 pm »

Sure, post them in whatever form you want. Story, diary, screenshots you name it.

I can be any episode you like: just the beginning, setting up a prosperous town or just a story of the carnage that let to its demise. Just post the year and season so that we know how long you've been building.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:01:08 pm by Toady Two »

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:57:35 pm »

Heh, this sounds very awesome. I'm having a go at it directly.

Also, rapidshare? When will people learn about the DFFD...
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 02:03:09 pm »

Sure, post them in whatever form you want. Story, diary, screenshots you name it.

I can be any episode you like: just the beginning, setting up a prosperous town or just a story of the carnage that let to its demise. Just post the year and season so that we know how long you've been building.

now im seriously confused  ???
by this you mean update yearly/seasonly as we see fit in any form we see fit or just a post of how it started and how it ended ???
Insanity: What others call geniuses when they are jealous and/or unable to comprehend the ideas/inventions of amazing/epic proportions of the one being called insane.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 02:13:15 pm »

Post anything you want about your playthrough. It can be one sentence about something interesting, it can be yearly/seasonal updates telling the whole story(just make sure we can backtrack to all your earlier post if they are disjointed) or it can be a single post showcase of your current situation.

In other words.

Post whatever you see fit.

DFFD link added...

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 02:32:00 pm »

(Short_dwarf's version)

Spring of 111

Om Egaadis, Buisnessman
Diary Entry 13 Granite 111:

Finally arrived. Took nearly two seasons to do so but, now that we have finally arrived it's finally time to get the preperations done for my scam plan on making an town for foolish brave suicidal romantics adventurers who have gone to get killed by slay the dragon.

I layed out areas where the fools we can stockpile materials until they we have the buildings up.

Diary Entry 03 Slate 111:

I stood over the edge of a nearby cliff to take a view of my money lure the dragon.

I have to say though he looks cute. I think i'll nickname him Sulsar.

Diary Entry 27 Felsite 111:

First spring is coming to a close and the Inn is nearly up. Well the first floor at least. Don't know whats taking that idiot Domi so long.

(yea a bit unexciting but hey its first spring :) no that Z is in fact NOT a zombie but, the smith taking a nap.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:20:44 pm by short_dwarf »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 03:35:40 pm »

Huwaah? Two community stories going on at once, in the same topic!? Confusing, very confusing.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 03:46:06 pm »

Interesting idea.  I like reading this(these) stories so far.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:51 pm »

Huwaah? Two community stories going on at once, in the same topic!? Confusing, very confusing.

I hope to have infinitely more... Just add reference links to your earlier posts and it should be decipherable to the averagely intelligent ape. I update mine tomorrow maybe.

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 04:42:05 pm »

(Short_dwarf's version)

Summer of 111

Om Egaadis, Buisnessman
Diary Entry 10 Hematite 111

The traders arrived soon then I thought. I wasn't expecting any until next year. But thats not a problem. The problem is that this FOOL of a liason doesn't let me speak. "We're here to discuss trade agreement" he says. "What do you request from our merchants?" he says. I was just about to take a breath to say what we need when he says "alright then this is was we request from you." Insolent little insignificant lesser being! He goes off making his request. I hardly paid attention to him. He deserved less then that.

Diary Entry 17 Malachite 111:

Not much importance. The traders left though after trading some crafts we found lying on the ground for a pick and a grizzly bear leather as well as some jaguar meat and prickle berries.

Diary Entry 08 Galena 111:

At last the first victims guests of our inn have arrived. A married couple and a single woman came to help us in supporting the Inn. Three were adventurer's hoping to slay Sulsar. Stupid creatures. One was an optimist who apparently doesn't know what a dragon is. and a romantic who believes he can become a knight by slaying Sulsar. I can already smell the money.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:20:29 pm by short_dwarf »

short_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:00 pm »

(Short_dwarf's version)

Fall/Winter of 111

Om Egaadis, Buisnessman
Diary Entry 02 Obsidian 111:

Been to busy lately to write anything. We have even more suicidals adventurers coming in. (I swear I think one of them is really just a drunkard.) I was even told that there was a chasm somewhere near our location.

Great a place to throw out useless people trash. What matters really is that the wall is up, and that those suicidals adventurers say they can handle any threat. Bunch of lying fools. The wall may be up but, I have to think of something as a back up to protect my income the Inn. But that can wait. I'm to tired to think right now.

(That Z is the buisnessman)

Dairy Entry 07 Obsidian 111:

The strangest thing has happened to day. One of the Romantics seems to be tweaking out.

The Romantic suddenly sprinted for the forge and started muttering for bars of metal. I was considering having one of the suicidals adventurer's beat the crap out of him by saying he was possessed by the dragon, but then Tacnu the lyemaker happens to come by and asks if she could hit him instead. If I had cared more I would have probably noticed that she held some kind of grudge against him...as I did as well. The one of the suicidals adventurers said he would make an artifact from this "strange mood". I couldn't decide.....kill this person I entirely hate, or let him have his artifact. The answer is so obvious.

Diary Entry 27 Obsidian 111:

The year is coming to a close but still no idea on what do use as a back up defence plan. Though it's good we have the forge set up in a small corner, that stupid Romantic still has it claimed. I will personally watch as he goes insane. But on a side note we needed more bags for the seeds we seem to be having a to much of. But luckily the lovely Laro says she remembers how her grandmother used to stich bags from cloth. So she has set up a clothier along the wall and is stitching bags from the cloth we traded for with the traders last summer.

1Z level below "ground" level
"Ground" level
1Z level above "ground" level
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:20:16 pm by short_dwarf »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4