Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temples and Runepriests  (Read 1220 times)

Inconsiderable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Temples and Runepriests
« on: March 16, 2009, 08:14:57 am »

Hello.

I'd like to see some dwarven religion as gameplay mechanic. I saw that some dwarves have their gods in the profile, but I didnt notice any effects on gameplay. My idea would be:

Masons can build altars. Altar, once deployed, can be turned into a room (temple). You can pick which god the temple belongs to.
Any dwarf assigned to the altar (no limit) will start training his Faith skill until he becomes a Runepriest. Runepriests dont work, but walk around and bless your dwarves. A blessing makes the dwarf abit more happy and has a very low chance of converting the dwarf to the god of the runepriest. They also have side effects based on the god. The number of blessing / season is based on the size/wealth of the temple and the number of runepriests. Many runepriests and a small temple or few runepriests and a big temple will both get you a decent amount of blessings.

Unlike the common dorf, nobles will go and ask for blessings every now and then. If the runepriest in question is out of blessings for this season, he will be put into jail for "refusing to bless a noble". Which in turn makes all followeres of his god unhappy.

At some point (100+ dorfs) a new noble will show up; the Inquisitor. Later on he will become High Inquisitor. His requirements include a temple. He will not make mandates, but walk around and declare dwarves who do not have a god picked yet as heretics -- if he is not kept happy. The more unhappy he is, the less he cares if they have picked a god or not. Innocence proves nothing. Dwarves marked as heretic will be considered hostile and attacked by any dwarves who is a follower of a god. Maybe the player can decide if this is considered a crime and guards will step in or not.

The side effects of the different gods.. I use two as example. First we take the common dwarven god of craftsmanship, booze and kicking elven bottom (or shin). His blessings have a chance to heal permanent injury. If this happens the dwarf is instantly converted. The second one is the god of war/death (arm_ok?). His blessings reduce penalties for the loss of a family member and maybe grant some small increase to combat prowess.

The low magic approach would fit into dwarf fortress, imo. And players still have the choice of building temples or not; worst thing is that you need to lock your high inquisitor away and I heard such dorfs tend to fall down pits alot.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temples and Runepriests
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:24:37 am »

Priests' level of faith should probably matter no matter how it ends up working. Paying lip service probably doesn't get you much

I don't much care for sudden conversion of dwarves that already worship something

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:01 am »

There has been a number of threads about religion, priests, blessings and runes. That said, your post sums up a nice suggestion, but one that would have been better attached to an existing thread to take advantage of existing discussion.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:48 am »

At some point (100+ dorfs) a new noble will show up; the Inquisitor. Later on he will become High Inquisitor. His requirements include a temple. He will not make mandates, but walk around and declare dwarves who do not have a god picked yet as heretics -- if he is not kept happy. The more unhappy he is, the less he cares if they have picked a god or not. Innocence proves nothing. Dwarves marked as heretic will be considered hostile and attacked by any dwarves who is a follower of a god. Maybe the player can decide if this is considered a crime and guards will step in or not.
No. Just no. NO.

The rest of the idea is good though, and could probably give the philosopher a new meaning.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

AmzRigh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:38:43 pm »

Additionally, perhaps the construction of altars/temples would be that particularly devout dwarves would undertake themselves, without the command from the player.  Or, perhaps, that the dwarves could petition the leader to have constructed.

Inconsiderable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 04:26:56 pm »

There has been a number of threads about religion, priests, blessings and runes. That said, your post sums up a nice suggestion, but one that would have been better attached to an existing thread to take advantage of existing discussion.

Sorry, I looked back several pages and there was none.

No. Just no. NO.

? :(

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 05:27:16 pm »

Sorry, I looked back several pages and there was none.

I wouldn't worry about it.  It's just that in this particular thread, we tend to encourage necro of older threads rather than new ones.  This is due to the fact that when a topic comes up again, the same discussions usually involve a good deal of retread.  The important thing is that you looked. ;)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:33:20 am »

No. Just no. NO.
Must...not...make...40K...reference...

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 07:38:53 am »

While I am not against Inquisitors existing... we shouldn't go out of our way to instill religious intollerance so quickly especially for the pantheistic religions. (Who do sometimes fight eachother)

Plenty of Civilisations existed with more then one religion without getting into religious wars. Also... Plenty of Civilisations existed with more then one religion without killing the other religions being a big deal.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 09:01:35 am »

Before we start giving deities the power to influence the world, lets start with the more 'realistic' effects:

-Artifacts may be added to altars, the same way weapons are added to weapons traps.

-A priest will occasionally hold a sermon in the temple, functionally similar to a party(but much, much, shorter). Dwarves attending the sermon will gain happy thoughts, proportional to how sad they were before the sermon(This simulates religion giving its worshipers hope in a crisis). The quality of the temple is also a factor.

-The more religious/unhappy dwarves may go to the altar to pray by themselves if there is no sermon ongoing.

-For some of the bloodier religions, the sermon may involve the sacrifice of a designated animal. Reserving an animal for sacrifice will be done the same way animals are designated to be butchered, except that the animal is only slaughtered during the sermon. Only one animal can be killed per sermon, so it is possible to have multiple animals designated as a 'waiting list'.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:03:43 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 11:46:41 am »

No. Just no. NO.
? :(
I was against the whole Inquisitor idea. The others where okay though.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.