Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: dwarf fort mmo?  (Read 13661 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf fort mmo?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 10:52:01 pm »

Sieges take time to get to you. You can avoid being wiped out in your first year by building farther away from other forts.
Also, maybe give a handicap to players in their starting years. First year they only get 33% of each incoming raid force, second year 66%, and then 100% every year after that.

Traps and walls are very clearly overpowered. To make the game more fun/challenging, both for online play and in offline, spear users should check the ground ahead of them as they walk giving them a 50% chance to set off and break any trap they come across. Wooden walls can be torn down by axes, stone and metal walls can be torn down by hammerdwarves. Obviously metal walls would come down very slowly even with the best hammers.

Iden

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Speardwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2009, 01:56:28 am »

Sieges take time to get to you. You can avoid being wiped out in your first year by building farther away from other forts.

So what happens when the map is almost filled? Theoretically it'd happen eventually.

Or people troll and build close to you? Someone awesome at the game wipes their awesome fort, starts a new one right next to somebody else to try to zergrush them? What now? It'll happen. It's the internet. Trolls will come eventually.

Traps and walls are very clearly overpowered. To make the game more fun/challenging, both for online play and in offline, spear users should check the ground ahead of them as they walk giving them a 50% chance to set off and break any trap they come across.

Why not send in a bunch of Spearwielders to de-trap the zone every time?
Traps would be useless then. Spears would need to be broken to balance this.

Wooden walls can be torn down by axes, stone and metal walls can be torn down by hammerdwarves. Obviously metal walls would come down very slowly even with the best hammers.

Why would anyone ever build anything but metal walls? Of course stone at first, but eventually the entire fortress would be lined in metal. At least the entire entrance-way would be thoroughly and ridiculously lined with metal so that you'd never get through as long as their gates were closed.

And nobody would use wood if it was easy to take down like that. That and it'd be a waste of resources you could use for other things.

Then again the question becomes this: Do you mean Defensive Walls or Interior Walls? By all means the wall between 2 dwarf bedrooms is not going to be as thick and well-built as the wall between your fortress and your primary entrance... as a wall built for defensive purposes.

Walls built [properly] for defensive purposes? You aren't getting through with an axe or a hammer. That's the purpose of them. If you do, then there's nobody defending the fort. It'd take you so long to chip your way through you'd either be chased off or killed while trying. Assuming your weapon is of fine craftsmanship and holds up. If you do manage to succeed... then you should probably leave the newbie alone and let him know he needs some crossbows guarding his walls from being broken into.

This is why siege tactics were developed. Sieges weren't meant to be easy. Fortresses were built specifically to keep people out -- to really make it as hard as humanly (or dwarfenly) possible for anybody or anything to get inside once you close your gates.  This is why rams, sapping & tunneling (I had a big series of posts on this elsewhere, as well -- sapping was difficult and ineffective - tunneling in was even more difficult and ineffective -- not to mention both were very dangerous), siege weapons (trebs, cats, etc.), siege towers & siege ladders, and other siege tactics were developed! Infiltrating and opening gates was a good tactic (sacrifice a few instead of taking amazing casualties and crippling your army trying to get in).

Assaulting a castle often took lots of balls. Far more attackers would tend to die than defenders. You try climbing a wall and having someone up top waiting to kill you. Sound fun?

Another common way to siege? Sitting the heck down and taking a load off. Just barricade a city/castle in, cut them off from supplies and trade, and let them rot and slowly die inside until they give up or die. You starve them out. If you're real lucky someone might get tired and lose their head, and opt to open a gate trying to get out/let you in so that an end could be put to this madness and the cruel, hungry, slow, diseased, disgusting death.

I also support the addition of far more in-depth siege warfare. Can you tell? ^^;

Though starving out would be boring, it's an effective method. Especially if you dig in real good. Then your enemy has to open the gates and attack YOU if he really wants you gone (and wants his dinner). Then he has to lose lots of troops forcing you out of your heavily defended mini-fort. Or... he could surrender. Though this wouldn't work too well in Dwarf Fort, seeing as you could just have underground farms to feed your population. Not unless some people were inexperienced or not dwarfen.

That's just one of the problems with trying to get Fort Mode working in a Multiplayer (or Massively Multiplayer) setting. Sieges aren't easy. They aren't fast. If they are, somebody is doing something wrong and you probably aren't the guy they would have put in charge of that sort of thing to begin with.

Right now you could just simply "dig" or "build ramp" or even "dig stairs" and "build stairs" to get in. There would have to be some fundamental change to keep these things from being done and forts becoming real easy to overcome. Otherwise, somebody would be inside your fort before you got your stuff together. You'd be slaughtered, you'd lose everything in a matter of moments. Nobody wants that crap.

Perhaps attackers would be locked on soldier status. If you wanted to dig through stone you'd need to bring Engineers. Basic defensive positions, channels, small wooden bridges, wooden barriers, etc. should be able to be built by the soldiers themselves so they don't need to be standing out in the middle of the open waiting to be slaughtered. Anything more advanced would require engineers. Building siege engines/weapons should be the job of Engineers as well. Ladders should be easy enough for a soldier to be able to figure out how to build.

