Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to get fishies?  (Read 3238 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get fishies?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 12:32:00 am »

No, I don't think they can be turned hostile.
Vote for training beasts?
Search in the Eternal Polls.

Congratulation, Billy the Tamed Elephant, became the Elephant of Yester Builds, the only way to keep him from eating his masters, is to use a chain and a kobold ranger; kobolds are racially acceptable, compared to elves.

Oh, and can someone post the code for the zombie, and skeleton variations, and yes, zombie carp.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:41:13 am by Foa »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 03:22:46 pm »

Add the trainable tag to your fish so you can have war carp; that should solve the hostility problem (at least for invaders).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Do Elves, humans, or dwarves trade fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 07:18:36 pm »

You can smelt their meat or leather, or bones... no live fish.
Waitaminute . . .

Can you tell me the exact reactant and product entries for turning, say, giant tortoise leather into a giant tortoise shell, assuming [CREATURE:TORTOISE_GIANT] and that it is not a vermin?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 07:58:23 pm »

You could probably use dwarf companion to convert generated vermin into the real thing.  You just have to save and reload your fort to make drastic physical changes take effect.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 07:29:18 am »

Waitaminute . . .

Can you tell me the exact reactant and product entries for turning, say, giant tortoise leather into a giant tortoise shell, assuming [CREATURE:TORTOISE_GIANT] and that it is not a vermin?
Well, when I create an embark profile with horse leather it shows as [ITEM:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:LEATHER:HORSE], so [REAGENT:1:SKIN_TANNED:NO_SUBTYPE:LEATHER:TORTOISE_GIANT] is a safe bet. SHELL occurs as both item and material tokens, so I'd guess [PRODUCT:100:1:SHELL:NO_SUBTYPE:SHELL:TORTOISE_GIANT]. Try it and check the errorlog.txt on compile? Also, if you make a reaction that takes stone, even stone you don't have on the map, you can view the reaction details from [z] stocks, stone, and the stone type.

EDIT: Given that PET and VERMIN both appear in the item tokens, I'm guessing a [PRODUCT:100:1:VERMIN:NO_SUBTYPE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT:NO_SUBTYPE] reaction would produce wild vermin.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:41:07 am by Darekun »
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 07:43:30 am »

You could probably use dwarf companion to convert generated vermin into the real thing.  You just have to save and reload your fort to make drastic physical changes take effect.
i know you can use dfcompanion to (un)tame creatures.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 02:36:34 pm »

I just tested this with GCS.  I deconstructed the smelter manually instead of using a cave-in.  Sadly, the result was a vermin-type GCS.  It produced webs and it was tame, but that's about it.

This is what I put in the raws for the product:

[PRODUCT:100:1:PET:NO_SUBTYPE:SPIDER_CAVE_GIANT:NO_SUBTYPE]

Hang on a second... you created Pygmy Giant Cave Spiders?  And they still spin valuable webs?  By Armok's Beard, that is a license to print socks!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 03:53:29 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smelt

There.  All you need to know about smelt fish.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

yinyang107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 05:58:35 pm »

There's something to be said about a game where people are having a straight-faced discussion about smelting fish and the logistical problems that come with that.

I am sigging this.
There's something to be said about a game where people are having a straight-faced discussion about smelting fish and the logistical problems that come with that.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 04:33:00 pm »

I just tested a smelter recipe that produces tame fairies, and discovered that you don't need to deconstruct the smelter. At all. When the vermin is inside the smelter, it's in the same way they're inside the farmer's workshop after milking; just assign them to a cage and one of your dwarves will move it.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.
Pages: 1 [2]