Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: New OSS project: Jetblade [Was: Procedurally-generated caves]  (Read 27942 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally-generated caves
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2009, 11:13:32 am »

I formally and humbly request that you change your avatar Dasleah. It is horrifying, and I don't know what it is.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 12:19:40 am »

I formally and humbly request that you change your avatar Dasleah. It is horrifying, and I don't know what it is.

Check out his thread.  :-[
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 12:47:23 am »

A few minor changes here. I've added two new kinds of tunnel (a staircase and a sinusoidal wave) and reworked junctions so they're easier on the generator. I then chopped the tunnel length down a bunch, which has the effect of greatly increasing map density, and made this monster:

(Click for large full-size map)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 01:19:57 am »

I really really like the look of this. I'd be interested to see the following in it:

- Z levels. I'm picturing quick, or extended, slopes.
- It already appears that you've got the ability to have different parts have different widths, etc. Would be cool to continue this over Z levels.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 01:26:12 am »

This is a side-on view, so I already have z-levels. :)

More seriously, while the program could be expanded to work in three dimensions, that's not really my goal, and displaying three-dimensional cave systems is not exactly straightforward.

Edit: that's not to say that three-dimensional caves generated by a similar algorithm wouldn't be cool. It's just that all of my code assumes only two dimensions (e.g. when inspecting the map for creating mazes, staircases, platforms, and the like) and it'd all need to be rewritten to take advantage of the third dimension. Not to mention that when you add the third dimension, it becomes possible (and even desirable) to have the map layer itself, with tunnels on top of other tunnels.

Maybe if I find myself with a surfeit of free time I'll see about making a modified version that does three dimensions. But I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:54:06 pm by Derakon »
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 09:12:17 pm »

Time for some scenery! Tunnels now are parts of larger zones which dictate which "flavors" they can use. At the moment I only have two zone types (jungle and hotzone) and three flavors. These images show what the tiles look like at in-game scale (50x50 pixels per tile):

And this is a downscaled map using the three:

(Click for full-size, which is still only 20% of the real full-size map)

I figure once I get all of the art done for the game, I'll make a nice big map and send it off to a printer to get a poster made. :)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 09:19:14 pm »

I'm getting more and more excited about this Derakon! I want to be an Alpha tester when it finally reaches that stage!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 09:34:59 pm »

Ooh so do I. This looks awesome.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2009, 10:33:42 pm »

very cool, i've never tried anything remotely like it myself. i've make a text based RPG, that's about it.

and plz add me to the alpha/beta testers list!
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 11:22:28 pm »

I'm glad everyone's enthusiastic about this! It's a big help to my own enthusiasm. :)

Unfortunately, I'm a long, long way from anything playable yet. The maps are still very boring things -- no enemies, no items, no purpose, and of course, no interesting room designs. Still, progress is being made.

I spent the better part of the last week without Internet (if your aerial cable connection ever physically breaks, do yourself a favor and get your own cherrypicker, since Comcast apparently can't supply their own in a reasonable timeframe). I spent most of that time working on implementing the basic animations and physics needed for the player to be able to run around in the caves, while taking a short detour to add some very rudimentary support for background props.

The latter is demonstrated in this image:

There's lots of work to be done there, but I've made a start.

And the former is demonstrated in this 4MB animated GIF.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2009, 03:54:02 pm »

Oh my goodness, those trees are utterly gorgeous!  This looks incredible!  I'm getting the same feeling from these landscapes that I got from seeing Lemmings for the first time (that is a good thing).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2009, 04:02:17 pm »

Impressive.

I look forward to this.

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 04:08:51 pm »

I've been following this for a while, and I must say, I'm quite impressed!
The concept reminds me of Spelunky, in a way, but it looks cooler.

I really like how it places the platforms, quite clever.
Fefeshnelmargalip

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 04:14:55 pm »

I must say, this is simply amazing.
Whenever you do make a game with this, I would like to try it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 04:55:14 pm »

The trees were made with Gen3, a tree generator for Blender. I threw together a simple bark texture and used the same texture for the leaves that I'm using for the grass (which texture came from the Blender Materials Database).

Basically, any time I want to do something complicated, I look to see if someone else has done it before and released their work to the general public. Things go a lot more smoothly that way. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7