Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Spearwonders Succession, Large World, Early Years  (Read 3853 times)

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearwonders Succession, Large World, Early Years
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2009, 12:47:30 am »

my computer is kinda whacked right now and can't be relied upon, but thanks.
name a lye maker after me or something.

toodles.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2009, 11:59:28 am »

Summer

12th Hematite: The Caravan from the humans arrived. I do hope that they do not bring goblins with them. In any case, it is a use for the hundreds upon hundreds of narrow cloths.

21st Hematite: Seriously, the caravan is waiting, and all Deathy can think of is to party? Shame!

22nd Hematite: cats are good for 2 things: catching vermin, and catching ambushes. Here, they found the latter. Should be fun.

On second thought, another ambush has spring, with bow goblins. Retreat!

26th Hematite: A third ambush!!! And this one proved fatal for a clother. Humph.

1st malachite: So the goblins are devastated, and the first thing the mayor does is ban exports of bins. I wasn’t about to sell any anyways.

12th Malachite: Trading was good, aparently, as I saw tonnes less goblin cloths, and a happy Dwarf leaving the depot.

7th Galena: So no immigrants came, and we struck microline. Hmmm… Coincidence?

8th galena: the engraving of the dining hall is coming along… but there is no image of me! What is this? They have portraits of Deathy, but not me!

28th Galena: The work on the waterfall is coming along nicely. I will need a couple in my quarters after the new dining hall is ready. I figure by the time the next caravan comes and goes, everyone will be a bit happier.

Also, I have dug out what I hope to become future farms for outdoor crops.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 05:01:32 pm »

Fall:

3rd Limestone: I am depressed at how little progress has been made on my quarters. Post haste, men!

11th Limestone: The Caravan has arrived. I was pleased, until I found out that we had nothing to trade…

16th Limestone: Thankfully, some goblins have ambushed us. Now, we may trade some garments to the caravan so I can restock our wood. Also, I will likely need more glass. I’m sending some champions to dispatch the Goblins now.

17th Limestone: Another ambush, threatening a mechanic this time. I’m dispatching 2 champions to his position.

21st Limestone: No casualties, other than a Caravan guard, and lots of trading goods make this day a great day!

10th Sandstone: A tanner claimed a leatherworks shop, and is taking many gems. I hope this is good.

16th Sandstone: he made a beautiful elf leather bag, which is now in my room. Also, I’m reallocating a Goblin cage to be in my room, to begin my collection.

25th Sandstone: We got some more migrants today, who I will divide among mining, stone working, mechanics, threshers, and military.

Or not… I only got 4 immigrants, half already in the military.

13th Timber: Deathy ended his silly mandate banning bin exportation. He must have become more sensible, like me, because I actually do useful stuff.

17th Timber: I’m hiring more mechanics. They need to get more work done.

24th Timber: Deathy wants some Bismuth Items. And what do you know, I’ve already made some bismuth bronze.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2009, 07:30:50 pm »

Winter:

8th Moonstone: One of the 2 Waterfall systems is ready to be turned online. First, the pulling of the lever!

14th Opal: Well, the waterfall didn’t work as planned. I’m hoping to fix it. Also, my room is complete! Almost.

7th Obsidian: After a quick fix of the perpetual motion device, there are now waterfalls! Time for some last minute touches…

10th Obsidian: Time to finish up the roof and Fortifications.

24th Obsidian: I’ve begun searching for the underground river. It may be useful.

1st Granite: So the fort is mid-search for the underground waterfall, has many labeled levers, and an Elf trap. Also, please put any exotic animals in my room, thanks. (also, you need bismuth).

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=956
can someone upload a map?

deathstar175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 02:20:52 am »

Nice work Vieto, Cynic your up! And i will try to get a map loaded sometime in the next day.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 12:58:13 pm »

live, damn you, live

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 01:25:48 pm »

Add me to this please.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

deathstar175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 09:27:52 pm »

Cynic, you have until noon on the 10th to start posting or your turn is up. And added you to the end Carcer

xpCynic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:02 pm »

Damn, shove me down to the bottom of the list. I have no time for Dwarf Fortress at the moment. :(

deathstar175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 02:30:23 pm »

Alrighty than, Nil your up !

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 06:59:45 pm »

Upon taking control of Spearwonders, I finally had the opportunity to address a deficiency this fort has suffered far too long--a lack of appreciation for modern military science.  The theory behind the straight line fortifications overlooking our entrance has been known to be flawed since the late teens, and the command structure used by the military here hasn't been taken seriously by experts in a decade.  Accordingly, my first act was to clearly label the ranks of champions and reorganize them into active duty and reserve squads.  I then sent Bembul and the Consideration of Ringing to secure a strategic bend of the stream.  This would be the site of Fort Spearpoint, my planned marvel of cutting-edge fortification technology.

Then, it came to my attention that the resident bureaucrat, Deathy, lacked an office or quarters befitting his rank.   Desk jockeys have their place, and it's called a desk.  Not only was his lack of an office embarrassing him in front of foreigners, it was existentially absurd!  I drew up planes for a freestanding office in the courtyard and ordered the masons to start making some nice granite blocks.  Granite's a great building material, lasts for ever.

