Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anvil Patronage  (Read 934 times)

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anvil Patronage
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

Considering that you need an anvil to make an anvil you should be able to trace the ancestry of anvils back to a strange mood or a gift from the gods at one point or another.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Anvil Patronage
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:07:00 pm »

Or just a way to make an anvil without an anvil. Say, from the smelter. Which is already possible, in a roundabout way, through reactions.

Tracing the family tree of an anvil is a nice idea though. Maybe also allow to see family trees of all the creatures you see, because they HAD to appear from somewhere.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »

It never made sense to me that you needed an anvil to make an anvil, considering they're made the same way that bars are.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

Aye, it would be more reasonable to be able to smelt an anvil from, say, three to five metal bars (have to be iron or better, though). Perhaps it need to be smoothed (engraving skill or simply put through a metalworks shop?) before use?
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:12:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:40:58 pm by penguinofhonor »

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

The First Anvil being a gift from the gods actually sounds like it could be a major part of dwarven mythology.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>The First Anvil being a gift from the gods actually sounds like it could be a major part of dwarven mythology.</STRONG>

Hence why I suggested it, and not the other obvious options everyone pointed out. (smelting) I've been trying to figure out some way of making dwarves start with nothing and work their way up. The only way to do that currently is to kill a few iron men, some treants (who are no longer in the game really), and have a strange mood create an anvil by changing another building into a forge. Technically that would make two anvils.  :cool:

Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.