Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Making more rocks magma-safe  (Read 22615 times)

Soor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making more rocks magma-safe
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 07:09:50 am »

Limestone ash might also be used in the manufacture of the ever-coveted cement/concrete, which *would* be tech-appropriate, since the Romans were using it.

Why anyone would want *more* stone--which is what it would probably boil down to, in a mod anyway--I haven't the faintest idea, but it has merit for realism.
I can tell you what would make cement interesting: being able to pour it into molds to make non-constructed stuff.

Need a fortified wall, but worried about megabeasts? Build wood walls *around* where you want it to be (or simply dig it), designated a pond, have your dorfs pour in the sludge, wait a bit, deconstruct the scaffolding, and you have a custom-made meagbeast-safe wall.

Of course this is a) fairly involved and b) only really has a point when MBs become a little more threatening then they are now, but I think it would be pretty cool.

The only question is what workshop you would use to mix the cement.

Barag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 03:25:44 pm »

Limestone ash might also be used in the manufacture of the ever-coveted cement/concrete, which *would* be tech-appropriate, since the Romans were using it.

Why anyone would want *more* stone--which is what it would probably boil down to, in a mod anyway--I haven't the faintest idea, but it has merit for realism.

Where you watching the same Science/Discovery/History channel documentary as me?

Edit: WHERE WERE WEAR
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:41:56 pm by Barag »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 09:19:11 pm »

Yes.

...I live under your couch.
For they would be your masters.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes metal for its screaming guitars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 05:52:51 am »

I added a bunch of new data. No new magma-safe stones, I think.

Version 1.2 is now available.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2009, 08:21:38 am »

Just found out that quartzite should be magma-safe too and decided that was important enough to push out another release, even though I just released 1.2.

1.3 is out now. (For some reason DFFD insists on calling the file Molten_Rocks_2.3.zip. Just ignore the file name.)

Stakudomer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 11:49:36 pm »

I've found melting points for a few minerals that aren't in the latest release.

Cassiterite melts at 1125°C (12025°D). Source.

Sphalerite, according to wikipedia, is Zinc Sulfide and sublimates at 1185°C (12133°D). I suppose that would actually be a boiling point.

Cinnabar melts at 580°C (11044°D). Source: Wikipedia article on Mercury Sulfide

Jet appears to be a kind of oil-bearing petrified wood, which is often used as a gemstone. It sometimes contains trace amounts of pyrite, which can cause the jet to spontaneously combust when cut. Maybe it should ignite like coal and graphite?

And speaking of petrified wood, the normal variety seems to be made mostly of quartz. (Melting point: 1650°C, 12970°D) This leads to the highly amusing scenario of making your magma-safe mechanisms out of former trees.  ;D

Anyway, I'm down to Kimberlite in the raws, and may do some more searching later. I'll let you know if I find anything else.

EDIT: Bismuthinite melts at 760-775°C (11368°D). Sources are blurbs from a couple of scientific journals that show up in Google, but can't be viewed directly because the sites want outrageous amounts of money to look at them. Search "melting point of bismuthinite" and you'll find them.

Marcasite melts at 450°C (10810°D). Source

Hornblende: Melts at 1050°C (11890°D). Source

Microcline is odd because it doesn't go straight from solid to liquid at a particular temperature. A small percentage of it will turn liquid at about 1200°C, but it won't completely liquify until it gets to 1440°C (just over DF magma temperature). Still, a half-melted mechanism doesn't work any better than a fully-melted one, so I'd say that for our purposes, this stuff isn't magma-safe.

Obsidian melts at 1350°C (12430°D), so not magma-safe, just in case anyone was wondering.  ;D

Also, I find it funny that Toady put in a comment about Alunite being used to make fire retardent, but neglected to put in its obviously-safe-for-magma melting point.

So this means we're still missing:
Kimberlite
Puddingstone (isn't really a single mineral, but a mixture)
Jet (may ignite)
Cobaltite
Garnierite
Limonite (can't find actual numbers, but sources say melting point is relatively low)

...and several layer rocks that are probably not magma-safe.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 09:15:18 pm by Stakudomer »

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 05:34:41 am »

Thanks! I've uploaded version 1.4, which includes all the data you've found and a little more that I discovered myself.

