Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rest when...  (Read 1861 times)

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
Rest when...
« on: April 22, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

I've had it with dwarves who die because they heal too slowly with yellow bruises and eventually go insane.

Either speed up the healing of minor wounds, or give some way to order your dwarves to rest when their wounds are of a certain color or above.  To keep the latter balanced, healing should slow down when not resting or maybe go backwards (depending on the level of injuries), and wounded dwarves could not be as efficient workers.

Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rest when...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

My current idea was to add doctors, which can treat patients to make them heal faster, and talk with them (they get happy thoughts from the company).
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

I think forcing a Dwarf to rest is too far.

I think it would be better if you could assign a dwarf a mini-vacation where they would only tend to their needs like wounds. (though you would think a dwarf with enough wounds would stop working anyhow... but that is how Dwarves differ from humans I guess... they always try to tough things out)

The Hospital is also another great idea.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:41:00 am »

I second the hospital idea, but it would be called something more... umm... unconventional than just a 'hospital'. Another idea would be a healing potion, not insta-cure that regens lopped off arms but maybe a light wound healer version and a bone-melder version, one for light scratches or cuts and another that magically forces bones together, not a instant heal, but a rather rapid one... say a arm break in a month? At least it give your alchemist something better to do than go make soap... We'd just have to wait for the magic arc for that to work though...
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

The main reason I suggested a Rest when feature is the yellow bruises.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Ralgor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

I like the idea of having a hospital room and doctor profession.  I think it would be cool to also have a First Aid skill that can be used to stop bleeding, even on the battlefield.  Can I train me a combat medic?
The dwarven equivalent of barbed wire:<BR>This is a finely-crafted Pig tail rope.  It is made from exceptional pig tail cloth.  This object menaces with spikes of green glass.

Ralgor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Also, having various first aid items would make another use for cloth.
The dwarven equivalent of barbed wire:<BR>This is a finely-crafted Pig tail rope.  It is made from exceptional pig tail cloth.  This object menaces with spikes of green glass.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

Yellow isn't bruises.  Yellow is breaks.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Yeah, light grey is bruises and brown is cuts.  Yellow means something's broken, so taking a while to heal them kinda makes sense.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlmostEverywhere:
<STRONG>Yeah, light grey is bruises and brown is cuts.  Yellow means something's broken, so taking a while to heal them kinda makes sense.</STRONG>

But them going insane?

Also, to your signature: It's actually just a !!cage!!.

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

None of my dwarves have survived a rest.

One went insane after a year and a half. Yellow wounds.

Others just starved because everyone was busy.  Yellow wounds, always taking years to heal.

FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 02:15:00 pm »

You need to make certain they're actually resting, as opposed to having No Job. Some wounds cause sufficient pain to make dwarves fall unconscious, and when they wake up, they revert to No Job, which means they stop healing. Furthermore, because they're on beds, dwarves won't re-rescue them. So remove the bed, and make certain they have another one to move to, and a dwarf should rescue them again.

And of course, have lots of buckets, and make certain that the water/food supply is near to the beds, to minimize the chance of a dwarf getting distracted while doing a caretaker job. Wounded dwarves only generate caretaker jobs at Hungry/Thirsty and Starving/Dehydrated; if both jobs for a given status get cancelled, then the dwarf will die.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

It would be nice if the "doctor" type skills suggested were just part of the Health Care job that exists currently, rather than something new. Health Care seems atm to be little more than glorified hauling - taking wounded dwarves to their beds and then hauling them food/water just before they die of starvation, unless the Carer gets distracted by a shiny object or sock.

MAybe have a bone-mender workshop which works something like butchers and tanning workshops seem to for their basic tasks? So you don't have to manually queue "Look After Bleedy McSquished" jobs but they queue up themselves at the bonemender workshops whenever the game deems the bedridden need looking after, and relevant Health Care enabled Dwarves will go sort out the patients when they can be bothered.

The Health Care skill could be  proper skill then, with higher ranks giving a hgher chance of healing nasty wounds.

Not sure it would be a great improvement, thinking about it, but I know I would be more reassured that they will do something if I can build a workshop and see the jobs queuing and being done, rather than hoping the random onlookers bursting into my Mayor's bedroom are going to do somehting useful like mop up the blood and tell him everythings going to be fine, rather than steal his socks.  :(

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »

What if beds could be assigned as hospitals as well as barracks? That's a natural and non-intrusive extension, and coupled with the above suggestion about "health care" would probably work excellent.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Mikademus ]

You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Squeegy:
<STRONG>

But them going insane?

Also, to your signature: It's actually just a !!cage!!.</STRONG>

All my woundeds die because noones even carrying them to a bed.

about the !!cage!! - what's a cages symbol in DF? right, !! !
that makes a burning cage a !!!!!! (+ !! to emphasis :P)

Pages: [1] 2