Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Skill Development: A Gamey Incentive to DO Something  (Read 655 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been playing a lot of Stone Soup, and one thing struck me about it's experience system:  In order to train skills, you needed to have actually DONE something.  (in it's case, kill monsters).

Now, in DF, we've got (IMHO) 3 types of players:
1: Skill train by swimming, sneaking, wrestling skeletal rabbits before heading out.  These trainers spend hours NOT playing the game in order to create a survivable PC. 

2: Use Non-Standard races:  Alternately, players tend to create powerful PC classes to adventure with.

3: Finally, players who do neither of these things, tend to have trouble getting started, and die a lot.  (I fall into this category).

The possibility for #1 breaks a few major bits of conventional GAME wisdom.  In a game, you shouldn't be able to take low risk actions to develop great skills.  (This also touches on fort mode military training).  If you CAN train up a character to legendary throwing, swimming, sneaking, and wrestling with no risk, why force the player to go through it every time?  It's a significant time investment of no-fun and no-difficulty grind.

The question is, how to resolve this?  Current (bad) possibilities are:

• Starting Characters with max skills in those areas
  • Reducing advantages of easily trainable skills (swimming and sneaking don't add stats)
  • Implimenting XP system (Must accomplish something to train skills)
  • Forcing skills to be trained in dangerous situations (sneaking in a friendly town)
  • Forcing skill training to be effective (no choking undead)

Unfortunately, these are all rather gamey solutions to the problem.  (Real life really does reward you for spending 6 hours a day at the gym before going rock climbing)

Any thoughts on other solutions?  I know that there's a future goal to give different power levels things to do, that'll help.

TL/DR  : Training adventure mode characters either shouldn't be so tedious or shouldn't be so effective

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Skill Development: A Gamey Incentive to DO Something
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:21:34 am »

It becomes progress quest if you cut out all the grind :D
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:43:00 am »

For some reason it seems adventure mode is a lot harder than fortress mode combat in general. And I'm not talking about champions, even a novice NPC with a wooden shield and leather armor at most seems to survive easier than my adventurers do

I don't think removing stat gain from sneaking and swimming would help much

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 10:49:58 am »

For some reason it seems adventure mode is a lot harder than fortress mode combat in general. And I'm not talking about champions, even a novice NPC with a wooden shield and leather armor at most seems to survive easier than my adventurers do

I don't think removing stat gain from sneaking and swimming would help much

That's a problem regardless...

I don't think combat is more dangerous in adventure mode, just more prevelant.  You tend to fight lot more things without a proper rest in Adventure mode