As my masons got to work, I worked through the civilian population, having individuals focus on only one or two types of hauling tasks. It was no time at all before the elven traders arrived. The moment they were spotted by the sentries, Zefon the woodworker came under control of some sort of outside force and started gathering wood.  In no time at all he was working manically. At the time I was sure it was some sort of elven trick...

Turns out I wasn't exactly very correct in that.

fort spearpoint's foundations under construction

It will be perfect for Deathy's new office.  While not especially ornate, it will do a great job at letting those merchants--who are usually just advance scouts--know what happens to those that cross Spearwonders.  Plus, his name is Deathy!  And the goblin is dying!  It's quite droll. Although Zefon gained no skill from his ordeal--he claims to remember nothing--Burdentrades is a worthy addition to Spearwonders.

I ordered construction on a medium sized obsidian factory and a gym.  A fortress must have strong industry and strong citizens!  And if sacrifices must be made--such as the incineration of the miners Nomal and Nish in the obsidian factory--then it is only the price of progress.

As the month of Slate began, the guard Rigoth killed Lorban, an armorsmith.  Although I appreciate the value of preventative public displays of the torture and execution of criminals as much as the next dwarf, this still seemed a little harsh--the hapless armorsmith was only guilty of failing to make something out of bismuth, a metal we lacked anyway.  I'll have to be sure not to underestimate Rigoth or Deathy, who ordered the punishment.

A week later 17 migrants showed up, including a blacksmith, a dyer, a craftdwarf, and three soldiers. Those with useful skills were sent to the gym or the farms, those without to Fort Spearpoint, where construction continued at a very satisfactory rate.  The construction, the gyms, and the various magma powered workshops were the focus of activity into Felsite.  Deathy's office was completed halfway through the month--it boasts granite block walls, green block floors, and the furniture to both hold records and conduct negotiations.

deathy's new office

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 08:33:15 pm »

Did you like the waterfalls?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 08:44:11 pm »

yeah dude it's a great setup.  i didn't even realize it was a perpetual motion thing when I first saw it, thought you'd left me something that was about to overflow.  that boost from the mist will be crucial when the economy hits and half the dwarves lose their rooms.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 09:04:13 pm »

Mind you, I was very lucky. I accidentally had the dining waterfall open to the river for 5 seconds. The pressure almost caused it to overflow.

However, if it does overflow, evaporation would eventually correct it. It overflowed in my room though, but only on 2 tiles surrounding the left hole.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 10:20:25 pm »

As the days grew long, the exploratory mining ordered by the dungeon master started to pay off.  An underground river was found just to the southeast of the magma vent.  It could easily be used for large scale obsidian production, and has already released tower cap spores throughout the area, as the saplings growing in the sand collection area prove.

It is occupied by 15 beastmen of varying varieties and a cave crocodile.

We then faced an incursion from the goblins.  They were unskilled, few in number, and disorganized; I've never witnessed a more pathetic excuse for a "seige."  There were, naturally, no injuries.  One of the smarter ones tried to flee, but we ran him down--nothing like a good rout! Personally, I was actually in the gym, but the spirit of every dwarf in Spearwonders is with the Consideration of Ringing when they are on the field of battle.

The dowsers say there is something that is valuable but dangerous deep in the ground to the east.  I've ordered a large exploratory shaft to be started just east of Fort Spearpoint; I'm making the ceiling high enough and the angle low enough to, hopefully, allow archers in the fort to shoot down into it.

As Malachite began, one of the peasants collected a number of materials and crafted the Brazen Coincidences, a wooden trumpet. He is quite pleased with himself, despite the fact that it sounds like someone kicking a moghommer when played. Leave it to a peasant to not know anything about good music!  It is at least fairly valuable, worth almost as much as our best artifact, Teachermerges the elk leather bag.

Galena saw some minor initiatives on my part.  For one, I finally met with a glassmaker, and former administrator, that had been pestering me ever since I took over. Although generally under control of himself, he reminded me of the fey dwarves with their manic singlemindedness. This dwarf's project was the hunk of green glass sitting in the courtyard.  Although it is militarily useless, the glassdwarf was correct in pointing out that the aquarium was very nearly done.  I decided indulge him and finish it; there was nothing left except to patch a corner or two.  I decided to also add in a few windows on the lower levels, for increased visibility--I can't imagine this will cause any problems in the future.  By the end of the month, the trappers had started searching for fish and the tank was starting to fill.

But I paid little attention to this, because shortly after meeting with the retired leader, Fort Spearpoint was completed.  Although I estimated it would take another month to fill the moat, the fortifications would work fine without it. If my calculations are correct, the angled approach will allow marksdwarves to exploit the high ground without sacrificing the ability to include a whole squad of enemies in the same field of fire. I plan to build a road under the protective range of the fort, and even if external enemies do not provide a challenge to the defenders--the goblin's martial prowess hasn't been impressive so far--Spearpoint is also ready to defend against whatever lurks in the depths (provided the miners stick to the external shaft).

I took the liberty of using some of the surplus green glass to build myself a command post of the top floor of the fort.

On a side note, the dungeon master Vieto asked some impertinent questions during the opening ceremony. The tendency for some of these dwarves to find value in gears and pumps and other mechanical novelties boggles my mind, and for him to go so far as to imply that the absence of such trinkets means something is not modern is insulting.  Any fool can see the future lies in masonry!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5