Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Steam engines  (Read 1992 times)

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Steam engines
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:05:51 pm »

Just the sound of it should make any true dwarf wiggle in excitement. These should be power generators built with a couple metal barrels and a couple mechanisms. They would require both a heat source (coal or magma) and at least 1 water tile to be built on, and provide 100 power or so.

If they are ever destroyed while in operation, they should also be spectacularly destructive.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Steam engines
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »

A classic, oft discussed topic, you can vote for it here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 04:30:34 am »

Steam engines do not fit the intended technology level/time period of Dwarf Fortress, and this topic has been rehashed many, many, many times.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:50:30 am »

How about you gain it for playing a fortress for 50 years or so? Or maybe only if you start your fortress after 1400ad?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:36:28 am »

A serious problem with steam engines etc. are the large-scale economic consequences (industrialization etc.).

Another good design reason to stop implementing technologies is to concentrate on a smaller amount of history, but do it thoroughly and consistently.

From a gampelay perspective, is allows for more creativity from the player's side to try to accomplish things, rather than just research the modern apparatus that does what they want to accomplish.

And last but not least: in a sparsely populated world with minimal transport facilities, the player's actions have at the same time much more impact locally, but much less globally: that allows for more diversity in gameplay.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 11:01:37 pm »

after 1400ad?

Funny, I didn't know Dwarf Fortress had Jesus or the Gregorian/Julian calendar system in it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

highholyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:23:36 pm »

If steam did more than fill up your screen, couldn't you technically create a steam engine on your own?

If I remember correctly as of the current version steam does little more than appear and then dissipate.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:30:58 am »

How about you gain it for playing a fortress for 50 years or so? Or maybe only if you start your fortress after 1400ad?

Just randomly unlocking technology for playing an arbitrary amount of time completely goes against the spirit of the game.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 12:46:28 am »

I have always wanted a research system..  And there was even a decent one laid out earlier that used small amounts of goods during the research process and was only marginally directed...  Seemed like a good idea. 
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:17:50 am »

Just randomly unlocking technology for playing an arbitrary amount of time completely goes against the spirit of the game.
* >>Mouth > Spew Blood > CariousWeltingFondness: B-B-B-BLOOD GEYSER!!! *

And tech levels are achieved by it's pursuit, not time.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 06:00:14 am »

If steam did more than fill up your screen, couldn't you technically create a steam engine on your own?

If I remember correctly as of the current version steam does little more than appear and then dissipate.
Do do this, wouldn't you require constructions & materials with various levels of movement & friction? Perhaps if things proceed to a point where waterwheels are accurately represented...
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:37 am »

I kinda agree with this.  Gasses should exert pressure

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:00:41 am »

Other popular suggestions you might care not to re-suggest:

> Electricity
> Cannons or guns
> Multithreading
> Tunneling
> Hitler*

When actually generating discussion these topics tend to lead to flame wars.

* Actually, Hitler isn't suggested very often, but it would be a flamey topic.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 10:18:44 am »

I don't believe that just mentioning Hitler starts a flamewar! That's just ridiculous!  >:(
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 10:19:28 am »

I don't believe that just mentioning Hitler starts a flamewar! That's just ridiculous!  >:(

No it's not, you big poopy head!!!
Pages: [1] 2