Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: running Dwarf fortress on openmoko..  (Read 983 times)

sugacapra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
running Dwarf fortress on openmoko..
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:33:57 pm »

hi there,
i impact (literally) on this wonderful game searching for something similar to nethack for my openmoko..
i fell in love brutally with this dorfes.. you are totally burned :D
is possible to compile the linux version for the arm4v ?
i'll put the link to the info on the how to compile it..
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner#InstallingtheFSOapplicationsonyourdesktop

pleaaaase :D

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: running Dwarf fortress on openmoko..
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35:30 pm »

This should probably be moved to a questions thread...
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

sugacapra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:29:30 pm »

where can i put the question to be considered?
i know it's not an opens. game, but i think that compiling the exe under the arm4v processor is not so difficult to do.. :D
and i would really appreciate it, also i'll hope to help with gfx, i've little experience with small sprites. :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:38:16 pm »

I don't think there's ever going to be a Linux release, specifically because Toady doesn't want to let the game get out of hand by becoming open-source. As for running on an Arm4v processor... you mean running it on a mobile device? As in, with 512MHz CPU power and 128 Megs RAM at most? It's going to be one small slow fort...

Right now the mobile device of my dreams is a certain Sony UMPC that's slightly larger than a cigarette pack, with full keyboard and Vista Home Basic running on it. That could probably run a Nano-fort admirably, but any sort of megaproject would likely be impossible.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:39:31 pm »

As far as the sprites go:  There's a large community of people making sprites for the game.  I would check out the wiki to see what's available.

edit:  My phone already supports GoToMyPC... I occasionally remote my work PC on it.  No reason I can't remote my home PC :-D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 01:42:04 pm by Granite26 »

sugacapra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 05:51:49 pm »

I don't think there's ever going to be a Linux release, specifically because Toady doesn't want to let the game get out of hand by becoming open-source. As for running on an Arm4v processor... you mean running it on a mobile device? As in, with 512MHz CPU power and 128 Megs RAM at most? It's going to be one small slow fort..

at least for what my pc (with ubuntu 8.10) know there are already a linux version (the opengl/sdl one :D) and
it run very smoothly and fast...
also please don't fall in the false credence that linux program == all opensource.. is not true and many
other program exist on linux that are not oss.
For my openmoko (http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page) i need just that the people who compile
the exe for the linux version (for the x86 structure CPU) compile also for the arm4v CPU...
my moko is a dream of mobile device :D and the hardware i think is enough powered to let run a little
fort (also i hope :D)
i have 256Mb and the SD(HC) that i'm using offer 4gb of space.. (also i've a swap zone of another 128Mb)
really, i can play duke3d without any trouble, and some other complex game run smooth.
The dwarf fortress rock really, and having on the moko (max res 640x400) would be a real kick ass
on the moko run a normal debian (for arm4v) so, if it can run on a debian it can be made run on the moko.

Right now the mobile device of my dreams is a certain Sony UMPC that's slightly larger than a cigarette pack, with full keyboard and Vista Home Basic running on it. That could probably run a Nano-fort admirably, but any sort of megaproject would likely be impossible.
:-D "de gustibus non disputandum est" say the olden wise latin-roman, my preferred flavor is not vista
related... :D but i've no problem on think that your dream is that :D hope you realize it asap.

@granite26: thanks, i see the sprite and first of diving into sprite making i'll love to play a lot with the
DF actual gfx (that is soooo lovely, think that i'm an "old" player, as 36 years old guy that use first the bbs as
syson on the late 80's i love the ansi gfx :DD but also having little dwarf running like mad on the screen
is fun :D very fun)

thanks anyway to you all, the answer are so fast that surprise me :D