Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If i add reactions to reactions_standard.txt. will other civs have access to it?  (Read 711 times)

hiS_oWn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In DF does that mean there will instantly be a preponderence of adamantine cloth shoes? In adventurer will it mean that an Orc village will have gleaming piles of black diamonds?

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made an addition called Annealed Green Glass Bolts, which are made from bars of Annealed Green Glass.  I've seen Annealed Green Glass items from dwarven caravans, although I haven't seen gobbies or kobolds drop them.  Not sure about orcs, but I think some civs are hardcoded to a subset of materials and so they can't use new types either (I haven't seen humans with steel or Annealed Green Glass, for example).
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

If the annealed glass is better than steel, then that's for the same reason kobalds and goblins don't use steel; wrong material preference tag.

Reactions are not restricted to race.  If an item that is not used as a crafting material is produced by the reaction, only your fortresses will use it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

If I'm understanding your question correctly, then adding a new item that cannot be obtained in any way except via the reaction will not allow civs to start using them, even if they have access to the materials used in the reaction.

If it's an item that they had access to, they will continue to use it, but the item will not be more abundant.

Since adamantine has the DEEP tag, no civ has access to shoes made out of it, even if you add a reaction.

Any civ that previously had access to black diamonds will continue to use black diamonds after you create the reaction. Civs that did not have access to black diamonds will continue to not use black diamonds after you create the reaction.

Assuming your Annealed Green Glass is a type of metal bar, then merely adding it to the metal matgloss file caused it (and items made out of it) to start being used by civs. Adding a reaction file had nothing to do with it. The reason humans can't use it probably has to do with the lack of the METAL_PREF token; I'm not sure exactly how it restricts metal use it, but in vanilla DF they can't use anything stronger than iron (i.e. steel)
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile

Civs with METAL_PREF use the best metal without the DEEP tag (steel in vanilla). Civs without it use iron, unless they have MINOR_METAL. Then they'll use the weakest metal available (copper in vanilla).
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Civs with METAL_PREF use the best metal without the DEEP tag (steel in vanilla). Civs without it use iron, unless they have MINOR_METAL. Then they'll use the weakest metal available (copper in vanilla).
Silver, actually.  Minor metal makes them use a metal within a certain range, although I'm not entirely sure what that range is.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember