Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some Mods I have whipped up  (Read 1850 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Some Mods I have whipped up
« on: March 16, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »

Here's the Object file if you would like to download this without having to copy and paste everything.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=907

Smelting changes:

Ores:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Metal:

Reactions:

I am aware that Adamantine and magnetite is not new, however I put them in there because I have changed them around a bit.

Basically I am in need of some advice, what should I change here and there to balance the game out. I know magnetite is in need of adjustment, however I am not sure of what I can do with it so that it can be found more easily throughout the game but still not in to much abundance. This is mostly needed so that Mithril can be introduced smoothly along with Runite.

Monster Changes:

Dragon's Heart:

Dragon has been changed minimally, it drops a new gem called "Dragon's Heart", got the idea from the Eragon series and thought I could add in some awesome new features added around it.

Baby Dragons I added in to spice things up a bit, if I did the coding right two of these fun things should show up at your fortress.

The Rune Collosus is basically the Bronze upgraded. A bit stronger, and it's punches burn you ^_^.

The basilisk is basically a dragon affiliated with Ice.

New and Changed Races

Dracans:

I tried to make a race that I found ideal but not over powered. Looking more for opinions with them but if you have some ideas for balancing them I'm open.

Not all of these items are in the same file just put them all in the same spoiler. I'm not sure if the hits tag works for the Xet but there is nothing in the error log rejecting it.

Orcs:

Orcs, obviously inspired by Rysith's Orc mod. They are basically the goblins with an upgrade. I am looking to make them more resilient and more aggressive. Let me know if yall have an idea for them.

I think that is just about everything ^_^
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:38:33 pm by mission0 »
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Mods I have whipped up
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »

A couple things I noticed.

The prefstring is used to determine what other races may like about them, not what they like.  What you have there will show up as "So-and-so likes dracans for their earth."  Which may not be what you were going for.

Speed 500 makes them quite fast naturally.  Lower numbers are faster higher numbers slower.  I belive the default is 1000.

In my experience fireimmune only makes things act like they are immune.  My dragon dudes replace the standard flesh and homeotherm with [HEATDAM_POINT:12600] [IGNITE_POINT:13000] and[MELTING_POINT:13500].  if you were going for making them immune to heat those values should do the trick.  Makes them able to swim in magma as well last I checked.  Though their clothes will still catch fire and turn them into a mobile food and booze stockpile destroyer for a year if they try it.

Looks allright to me otherwise.  The damblock and natural attacks look a little on the strong side to me but not incredibly so.

P.S. Forgot, If you play adventure mode you may notice you can grapple with the default wings.  Making a custom set without the [liMB] tag makes that impossible but doing that may have side effects that I havent found yet.  Up to you if you wanna do that, but I thought wing grappling seemed weird.

P.S.2: After looking at the orcs unless yer planning on them replacing the goblins completely you need to change that header to EVIL2 or something like that.  The goblins currently use EVIL and no 2 things can have the same header.  I see the orcs are also rather powerful natural attacks wise, so I see why yer drakan have such high power though :).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:22:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:54 pm »

The prefstring and Orcs replacing the goblins were exactly what I was doing.

As for fireimmune not working other than making them think they are, I didn't know that thanks ^_^.

There speed is unnaturally high, I was going for the opposite of the orcs. Where the Dracans were fast and somewhat strong. While the Orcs brute forced there way through everything.

EDIT: Made the changes to HeatDam and kept in Fireimmune, However I'm not sure if I have just made them immune to fire like I intended or Immune to magma?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:39:37 pm by mission0 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:39:38 pm »

Looks good then.  Hope you enjoy. :)

Sorry I can't help with the weapon HITS tag, but I never tried it myself so I can't give you any advice there.  Might work might not.  If it dosn't work in hand it should hit twice per weapon in traps at least.

