Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: show us your embarks!  (Read 2188 times)

Zink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
show us your embarks!
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:36:13 am »

no, not the magma pipe/flux/sand/HFS/supermagicfuntime embark site, but your points expenditure!  everyone has a different style of play, so show us what dorfs you bring and how you equip them!
Dwarfs:
1. Miner/Engraver 5/5- I usually do my initial mining in waves, so having something good for the miners to do is very useful.
2. Miner/Craftsdwarf 5/5- Same as above: he can get several levels in crafting before immigrants, so a new guy can take over mining.
3. Woodworker/Carpenter 5/5- the woodman.  Sometimes he is also a ash/potash producer.
4. Grower/Cook 5/5- gotta have thems food.
5. Grower/Brewer 5/5- booze booze booze.
6. Mason/Mechanic 5/5- as with mining, my intial need for these jobs comes in alternate times.  Mostly the mechanic job is so he can skill up and crank out high-quality mechanisms.  When migrants arrive I build another of each workshop, so I have essentially two of each job.
7. Nobledude- random social skills and appraise- the trader/leader/broker/etc.  Spends all his time updating the records.  I often transition him to pumpimg when he's maxed out for even more attribute power.  They tend to die soon after :(

Items:
I ditch the anvil nowadays.  I generally don't want to spend time on metalwork before the first migrant wave.  My miners have more important things to do.  I usually bring a couple kinds of booze, plump helmets and seeds, 2 dogs, wood, tools, and as many bags as possible- they can be hard to make on-site at first, which can lead to bottlenecks in glassmaking.  I prioritize raw materials or stuff that's hard to make AND will be needed early on.

show off your setups!

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: show us your embarks!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:28:34 am »

There's been such a thread couple of pages ago, but whatever:

1. Miner/Engraver 5/5 - some initial wealth/mining to fetch me some migrants soon. Also for the happiness a smoothed dining room brings. Later full time miner.
2. Miner/Stonecrafter 5/5 - trade goods, mining.
3. Woodcutter/Herbalist 5/5 - does the outside tasks. Herbalism gives me extra cooking indegrients.
4. Grower/Thresher/Weaver/Clothesmaker 5/1/2/2 - get bags for quarry bush leaves or sand, and some point allocation, because this dwarf is full time grower otherwise.
5. Carpenter/Cook 5/5 - prepared meals fetch extra much for caravans, woodworker otherwise, later drops carpentry.
6. Brewer/Architect/Judge of Intent/Appraiser/Organizer/Bookkeeper 5/1/1/1/1/1 - At the beginning, brewing isn't that time intensive, and later, someone else does the leader jobs. Fort brewer.
7. Mason/Mechanic 5/5 - all matters stone and later the fort's mason, since my masons don't tend to be that busy.

Items: Sometimes I ditch the anvil for hordes of pets, or I keep it. Generally lots (9 or 16) of seeds, including plump helmet spawn, sometimes rock nuts, sweet pod seeds, dimple cup seeds, pig tails seeds. Perhaps also cave wheat, although I tend to do otherwise. A breeding pair of dogs usually, for all the useful goods. One of each 2-points-meat or fish for barrels and food, extra turtles. At least 16 of each booze.

My planter tends to be very busy.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:35:06 am »

I never play the same style twice, but this is my most recent one, (which turned out to be a big mistake due to the lack of plentiful soil levels and lack of water):

1.Stonecrafting(2),Bone carving(2),Gem Cutting(2), Gem Setting(2), Engraver(2)-Acts as a generic fortress value increase, one of my two miners-in-training.

2.Weaponsmith(2),Metalcrafter(2),Furnace Operator(2),Armorsmith(2),Engraver(2)-My metalworker, the second miner-in-training.

3.Carpenter(5),Axedwarf(2),Woodcutter(3)-Does all the lumber related stuff, tends to stumble onto and kill thieves while going out.

4.Grower(5),Cook(2),Brewer(2),Thresher(1)-My generic food maker.

5.Herbalist(5),Fisherdwarf(2),Fish Cleaner(2),Grower(1)-Does my outdoor gathering and gets fish for my fortress, but due to a lack of water, was converted into a spare farmer.