Though if I may make a suggestion to everybody, do click the link in my signature. It has a few ideas for MMODF that could work out a little bit better than "MP Fort Mode".
Legendary Conversationalist
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Writer of Epics

I support AMMDF!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2009, 02:20:47 am »

When the map is filled, your options are to either join an alliance and build near them, or beg Toady to start a second world for us to play in.

Traps would not be useless, as 50% of the time they are still killing speardwarves, and 100% of the time a good trap will kill any other dwarf. imo, it's a lot better than the current system of traps being a 100% effective defense against anything and everything that comes at you.

Metal is not available in all areas. Even if you trade for it, it would take a while to get enough to build good walls out of. But yes, it should be the ideal material for defensive walls when possible.

These dwarves can chip through 5 times their own body length in solid stone in less time than it takes to prepare a lavish meal, and you're trying to tell me that a dwarf with a sledgehammer can't get through a metal wall given a little time and motivation?
Sure a mobile siege weapon would be preferable, but I'm trying to keep my suggestions as simple as possible. Tearing through walls with the tools currently in game should be relatively simple to implement.

You seem to have not read or possibly skimmed some of my posts..my proposal is a system where each player only worries about defending his own fort. Attacks are completely controlled by the AI, so you don't have dwarves tunneling into your fortress or building ramps to get over walls, or setting up defensive positions outside your fort. I suggested means of bypassing traps and walls so that the existing AI could realistically bypass these "perfect defenses", though not without incurring some casualties along the way.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:36:12 am by Folly »

Iden

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Speardwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2009, 03:05:23 am »

Well.. in the case I haven't read everything you've said, I must concede the point.

Though I still support digging. ;-)

And I must say actually attacking would be a lot more fun than simply having dwarves AI-controlled and getting butchered constantly by real players who can develop advanced tactics.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 03:09:08 am by Iden »
Legendary Conversationalist
Legendary Persuader
Legendary Writer of Epics

I support AMMDF!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2009, 01:59:18 pm »

Yes that would certainly be more challenging...however it would also require a lot of expensive bandwidth, a significant undertaking in setting up a server that would monitor both players at once, also a significant undertaking in setting up a client that would maintain and utilize a connection to said server, and also a lot of work rescripting military AI so that your dwarves don't just rush straight into the enemy fort anyway.
I think it's possible to have a multiplayer system which is still competitive and challenging but has each person playing independently and requires very minimal change from the existing client.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2009, 05:26:26 pm »

I think it's possible to have a multiplayer system which is still competitive and challenging but has each person playing independently and requires very minimal change from the existing client.

Minimal change?  Everything you're advocating is a giant step in the opposite direction of DF's future.  What you want is a well balanced RTS with a weakly persistent MP world, and DF won't ever approach any of that.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2009, 08:05:31 pm »

When the map is filled, your options are to either join an alliance and build near them, or beg Toady to start a second world for us to play in.

Wow, that sounds like a fun time for newbies and Toady. Sign me up for a game that forces me to either a) kotow to some alliance leader uber-nerd or b) bug the game dev, distracting him from actual work because nobody on the playground will let me into their clubhouse.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2009, 08:16:27 pm »

Wow, that sounds like a fun time for newbies and Toady. Sign me up for a game that forces me to either a) kotow to some alliance leader uber-nerd or b) bug the game dev, distracting him from actual work because nobody on the playground will let me into their clubhouse.

Welcome to people who have no idea how much work, money and effort goes into making a decently balanced MMO game.  They almost all sound like this..  And they all have their ideas on how to fix the problem, and none of them have the 6-35 million dollars to put up to back the programmer when their grand little scheme fails.

And they will poo-poo this message.. they will point out some obscure open source thing which gathered a few people... they will say that no one has done it their way..  They will say they can do it with two strings and tin cans...  I am so tired of hearing them.. They are in all the development forums that I am on.

The reality is they are just little spoiled kids that want what they cant have.  If it was ever given to them.. They wouldn't even play the game because they would discover someone else was better than them at it.

and they would cry when the better person kicked over their weakly built sand castle with superior game playing ability.

"Whine whine.... we need noobie protection. The older players dont help us out"
"Whine whine... bad urist mckillsalot killed my entire guild"
"Whine whine... I died due to lag and its all stupid toady's fault for not installing OC-196"
"Whine whine.... The server reset made me start my fort over"
"Whine whine... I got banned and now I am gonna packet the server."

These are all basic complaints I received as a GM on my brothers MMO server.   And you have never seen hell until 300 Brazilians show up on a server with the express intent of killing every single person who speaks English...

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:29:51 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 08:50:09 pm »

Wow, that's some impressive trolling right there.
I'm sorry you have to deal with dicks all day at your job, but that's no reason to come here and turn into one yourself.