EDIT: Should make them immune to the fire and the heat the fire generates.  Without the heatdam tags they would still be immune to the fire itself, but would have died from the heat the fire generated.  Magma immunity is just a side effect.  You should be able to get away with lower values if you don't want magma immunity, but I don't know the temperature fire burns at, so you would have to experiment.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:42:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:48:17 pm »

There is no entry for the runite stone.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:57:54 pm »

Look under mithril, it is only a possible outcome like lead in galena.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:12:01 pm »

For the [HITS:?] tag, both the wiki and testing I just did confirm that it only has an effect on trap components such as spiked balls and giant corkscrews. On weapons it has no effect, but for some reason it seems to not generate an error message. The most probable reason for that would be that it is a valid tag and is recognized, it just has no effect on the ingame weapons.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:23:36 pm »

Wow, mission0!

What an original, new and exciting mod! I sure can't wait to use this in my fort!

Wow, what would I do without you?

EDIT: I do like the idea of the dragon's heart. Base a mod off of this. Make it the new adamantine. Profit.

EDITEDIT: You spelled "basilisk" wrong.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:16:04 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 12:53:44 pm »

Get out of here!  >:(
*Takes asshat-hat and kicks robo-jesus out of thread*
Seriously, who wants a sword made out of dragon organs?

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:26 pm »

Unless I missed something, your Orcs have [INTELLIGENT] but not [BABYSNATCHER], which means that they will likely be at peace with you.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 04:32:03 pm »

Unless I missed something, your Orcs have [INTELLIGENT] but not [BABYSNATCHER], which means that they will likely be at peace with you.

I haven't been able to test things to much but you may be right... In the legends there have been no battles between anyone except the humans and elves. I'll put the babysnatcher tag back in and see what happens.

The Dragon Heart, I was thinking of using more of like an upgrade to metals instead of making a sword directly from it.

EDIT: Rysith you were right, started a fort right next to them and they were set to friendly. [BABYSNATCHER] tag added.

EDIT:EDIT: I was thinking of turning this into a down-loadable mod where I would update it based on what input I would get back from people and add on new features that people ask for. Would anybody be interested if I did this?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 05:10:20 pm by mission0 »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 05:13:20 pm »

It would certainly make it easier.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 05:42:01 pm »

EDIT: Rysith you were right, started a fort right next to them and they were set to friendly. [BABYSNATCHER] tag added.

If you want early orcs, you'll want to remove [INTELLIGENT] and [BABYSNATCHER], then add [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV]. Giving them [INTELLIGENT] implies [CAN_SPEAK], which lets them be at peace. [BABYSNATCHER] will make them steal babies and force them to be hostile, but at the same time will prevent them from sending things other than babysnatchers and ambush squads until you reach 80 dwarves.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 05:55:33 pm »

If you want early orcs, you'll want to remove [INTELLIGENT] and [BABYSNATCHER], then add [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV]. Giving them [INTELLIGENT] implies [CAN_SPEAK], which lets them be at peace. [BABYSNATCHER] will make them steal babies and force them to be hostile, but at the same time will prevent them from sending things other than babysnatchers and ambush squads until you reach 80 dwarves.

added in babysnatcher and they weren't hostile, I'll try getting rid of the implied can_speak and put in can learn and can civ.

EDIT: Ok took out babysnatcher then did what you said and they still weren't hostile... I'm starting to think it may be something on the Dracan side that is making the Orcs be friendly towards them...

EDIT:EDIT: The orcs had both the babysnatcher tag and didn't have can_speak...and they were still friendly. I'm confused now >_>
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:27:25 pm by mission0 »

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 11:53:32 pm »

Annother thing you can do to make your races kill eachother is to play with the ethics.
If you don't care about being accurate, and just want your digital creations to murder eachother, try setting one race's ethics all to ACCEPTABLE, and the other race's to UNTHINKABLE. As far as I know, they have little effect on the behavior, except in causing wars...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!
Pages: [1] 2