Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Interest in an "Capture the Artifact" Game? Faction Leaders Wanted!  (Read 6567 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, any of you know what an Alternate Reality Game is? Well, erm, if you don't, think of it as an online LARP. You roleplay your characters, like you normally would, and not at all reveal that there is, in fact, a game.

I actually did run an ARG once, and I am thinking of doing another one, but with a twist.

See, orignally, I was thinking of a game where factions fight over a island dictatorship. Communist-backed rebels, the American-backed military, a netrualistic dictatorship, etc. Each of the rebel groups claim to be fighting for truth and justice, but are really just fighting over the island because the island holds a secret weapon, Ice-9 (it's inspired by Vonnegut's little book, I believed it's called Cat's Cradle). Basically, the goal is to grab the secret weapon, take it to the extract point, and you win!

Or, in the case of the netrualistic dictatorship, make sure that they keep Ice-9, because then the dictator will be able to use it to blackmail the world and get tons of money.

So, it's like that Capture the Artifact game. Except, and this is the twist...

You run the factions. You don't run the actual people fighting.

See, I plan on contacting some people on a forum dedicated to ARGs. They are willing to play in ARGs and thus are okay with playing games similar to this. I then lay down the groundwork, allowing for them to do, well, whatever they want. No real hard and fast rules, any combat between the players are handled via RTD.

I will send each starting player an email address, allowing you to contact with that person and convince him to work with you. Each faction will start off with a small group of dedicated loyalists, altough once the game starts, they are free to join whatever side, so you have to keep your loyalty.

When talking to your peons, you have to remember to not break the fourth wall. Roleplay as if you are actually the leader of one of the factions. That you really want their help. That they need to liberate this Island, for the good of humanity.

Good idea or Bad Idea?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:10:34 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in an "Capture the Artifact" Game?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:58:19 pm »

I would like to play if I could just play a normal soldier, but Im sure lots of people will like it.

So I say its a good idea.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:59:34 pm »

Hm. If there is interest, I guess I could allow for Bay12ers to be normal soldiers. But you do have to roleplay when talking to non-Bay12ers who are playing the game.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:00:45 pm »

I am expressing interest in playing a normal soldier.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 10:04:01 pm »

I am expressing interest in playing a normal soldier.
Same here, so this is a real time game or something?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 10:10:13 pm »

After you talk to the factions, you tell me what you plan on doing. I'll then tell you if you succed or not. It's not really 'real time', though, but I do hope on sending in your orders quickly. Basically, if you send in orders, I'll send you back telling you if you are successful.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in an "Capture the Artifact" Game? Faction Leaders Wanted!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 10:12:08 pm »

oh ok, so then when does this start?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 10:13:38 pm »

Um.

We technically don't even have any faction leaders yet. That what I was hoping to get here.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 10:15:19 pm »

Alright, any of you know what an Alternate Reality Game is? Well, erm, if you don't, think of it as an online LARP. You roleplay your characters, like you normally would, and not at all reveal that there is, in fact, a game.
That's just an RP with a ban on OoC Chat.

Which I'm totally in favor of. And would be a leader for.

And it's not an ARG at all, man. XD An ARG means you're moving around in Meatspace to play.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:14:31 am »

Well, there are lots of online ARGs, and in the past, I recently hosted one. An Alternate Reality Game just have to present a "reality" that is different from our "reality", so it can be done online.

Anyway, Pandarsenic, you're in. If you can type up a profile of the faction you'll be running, primarly so I know who you'll roleplay as, that would be great. Hopefully, there will be other faction leaders signing up.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 01:37:24 pm »

I'll gladly join. Do you want faction profile here, or should I send it via PM?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 01:43:54 pm »

Hm. If there is interest, I guess I could allow for Bay12ers to be normal soldiers. But you do have to roleplay when talking to non-Bay12ers who are playing the game.

Wait, how would non-bay12ers being playing? EVERYONE is a Bay12er here, are we taking this to another forum altogether?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 02:55:10 pm »

Before I can type up a profile, I need to know the setting. D:

Also, I'm gone from the 15th to the 23rd, is that a problem?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 02:56:15 pm »

Also yes. How do profiles look?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 02:59:11 pm »

Wait, how would non-bay12ers being playing? EVERYONE is a Bay12er here, are we taking this to another forum altogether?

I will be emailing the non-Bay12ers, giving them an email address to contact one of the faction leaders. Most of the game will be played via email, but if you like to add more stuff (*cough coug* inaluct *cough cough*), well, why not?

Before I can type up a profile, I need to know the setting. D:

Cold War, the 1960's. Caribbeen.

I'll gladly join. Do you want faction profile here, or should I send it via PM?

Post them here so that the other Factions would know.

Also yes. How do profiles look?

Name of Faction:
Goal of Faction:
History of Faction:

I can't really think of anything other than that, at least for now. I'm really tired right now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4