Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: I proved MythBusters wrong. + Guns, I guess.  (Read 22367 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
I proved MythBusters wrong. + Guns, I guess.
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:01:36 pm »

Remember that episode of MythBusters, where they jammed things in a shotgun barrel, to see what it took to break the thing?  Remember how dirt just flew out the end, and they had to weld a steel plug into the barrel to get the slightest mushroom?

Remember that picture of me with a shotgun?  Well, me and my dad went out target shooting with weekend, and look what we did...

Spoiler: Without Even Trying (click to show/hide)

That's the end of the barrel, and the shot-choke that fell out.  It's a perfectly ordinary, modern construction shotgun, firing target shot (the smallest charge you can get), with no more than a few ounces of dirt in the barrel.  Blamo.

For the curious, everything is fine.  No injuries, and the gun works normally with that end of the barrel cut off.  It's just three inches shorter.

Which makes it ten times cooler, as it's now literally a sawed-off shotgun.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:57:28 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: I proved MythBusters wrong.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:27:37 pm »

Hmm... Do you remember what kind of shotgun they used on Mythbusters? They could of got a very durable model.

On the other hand it could of been a faulty barrel... But who knows.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:50 pm »

Mind you while the Mythbusters try their best to replicate the conditions of these myths, they needs to do a lot of generalizations to ensure that the largest target area is reached. They can't test every shotgun with every type of obstruction.

What, lemmie search up the gun they used on the episode...

Edit: Initial search shows the myth was a human finger would cause that.
 Edit2: More searches reveals that one type they used was a "19th-century double-barreled shotgun" with Damascus wielding. So, are you talking about the original episode or the myths redux episode?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 08:45:10 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:39:14 pm »

The mythbuster are wrong often, I'd assume. Especially when they test one-in-a-billion type things.

Their disproving of the Tesla Earthquake machine comes to mind especially.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:45:53 am »

I like the mythbusters, but some of their "experiments" are just plain bad and don't represent what they are trying to prove/disprove very well.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 07:55:43 am »

I heard some handwaving on their side. They claim that you don't see all the tests they do on TV. They do every experiment multiple times too. But I seriously doubt that. Surely they could show clips from those extra tests.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:27:00 am »

You didn't saw it below 18", right?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:30:30 am »

What?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 08:34:06 am »

The shotgun barrel.  It's pretty bad juju.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »

For the record, I do approve of the MythBusters' process.  While they try to follow verifiable method, they don't claim to be real scientists.  As for thoroughness, the figure I heard was, just what they catch on film amounts to 40-50 hours of work for every 42 minute episode that goes to air

But all the work is still right there in front of you.  I tend to hear criticisms of their results as "they didn't get the result I expected, they must be doing it wrong".

The Tesla Earthquake machine is another matter.  It didn't work, because it can't work, and it never did work.  The only person who can vouch for most of Tesla's claims was himself, and he was an egomaniacal nutcase.

Re: the shotgun, I didn't think to measure it, but I'm pretty sure it's still more than 18 inches.  I think it was about 21 to begin with, and we cut off about 2-3.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 03:46:22 pm »

Didn't the Mythbusters use a brand new shotgun? Your shotgun is very used. Not as durable. They DID get a result that could lead to this, but the barrel held strong.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 04:24:58 pm »

Didn't the Mythbusters use a brand new shotgun? Your shotgun is very used. Not as durable. They DID get a result that could lead to this, but the barrel held strong.

If they did use a new one and yours is pretty old, this'd be very possible. I wouldn't be surprised if those things experience quite a bit of strain hardening, and if they do, they're bound to go "pop" if you put too much force on it. A brand new barrle hasn't had any strain hardning and so it can handle much larger amounts of force before it goes "pop" (Or to put it more technicaly, it can handle a much larger elastic deformation before it gets plasticly deformed, better known as bending or breaking)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 06:58:16 pm »

My point in regards to Tesla was that you can't do enough tests to try to find the natural resonance point for the world. Mind you, if you did, that'd be pretty scarry.

Goes off to poke ground.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 08:30:58 pm »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »

Mythbusters are at their greatest when they're blowing shit sky high. They should really make that the whole show.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6