Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcements  (Read 759 times)

GoGoCactusMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Announcements
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:32:00 am »

It might just be me, 'cause I'm new and panic at the fist sign of gobbos, but the announcements bug me when I'm trying to keep all my dwarves busy and want to keep an eye on the idle bar.  I was thinking it might be convenient to just add a quick keybinding that clears the current announcement.

It's really not that big a deal, currently I just mash 'a' and 'spacebar', just thinking it might come in handy.

ruther Atienif, Teenager withdrawls from society...
Gruther Atienif, Teenager has become peculiarly secretive...
Gruther Atienif, Teenager has claimed a bed!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcements
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

I think it'd be better actually if there was a key to advance through the announcements. Many announcements are multi-page now and the auto-pager is pretty slow. If you could just tap a key to advance through the current announcements without leaving the playscreen, that'd be pretty neat.

It's also been suggested in the past to simply always draw the count of idle dwarves, which would perforce shorten the space that announcements have to work with.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

I don't see why the Idlers bar should be invisible after an announcment anyway; lets move it somewhere else.
Showing more than a single line for very recent announcements would be nice too.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

I wouldn't mind having the window area extended downwards a bit to accommodate a few more message lines.  There's a lot of unused vertical space with DF right now.