Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Minotaur Civ. Any suggestions?  (Read 2532 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
A Minotaur Civ. Any suggestions?
« on: March 14, 2009, 03:11:51 am »

I'm planning to mod in a minotaur civ, when the new version gets here, and I have some ideas, but I'd like to gather more, if anyone has any suggestions.

So far:

They'll dwell along the edges of deserts.

They'll have caravans.

They'll be omnivorous, with a mostly plant diet, but a little meat. 

The males will be minotaur-humans (classic minotaur, with only a bull head), while the females will be minotaur-centaurs (upper body of a classic minotaur, lower body of a cow).

They'll be able to forge iron, or atleast bronze, and be skilled smiths and masons.

They might build labyrinths for defensive, and possibly also religious, purposes.

They'll raise cheetas as pets, and train them as hunting/warcheetas. They'll also be into falconry.

These guys are going to be a civ you don't want to get on the bad side of. Not big on numbers, but organized and powerful.

I want more cultural ideas though, if anyone has any thoughts.
For they would be your masters.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: A Minotaur Civ. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:15:24 am »

SirHoneybadger as much as i like you i have to tell you that this mostlikely belongs to the Mod forum ;) so please relocate the thread.

edit: Apart from that Iron cooper and Bronce are nice for a Mythological feeling and i suggest that they could get polearms like Helebards as mainweapons.

Sharpened horns Ritualistic-dyed and braided hair/fur would be nice.

edit2: Any ideas for the language yet?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:23:11 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:03:46 am »

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're right about that. Thanks Heph.

The reason I put it here is because it's not really about the creation of the mod, itself, but rather an exploration of culture. I was hoping we might get some good ideas/suggestions out of it, like with the New Races thread (rather than putting one in), but it *is*, centrically, a mod thread. I really don't mind moving it...

...How the hell do I move it, though?

Polearms are a good idea, especially for the women--who I'd like to participate in battle. I don't see them using ranged weapons much, and slings not at all, but atlatls are a real possibility, which would distinguish them from other advanced civs.

As far as language goes, I've got a (very) few ideas, but nothing concrete.

Horn modification sounds interesting.

Braiding, dying, and possibly the weaving of jewellery into the fur. Pattern shaving is another idea, as is cosmetic branding.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:16:22 am »

Ummmmmmm....

Nose rings as a wearable head item.

A cow-like god creature modded in as a [POWER].

Limited armor, but increased dam_block.

Limited clothes as well.

I just don't see minotaurs playing dress up with clothes and wearing full plate mail outfits.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:12 am »

The reason I put it here is because it's not really about the creation of the mod, itself, but rather an exploration of culture. I was hoping we might get some good ideas/suggestions out of it, like with the New Races thread (rather than putting one in), but it *is*, centrically, a mod thread. I really don't mind moving it...

Bottom left, I think.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:31:14 am »

If unarmed, you should have horned charges. How awesomly terryfing can it be to have a 2 metre cow charging you?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:09:11 am »

The females ( Mino-cowtaur?) schould get a blunt kick atack.

They also could get a female priest-caste. Since i think they are a outdoor race they will most likely have different weather and Plantgods as well a bunch for fertility and growth.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:28:21 am »

In war, the males ride on the back of their mates to battle ;). The female charges like a bull, the male uses lances like a knight.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 05:31:57 am »

Well, most female mammals are considerably smaller and weaker than their male counterparts.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:40:03 am »

Bottom left, I think.

Where, exactly? I don't see anything, and I'm notoriously bad at manipulating Forum-tools.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 05:50:47 am »

If you are in this thread (not under "modify"!) at the bottom of the page on the left side is a link which is labeled "move topic".

Proud to be a Furry.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 09:00:32 am »

limited coverage armour should be ok. Schynbalds, greaves, vambraces, spaulders & gorgets ... but that means modding in seperate armour pieces. Medieval horses were given armour, why not minotaurs?
Problem with horned charges is that you'll have children doing it too. Maybe if you make it their 'bite' equivalent attack?
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 05:21:20 am »

Minotaur lends itself to Babylonian flavour.

Ziggurats for everybody!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 05:51:55 am »

I like the idea of a minotaur civ simply because I like playing as them in adventure mode heh.

Add
Code: [Select]
[SHAPE:LABYRINTH]
[NAME:labyrinth:labyrinths]
[ADJ:confusing]
[ADJ:complex]
[ADJ:complicated]
[ADJ:ritual]
[TILE:'@']
Couldn't think of better adjectives.

Classic Labyrinth

Above is how I picture a labyrinth, @ seemed appropriate if you wondered why I picked it for the tile. You might want to use ╬ instead.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 06:19:56 am »

The males will be minotaur-humans (classic minotaur, with only a bull head), while the females will be minotaur-centaurs (upper body of a classic minotaur, lower body of a cow).

You mean... You can make the two genders different in appearance? That's just perfect for one of my personal mods. Can ya tell me how to do this, please? :)

Thanks!
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.
Pages: [1] 2