Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rain types  (Read 1849 times)

Mystry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rain types
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:32:19 pm »

Differing rain types with different effects, I was thinking something along these lines:

A drizzle of rain, does nothing except make your dorfs hate being outside.
A light rain, creates 1 'depth' of water on every tile at the end of the 'rain' peroid.
A downpour, creates 2 'depths'
A torrential downpour, creates 3 'depths'

The whole point is to make flooding a very real possibility on rainy maps, and make you have to take steps to protect yourself against it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rain types
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:38:23 pm »

Well more realistically a Drizzle could have the effect of making things "Wet"

So while you won't get swept away... your armor could rust, your clothes will get moldy, and Fires will become just a bit harder to light.

Also, even objects that arn't waterproof are effective against Drizzles.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »

Depth of water should have more to do with duration and frequency of rain (not to mention drainage) rather than type of rain.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:04:43 pm »

Depth of water should have more to do with duration and frequency of rain (not to mention drainage) rather than type of rain.

Well, you do notice that some raindrops are heavier then others.

The lightest rain I know of is a Mist... I don't care HOW long that lasts... your not going to flood squat...

Though you are right LegoLord

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 05:07:12 pm »

I agree with this topic, but also agree with legolord.
It cant "flood" in a completely flat area, or on top of a moutain.

Also I believe that if it rains for a very long time in dwarf fortress then the area becomes frozen.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 05:30:18 pm »

The problem is that to create realistic rain effects, we need things like soil drainage, which, while calculated for regions, would have to be implemented on the local map and integrated into the flow system.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:35:35 pm »

The problem is that to create realistic rain effects, we need things like soil drainage, which, while calculated for regions, would have to be implemented on the local map and integrated into the flow system.

Could implement marshes and swamps while at it. Currently, they're identical to forests

Why do forests have a zillion ponds anyway?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:46:50 pm »

Swamps would even make sense if they were just mostly covered in something like variable-depth water (mostly 2/7-4/7), but I don't think there's really any way for the game to do that either yet.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 05:49:15 pm »

Could implement marshes and swamps while at it. Currently, they're identical to forests

I think those might actually be swamps to which you refer.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 06:02:49 pm »

I think that it doesn't matter, this game loves to give me ponds.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 07:08:31 pm »

Having a rainy season would be amusing when playing as dwarfs, little waterfalls down all your stairs and everything. Certainly a building challenge I would enjoy.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 07:48:07 pm »

I think those might actually be swamps to which you refer.

No, he's talking about actual swamps. They're a specific biome type, in real life and in DF.

A thirty-foot-wide pond is not a swamp. This is a swamp: http://www.greglasley.net/Images/Cypress%20Swamp%200004.jpg

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 07:50:28 pm »

Why doesnt rain make mud? It's real pain in the dwarven ass if I cant grow plants anywhere.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 07:56:50 pm »

Why doesnt rain make mud? It's real pain in the dwarven ass if I cant grow plants anywhere.

The fact that Water makes mud via magic as it is... is kinda... well... unrealistic.

So the fact that Rain doesn't turn Rock to mud is hardly a problem.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 08:08:42 pm »

If we got heavier rain that moves downhill in flows it would be nice to have that water simulate picking up sediment by causing it to spread mud.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2