6.Mason(5),Leader Skills(5)-My masons are always ridiculously busy, so I give them the leader skills to allow them more time to make me stone stuff.

7.Mechanic(5),Architect(2),Glassmaker(2),Potash Maker(1)-Gets all the toher things I think I'll need. I have yet to find the sand I was promised, so... pretty useless right now.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Silfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37:59 am »

My most recent embark was this:

1. Miner/Bone Carver/Judge of Intent/Appraiser/Organizer/Negotiator 5/1/1/1/1/1. My expedition leader. He's usually my first legendary miner, so he's the guy for all the ore. He also does the trading and negotiating, and the organizing until I get someone else to do it, and in the leftover time he produces training bolts.
2. Miner/Stone Crafter/Record Keeper 5/4/1. Mines, especially in the beginning, and then starts his stonecrafting business, which he will interrupt for occasional record keeping only early on, on medium precision. Later I get a dedicated Record Keeper.
3. Weaponsmith/Carpenter/Woodcutter 5/4/1. Immediately on startup he starts chopping trees. When his workshop space is mined out, he starts making beds and barrels until he runs out of wood, chops more, etc. Once I have a dedicated metal industry, he'll also produce my weapons, unless I get a legendary weaponsmith from a mood, and an immigrant carpenter will take over.
4. Armorsmith/Grower/Fish Cleaner 5/4/1. Doesn't have much to do early on; he'll build my farm plots and haul wood to the wood stockpiles near the fortress digging site, and then clean fish from my fisherdwarf. Much later his growing and fish cleaning duties will get delegated to a several immigrants and he'll work at this main trade of armoring.
5. Grower/Brewer/Cook 4/4/2. My main farmer. He'll be my best planter later, as well as my best brewer. Cooking is left at a low level because an immigrant will take that over later anyway.
6. Mason/Herbalist/Building Designer/Animal Trainer 5/3/1/1. In the beginning, he will gather as much as he can and train my two war dogs. Then he'll start churning out furniture and never, ever stop. Except for the rare building assignments of course. Training immigrants in herbalism is very easy, and some Animal Trainer dude will show up.
7. Siege Engineer/Fisherdwarf/Mechanic 5/3/2. Fish, make mechanics, fish, make mechanics. Much later he will make my siege engines as his main job.

The Orange Mage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 12:04:45 pm »

Miner/Gem Setter/Gem Cutter/Judge of Intent/Appraiser/Negotiator
Miner/Mechanic
Mason/Building Designer
Carpenter/Woodcutter (If a low-tree biome, I just import wood and shave some woodcutting for combat skills)
Grower/Cook/Brewer (cook one higher than the other two)
Grower/Cook/Brewer (brewing one higher yada yada)
Furnace Operator/Weaponsmith/Armorsmith/Metalcrafter

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 12:39:25 pm »

Miner (My miner has enough to do that I generally DON'T give him subjobs. When I need him to have something else to do I give him Masonry and set him to building constructions.

Mason (Mason/Engraver) The busiest dwarf of all, because I have a LOT of construction going on most of the time.

Carpenter (Carpenter/Woodcutter) Also fairly busy. Later on he gives up woodcutting in exchange for bowmaking and does mostly full-time wood labor.

Crafter (Stone/Wood/Bonecarver) My main source of income for the first year or so. Once I get things moved indoors, I build him a shop and let him go.

Planter (Grower/Brewer) I need booze and plants. Until I get farming going, he generally does Plant Gathering and odd jobs.

Clerk (A tiny bit of organizing and bookkeeping skill, as well as Appraiser) Tends to do a lot of hauling. I also hand him a spare pick to help tunnel out the fort. I like to try to keep the Bookie/Manager/Broker seperate from the Leader/Mayor slot, though.)

Mechanic (Building Designer/Mechanic) Very important man. I don't generally have enough dwarves to divert any to military duty until a couple of immigration waves come in, so strategically-placed traps are my major form of fortress defense from the incidental attacks and ambushes that come up before then.