Did you happen to have a source for microcline and obsidian? I'll include those in the RAW.

Sorry for taking so long to reply, by the way. Real life's been extremely hectic lately, so I haven't been checking this forum for a while. I won't be for the next two weeks either, as I'll be off camping, but I will keep an eye on this topic when I get back. :)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 03:53:33 pm »

Bumping to say that the boiling point of Sphalerite is incorrect: in the raws, it's said to be 1185°D, which is obviously a *bit* too low. It instafroze my miners, when I mined it. According to Stakudomer it should be 12025, but according to the Dwarf Temp Tool, it should be 12133.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Great Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 02:04:16 pm »

Thanks for spotting that mistake! I've fixed it and released it as 1.4.1.

Stakudomer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2009, 09:59:19 pm »

I can't find my original source for the microcline data, but I found a better one here. It states that microcline begins melting at 1,000°C and becomes completely liquid at 1,300°C.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the source for the obsidian data anymore. The best I can find is this, which seems to indicate that obsidian softens somewhere below 1145°C.

Bumping to say that the boiling point of Sphalerite is incorrect: in the raws, it's said to be 1185°D, which is obviously a *bit* too low. It instafroze my miners, when I mined it. According to Stakudomer it should be 12025, but according to the Dwarf Temp Tool, it should be 12133.

Rocks that instafreeze miners would be a fun thing to put in a mod.  ;D

But where did I say 12025° was the boiling point of Sphalerite? I think you're reading the number for Cassiterite.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 02:36:51 am »

fahrenheit - 3632
urist - 13600
celcius - 2000
kelvin - 7365.006

Kelvin gives the erroneous result.
Finis sanctificat media.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 02:00:17 pm »

i do not know if these are in yet, but

assuming gabbro = basalt then: Gabbro and Basalt melts at about 984° to 1260°

http://www.minsocam.org/MSA/collectors_corner/arc/tempmagmas.htm

also from there: granite at about 1215° to 1260°

also a link from the new thread in sugestions on this exact topic: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41971.0
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Sweedumz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 03:57:10 pm »

Hopping over from the suggestions thread I made. I think the discussion is best carried out here.

It seems the work here is pretty comprehensive. There's not a lot more to add. However, the mod is missing data on Gems. (Not sure how much use this will be to anyone though). But it's the least I can do after the work you guys have put in.

I check the list of wikipedia pages for melting point data. There's not a lot there, night nothing in fact, but here's the list of what was there if anyone's interested.

Citrine/Quartz/Rock Crystal/Amethyst   1650 (±75) °C
Ruby    2044 °C
Sapphire 2030–2050 °C

And finally, not from wikipedia, but danm, if Diamonds have been melting up to this point, it's now a major embarrassment.

Via minerals.net
Diamond has many unequaled qualities. It is the hardest known substance, it is the greatest conductor of heat, it has the highest melting point of any substance (7362° F - 4090° C)
Oh my goodness!!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »

And finally, not from wikipedia, but danm, if Diamonds have been melting up to this point, it's now a major embarrassment.

Via minerals.net
Diamond has many unequaled qualities. It is the hardest known substance, it is the greatest conductor of heat, it has the highest melting point of any substance (7362° F - 4090° C)
Oh my goodness!!
Don't forget two other facts about diamonds:
1. it decompose to graphite at 2000C in half an hour.
2. it slowly burns at 1000C while in the air.
Finis sanctificat media.

Sweedumz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 04:53:35 pm »

I see.

I was just reviewing the mod files. The melting point for Alunite appears to be wrong. The melting point given is that for Aluminium oxode. However, alunite is apparently (wait for it) hydrated aluminium potassium sulfate, KAl3(SO4)2(OH)6. I think the melting point for Alunite could be lower. A lot lower. Possibly less than 100. I don't have anythign concrete though, and I'm not a chemist.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5