Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bloat: Go stones  (Read 2602 times)

unclejam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bloat: Go stones
« on: November 06, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »

I think the dwarves should be able to make go stones as crafts and sell them.  Proof: http://www.algorithmicartisan.com/gostones/

They even suggest Malachite stones for $3000, would be a nice trade to the caravans   ;)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Bloat: Go stones
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:21:00 pm »

Wow, those are nice. Those would be nice. Somehow I doubt Go exists in the game setting, but maybe some kind of game pieces could be included. Maybe just "polished stones" that dwarves and humans would collect. If a dwarf really liked a certain kind of stone, I bet they'd collect polished pieces of it.

Could be made in the craftsdwarf's workshop. Though I guess idols are pretty close to this already.

Maybe it wouldn't be craftable, but a dwarf might pick up a pebble of their favorite stone and polish it for themselves, and just keep it in their pockets or something. Just to add flavor. This is assuming dwarves will get pockets.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »

Yeah, adding little games and pieces would be fun.  This is covered by the two "Tacticus" power goals -- that's our made up board game for power goals.  The hope is to have random rule sets and game items -- we can start with fixed examples and allow it to randomize them to the extent that it remains fun and workable.  The AI for computer players will be horrible for most of the permutations, but it should be able to look ahead a bit and do some evaluations for any game.  If it's doing more than moving randomly, that'll be enough for a while.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

Toady, you make my heart sing with joy.

So, anyone up for forming a tacticus club?  :p

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."

unclejam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, adding little games and pieces would be fun.  This is covered by the two "Tacticus" power goals -- that's our made up board game for power goals.  The hope is to have random rule sets and game items -- we can start with fixed examples and allow it to randomize them to the extent that it remains fun and workable.  The AI for computer players will be horrible for most of the permutations, but it should be able to look ahead a bit and do some evaluations for any game.  If it's doing more than moving randomly, that'll be enough for a while.</STRONG>

Jesus.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

I'm the chairman of the local Tacticus league as you can plainly see my title is emblazoned on my cap.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 01:40:00 am »

I dispute your authority sir, for my title is Tacticus Grand-master, as you can plainly see on my name tag.

Let us settle this like gentleman. I challenge you to a winner-take-all round of tacticus. Elephant to G19.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Turgid Bolk ]

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 02:54:00 am »

How can you have a game of Tacitus with fewer than four players? In any case, as last year's reigning World Cup of Tacitus champion I fear I must insist a place in this game.

I shall begin with a classic opening: Carps 2, 4, and 7 to the river.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

Rondol, if you're the reigning champion, why did you misspell it? ;-)
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Yeah, adding little games and pieces would be fun.  This is covered by the two "Tacticus" power goals -- that's our made up board game for power goals.  The hope is to have random rule sets and game items -- we can start with fixed examples and allow it to randomize them to the extent that it remains fun and workable.  The AI for computer players will be horrible for most of the permutations, but it should be able to look ahead a bit and do some evaluations for any game.  If it's doing more than moving randomly, that'll be enough for a while.</STRONG>

Awesome.  :D

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

Since I've been modding left, right and center for the last little while why not make go stones.

code:

[ITEM_TOY:GO_STONES]
[NAME:go stones]
[HARD_MAT]

Add this to the toys raw and you too can make go stones.

Now since we still need a fourth for Tacticus I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I'll be using my Helion set.

Engineers 1 and 3 deploy the catapult at IV 8

We've got elephants on the range boy's.
They bring out the big guns we'll bring out the bigger ones.

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »

Ah yes. Tacticus. Tell me, are we playing by the Hoary Realms of Baking rules or by the classic Pantshelm the Clockwork of Hamsters style?

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 12:44:00 am »

I think that aside from nobles, dwarves wouldn't be inclined towards board games, although I'm not in any way adamant about that thought. Go seems like the type of game the elves would be more inclined towards. Or maybe both dwarves and elves play go. Perhaps it's the real source of their ancient rivalry.
History Lesson:
Aerfin, an elven prince, won a game of Go against Durvad, a dwarven prince, in 541. The dwarves never forgave them. War broke out in 542 when elves discovered that the dwarves were making Go boards from wood instead of stone to spite them. The war ended in a shaky standstill and treatys were written in 544 to prevent further violence. Even to this day, tension remains between the races because of this issue, although both are too proud to admit it.

Come to think of it, I can actually see a war starting between the races over the argument of racial intelligence... dwarves and elves are just like that.

Also, if go stuff is added to the game, a craftsdwarf should be able to combine a set of stones, bowls for stones, and board into a go set (think of it as him carving them or putting designs on them to make a set), increasing the value somewhat. I don't know if you could make it so that several items are added together to produce an item that add each of their prices together, but it's an idea.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

It ought to be possible, I'm fairly sure that in the old version prepared meals used the values for each part, although they don't seem to currently.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>Rondol, if you're the reigning champion, why did you misspell it? ;-)</STRONG>

I didn't misspell it. In the Elven language the "T" is not used (too "dwarfenly"), and I was trained by the ancient Elven grandmaster and prince Aerfin, who lost only one game in his entire life. Of course that resulted in war. I think Sylver covered this, yes? Oh wait, that was the Go game. Well it's a little-known fact that they played tacitus ("tacticus") right after the Go game. Alcohol was involved in both games, and as we know Dwarves have an unfair advantage when it comes to alcohol, and thus Aerfin was far too inebriated by the time they got to tacticus to play well.

Anyways, back to our game, I'll respond to the catapults by casting Fell Mood on your Operator.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!
Pages: [1] 2