This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

SnorriMabdugkosak

• Bay Watcher
  • Biban Deler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 01:14:17 pm »

I always spend the first time of the game completely sealed off from the outside world until the fort is finished, which can take a year or two, so I like to stock up on food and drink. I hardly do anything with wood (only in the beginning for barrels and beds) and if I need it later I'll buy it off caravans, so my embark is always this:

Miner/Mason 5/5
Miner/Carpenter 5/5
Miner/Mechanic 5/5
Miner/Fisherdwarf 5/5
Miner/Brewer/Fish cleaner 3/5/2
Miner/Cook/Butcher 3/5/2
Miner/Negotiator/Appraiser/Intimidator/Liar 2/2/2/2/2

1 kitten
7 copper picks
100 ale
100 rum
100 beer
100 wine
100 <2 point costing meat>
100 <different 2 point costing meat>

the remaining points I spend on wood.

I prefer giving other jobs to migrants instead of spending points in the beginning.

"Get rid of that wine, beer, rum, and all that damn human and elven brews... Ale! We shall live and thrive on ale and ale alone!!!"
-"Snorri Mabdugkosak" Uberdwarf, inspiring his dwarfs during the Beverage Cleansing in Rashgeshud, Ewéathira in 144.

"The problem of Elven children is best solved with strangulation."
-Kogsak Maggotkiller, adventurer.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 03:08:06 pm »

I try to pair up jobs to give my founders a more obscure, harder-to-raise second job after I get everything up and running. My usual skill loadout is something like this:

Miner 5/Siege Engineer 5.
Mason 5/Building Designer 5.
Carpenter 5/Weaponsmith 5.
Woodcutter 5/Armorsmith 5.
Fisherdwarf 5/Bowyer 5.
Grower 5/Mechanic 5.
Hunter 5/Ambusher 5.

I take a pick or two, 20 booze, and as many logs as I can get.

Stray Elvis (Tame)

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 08:29:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Explained:
all have wrestling cause they're tough like that  :P
-Leader has 1 armorsmith for moods, 5 architect cause that's what I see as the most leader-like skill in dwarven society, and social skills.
-Mason/Mechanic
-Miner/Stonecrafter for obsidian swords mostly
-4 carpenter and later full time weaponsmith (in hindsight this should have been siege engineer)
-Brewer and grower
-1 woodcutting, 2 butchery, 1 plant gathering, 4 leather working for designated outdoorsman/animal processor
-5 armorsmith, 4 metalworker looking to get that mood

Brodiggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 05:33:53 pm »

Here's my usual start. Of course some of this might be altered a bit depending on the site, a site with no sand/magma has no need for a glassmaker, for instance, and I'd change that out for Armorsmith. Each dwarf has the skills I buy listed, followed by the jobs I turn on as soon as I arrive, and let them learn via experience. Everyone mines, except for the woodcutter, until I have the basic squared away, then I usually trim it down to just whichever dwarves aren't busy (the mason, if there's an aquifer, the glassmaker if I can't reach magma easily, etc.)

Mason/Mechanic 5/5 (Gemcutting, Gemsetting, Stonecrafter added on arrival)
Glassmaker/Weaponsmith 5/5 (Blacksmith, Metalsmith, Armorsmith, added on arrival)
Herbalist/Axedwarf 5/5 (Woodcutter, Animal Care, Animal Trainer, Carpenter, added on arrival)
Grower/Clothier 5/5 (Asher added on arrival, this one has fewer jobs because he's going to be BUSY running the farms)
Brewer/Weaver 5/5 (Miller, Thresher, Dyer, added on arrival)
Cook/Leatherworker 5/5 (Butcher, Tanner, Bonecrafter on arrival)

And last an Expedition Leader/Broker with 10 social skills at 1, always including Appraiser, Judge of Intent, Organizer, Pacifier, and Consoler, and never including Record Keeper. The others I just choose to fit the Dwarfs personality traits. I leave out Record Keeper because it's so easy to skill up later. This dwarf also does all the scut work as my fortress' hauler/miner, until I get more immigrants.

I bring a pair of war dogs and a pair of cats, the war dogs have saved my ass several times on bad starts, and the cats are just too useful for killing off vermin.

