Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The option to clean outside  (Read 3903 times)

JuliusC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The option to clean outside
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

Here's a minor request that probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement that would make me and possibly other people really happy.

So cleaning apparently isn't done outside, which makes my outdoor city very very bloody, and there's no way for me to change that. If there was an option in the orders menu to allow cleaning outside, that would be superb.

Thanks!

Gehn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The option to clean outside
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

Yeah, I was having a similar problem in my (now decimated) aboveground town as well.

I'd take it further a bit, and say you should be able to selectively zone indoor portions as being "part of the fortress" (for cleaning, "stay inside" orders, refuse gathering, etc.) and likewise, the ability to zone specific indoor sections as not being part of the fortress.

The option to specify a zone as mud-free, where mud will be cleaned, would be nice as well.

As it stands though, blood and mud is so persistent and pervasive I'd rather not have anybody cleaning. The stuff spreads like wildfire. Somebody else suggested doormats.

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

Only if I can keep them near the fortress.  I can too easily picture them wandering off with their mops and buckets to wipe up whats left of the axedwarf a colossus just killed.

Rylen

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 09:59:00 pm »

A "Wash Walls/Clean Floors" activity zone would be the best solution, I think.  The purpose of the zone would be to ensure that a Clean job would always be in the queue for that zone if the zone had any grime or gunk left in it (just like the Fill Pond job always ensures that it's in the queue until it detects the pond is full).
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

JuliusC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 11:07:00 pm »

I had pictured it to be under the "orders" menu, so in the same way you can prevent dwarves from going outdoors, you can prevent them from cleaning outdoors.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 05:39:00 am »

dwarves do clean outside, I dug out part of the frozen lake for my underwater fortress, and one of my dorfs sat there cleaning out the puddles of water till the lake thawed and he drown.

I just don't think dwarves ever clean mud or blood.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jimbo8250

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:30:00 am »

Maybe we could have an extra zone, purely devoted for cleaning? Any dwarf with the cleaning labor could clean anything in there first before moving onto another area on the map.  Thus you could turn your entire above-ground city into a zone, and the dwarves would clean there first before moving inside.