Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: New OSS project: Jetblade [Was: Procedurally-generated caves]  (Read 27935 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally-generated caves
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

I've been spending more time looking for a job lately, and thus less time working on this. However, since it's clear that once I get a job, I'll have even less time for this project, I've been working on cleaning up the codebase in preparation for making it an open-source project. I spent a great deal of time writing Doxygen documentation for everything, and then even more time working on refactoring the Player class to split out the collision-detection and terrain-following logic in it into more sensible locations. Right now all that remains to be done before I can find a project website is finishing up some work on the map feature I'd been working on before all this started: environmental effects. Specifically, in this case, water.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 03:57:35 pm »

Derakon, you are a god among men.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2009, 12:25:22 am »

Okay! The Jetblade project site is now online, so feel free to check it out! You'll need Mercurial to download the source code (Mercurial is a VCS like git, and very easy to use). There's Doxygen documentation for the project in the 'html' directory of the source, which should give you a starting point for figuring out how things are organized. I've also included all of the Blender files for the models I've made so far (minus the file for the terrain blocks, which is too big and needs to be split up).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2009, 10:57:40 am »

If this were being written in Java instead of python, I'd be on it like a rabid rheus... but i don't know python.

EDIT: You might should edit your OP.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2009, 10:59:06 am »

python, uh? It is 2.x version, right? Cause all I have in this computer is 2.6...

BTW, n00b at programming, me.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2009, 11:41:04 am »

SolarShado: yep, Python. It's not at all hard to learn; you should check it out. If nothing else, you'll be able to add another language to your résumé. :)

I'll update the first post now...

IndonesiaWarMinister: Yeah, it's using Python2.5. It occurs to me that maybe the shebang line should be updated (it currently assumes you have Python at /usr/local/bin/python2.5).

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New OSS project: Jetblade [Was: Procedurally-generated caves]
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2009, 12:03:13 pm »

Eh, so it's defaulting to Linux's My Document?
Damn...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2009, 12:27:30 pm »

Er, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by that.

If you have Python and PyGame installed, you should be able to run the game by doing "python jetblade.py".

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2009, 01:36:33 pm »

'K, I'll do it tomorrow then... I need to hoard ANY knowledge I can get!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2009, 06:15:32 pm »

I have a little experience with Python and may be interested in helping. That said, I have another project I'm working on that I really should have been done with sometime last year, so this may have to wait. Looks really cool, though. Installing Mercurial as we speak.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2009, 11:11:39 pm »

Just a quicky this time: I've added my first "explicit" jumping puzzle.

(In case it's hard to tell, there's water between the narrow vertical platforms)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2009, 11:17:36 am »

I saw the roadmap and thought "I might be able to do that".

My idea, having not viewed the source yet:
I believe I should be able to make a powerup system for mapgen.
The idea would be to add limits to the nodes saying if the player could get there with a certain set of powerups, then transfer the lowest access set to child nodes, maybe multiple sets allowed at once, if there are two acces routes of differing difficulty(though at first it should simply disallow connecting to differing requirement nodes).
Powerups cannot be placed in an area that requires their use to access.
One powerup of each major type should be generated, at least initially, and placed in an accesable node.
Also, I don't know if I know enough about python..

Edit:
Tried running, but it stops when it can't "import featuremanager", as featuremanager does not exist...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 11:28:31 am by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2009, 12:25:22 pm »

Oh, gorram it. I forgot to add featuremanager.py to the project when I created it. And of course it worked for me because the (non-added) class was still there in the directory. Sorry about that. Redownload the source and give it a shot, please?

As for your plans for powerup placement, they sound like the vague ideas I was toying with; basically, have levels of accessibility, with each level requiring a powerup found in a previous level to access. Level 0 is accessible from the start, level 1 requires a powerup in level 0, level 2 requires a powerup in level 0 or level 1, etc. The trick really is in enforcing the requirements by creating roadblocks; I haven't quite figured that part out yet.

Python's easy to read even if you don't know it specifically.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59:11 pm »

Well, I found that you can teleport up through the ground at a point like this:
Code: [Select]
##
/`
``
``
`#
(` is empty space)
It generated a platform that blocked entry to a tunnel, although it could be accessed by crawling off the blocking platform.

Multiple times it generated a one-way drep, fortunately giving another way around at those points. Once by putting a platform in the way of climbing up, the other as pictured.

It also completely blocked a passage with two platforms leaving barely a gap between them
Code: [Select]
---`|
````|
`---|

Eh?
Eh!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2009, 01:02:07 pm »

Please PM me when there's a playable version or you need someone to do some playtesting. I love metroid-vania games...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7