For supplies I bring at least 10-20 of every underground seed, and a total of 101 or so units of booze (arranged according to dwarven preferences). I bring 1 of every 2 cost meat for the free barrels (of course), and 14 or so turtles (for the shells and bones).

I bring an anvil, 1 hematite or magnetite, 6 malachite, 6 Bituminous Coal, and 10+ Bauxite. As soon as I hit the ground, everyone except my herbalist temporarily gets Woodburning/Furnace Operating/Architect/Mason turned on, and while he gathers the local plant life they build 2 wood furnaces, 2 smelters, deconstruct the wagon, and build a metalsmith's forge, then burn two of the wagon logs into charcoal. Then two dwarves deconstruct the wood furnaces, two process coal into coke, and the other two build two more smelters. Once all four smelters are up, they each process one of the remaining coal into coke, then start smelting the hematite and malachite into iron and copper. After the first round of smelting, the Weaponsmith starts cranking out an iron axe and 6 copper picks.

It takes a second or two, but the instant rollout of heavy industry is just about as Dwarfey as you can get, and a set of picks and a steel battle axe would cost 420, where this costs 78 (24 for the Hematite, 36 for 6 Malachite, 18 for 6 Bituminous Coal)

Oh, and whatever points I have left go into cheap leather, more seeds, or more turtles.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:39:34 pm by Brodiggan »

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 02:12:46 am »

This is/was my usual setup, and I think you can see what two skills I'm loath to be without:
Miner/Armorsmith 5/5
Miner/Weaponsmith (OR Bowyer) 5/5
Mason/Armorsmith 5/5
Carpenter/Weaponsmith 5/5
Stonecrafter/Appraiser
Planting/Appraiser
Armorsmith/Weaponsmith

Really it's rather excessive because half the time these smiths don't even end up making a weapon or some armor before some migrant gets a mood and becomes legendary. Even if not, it's better to specialize them so that I get a highly skilled armor or weaponsmith sooner. It's also rather excessive because on a good map, there'd be plenty of magnetite to go around so why be so anal about having only proficient smiths work it?

Lately I've been going with 4 miners, and the miners are the only ones that embark with the smithing skills. If/when they get a chance to do some smithing, I shut off that dwarf's mining labor so they focus on that task. Othewise, my miners do nothing but dig. Mason goes Mechanic, Carpenter does Bowyer (wooden and bone crossbows for early defense), sometimes I'll have a leatherworker for early armor. I slot my migrants into about five different classes (engineer, furnaceworker, farmer, craftsdwarf. Lyemakers and other silly professions become either unskilled labor (including non-shop masonry) / haulers or military), but that's getting off-topic.

Oh yeah, supplies!: No anvil, enough picks for all the miners, 1 or 2 axes. A few different types of booze (~120 units total), ~20 dogs to be trained into war dogs, ~20 logs, bunch of bituminous coal (I'm not sure why), 30 seeds each of pig tail, plump helmet, cave wheat (or other brewable plant), and the rest of my points is spent on whole fish for their useful bones. I also bring ~2 silk thread and 2 plant-fiber thread for moods, but that's a half-measure to be sure.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:17:55 am by Stromko »

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 03:28:06 pm »

Miner 5/5 x3
'Slave' 0/0 x4

I keep my miners as my miners forever and everyone else that comes either does everything else, fishes, or gets drafted into the military.  =)

I should note that only miners, fishers, or people in the military ever specialize.  Everyone else are just generalists.

-P.C.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 01:08:53 pm »

This is my newest embark setup:

Dwarves:
Proficient Miner/Proficient Engraver
Skilled Grower/Competent Brewer/Competent Appraiser
Proficient Mason/Proficient Mechanic
Proficient Woodcutter/Competent Axedwarf/Novice Armor User/Novice Shield User
Proficient Carpenter/Proficient Mechanic

Items:
131+ Turtle (for bones and shells)
11 of every other 2-point meat
1 of a few 4-point meats (for surplus barrels)
30-50 plump helmet spawn
1 of every other seed (for bags)
3 copper picks
1 steel battle axe

Animals:
10 dogs
2 cats
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.