I proposed an asynchronous online method specifically so that he wouldn't need to spend $35,000,000 every month on bandwidth. How much space does a DF world take, like 5mb? Transferring that much twice per play session shouldn't break anyone's bank.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 09:41:27 pm »

Okay, let's keep things polite here, hey? Getting angry over the design of a game mode that will never exist seems pretty silly to me.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »

Wow, that's some impressive trolling right there.
I'm sorry you have to deal with dicks all day at your job, but that's no reason to come here and turn into one yourself.

I proposed an asynchronous online method specifically so that he wouldn't need to spend $35,000,000 every month on bandwidth. How much space does a DF world take, like 5mb? Transferring that much twice per play session shouldn't break anyone's bank.

And I am sorry you did not bother to read my post.   

And just because I point out reality does not make me a dick. 

If I can be so frightening that you have to skew what I say and make up the number of 35 million a month for bandwith when I never said anything about month to month upkeep costs... It must be you honestly feel threatened somehow.

What I said was meant to be thought provoking.  Now how about bringing something to the table besides calling me a dick.

And since you didn't read my message here I will say it again.  Why don't YOU, bring the 5 to 35 million to the table to help toad hire a programming, GM, and helpdesk staff.   Then help him with the cluster to run the worlds.. then hire some lawyers for his legal department.  THEN... pay for bandwidth.. although I have to be honest... bandwidth is chump change anymore.

If you do those things I will withdraw my opposition.

If you don't... well... You call me a dick.. don't hurt my feelings... I have had my life threatened because I am a GM.. They do not seem to care I am a volunteer... Being called a dick is the least of my worries.    But I still think you should skip personal comments for someone who has only added REALISTIC evaluations of an idea.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:53:43 pm by profit »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 11:55:47 pm »

I'm sorry if I misconstrued your your massive wall of insults as somehow being rude and completely unwarranted...my bad.

However GM's and helpdesks's are the kind of support you have to provide for games that you pay to buy and to continue playing. As I've stated before, the system I'm proposing involves minimal changes from the existing client, and should not require any additional support nor additional programmers.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2009, 12:21:18 pm »

However GM's and helpdesks's are the kind of support you have to provide for games that you pay to buy and to continue playing. As I've stated before, the system I'm proposing involves minimal changes from the existing client, and should not require any additional support nor additional programmers.

You do realize that it's not a minimal change in the client.. and the entire server program will have to be built from scratch, bug tested, beta tested,  secured, and then maintained on a computer.   I fail to see how creating another program with more complexity than dwarf fortress which has monopolized toady's time would not require additional programmers to do....

I mean just a secure stats server would take several more programmers to do. (Insecure maybe it could be done in a couple months)  But you are not asking for a stats server.

Now for the client.... You want to DOWNLOAD an image... Then PLAY it locally then UPLOAD it back to the server without the server doing processing on it!?!?!?

There is NO WAY ON EARTH to secure such a system.  Every kid and his brother will cheat, cheat to excess, and excessively cheat.    I am sure by about the 712th attack of 65,535 dwarfs *This will almost certainly be the number they send!*  Ending your 715th fortress, lets see if you still think such a method was a good way of creating a MMO game.

There are reasons games play on a server and they hook in with clients that only display graphics.   The main reason is security, as clients can NEVER be secured.   Once computations are handled on the server... See my earlier post.   

But even if this was a perfect world,Cheaters did not exist, The constitutionalists won the election, there was an english speaking population of 1.9 trillion because no one has ever died, and there were no wars or famine, it still is not minimal changes to the client.   Sure we can send a save file to the server and it can send it to someone else.. but then what?

What do you do with the other persons save file *WE are pretending the game can only be played by two people to keep heads from exploding for a second*.

Sure you could play their fortress they built, but what use is it unless you program instructions for what do do with it.   In order to be any fun at all it would have to Acknowledge the impacts these other forts have done to the region.  This would take programming, probably more than exists in dwarf fortress currently.

Now add 30,000 of these save files... that have to be read, and computed and blended at the server. (well ok more like 8 because no one will play mmo fort for long but we are still working in fantasy world with no cheaters and everything else, and an english speaking population of 1.9 trillion) Each one of these has to be read, done some bounds checking, worked into the world, raid results given, combined, made into a monolithic image and then prepared for each client as they log in.

Back in the real world.. actually never mind. Toady said he wouldn't do this so... I am just doing this for educational purposes not to stop the grand evil of wasted exceptional programmer time.. 

So no, and stop saying minimal work. Everyone knows it's not minimal work and it makes me cringe thinking that somehow you believe it is.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:23:11 pm by profit »

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 01:01:23 pm »

I'm sorry, I missed something. Was profit agreeing with my point or calling me a whiney bitch?

Either way, I am forced to agree with him for reasons I stated earlier.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2009, 08:46:43 pm »

LOL was calling no one a that =)

I just happened to clip part of your message, but looking back I agreed with you and disagreed strongly with the person you quoted.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7