Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do you build YOUR Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 9591 times)

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
How do you build YOUR Dwarf Fortress?
« on: March 13, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »

This is a discussion thread on different methods and opinions of.. Well.. Different fortress disigns.

Do you make a Castle?
Do you carve into a mountain?
Do you go straight down and seal your self from the world? (have tried)

I usually build a small defensive structure above where I'm going to dig directly down. I find that I can keep my defenses clean and neat. And also having the rest of my fortress perfectly alligned.

How do you build your fortress?

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you build YOUR Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:29:51 pm »

A castle, inside a mountain.

Like, living quaters inside, the population centers and all that (dining room, food and drink workshops, food storage areas) all that inside. And industry outside.

Don't know why...

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 05:36:21 pm »

All three :D

Take a look at my current AWESOME map, Ive got a small fortress inside at first, then I wokr on a MASSIVE castle outside, and to get matierals for that I'll bore down to the bottom, tunelling out a third fortress as I go :D
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:39:31 pm »

Generally I start a dwarven fortress within a crack in the mountain, my mind saying it's for defense purposes but my memory telling me I make a castle that renders it moot anyway. Then I proceed to attempt a system that puts the meeting hall and bedrooms somewhere in the middle of each mountain feature, with workshops around the features.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 05:47:37 pm »

I build above ground forts.

Either a collection of small individual buildings housing for everything the fort needs...

Or one gigantic glass tower.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 05:48:54 pm »

i have become obsessed with symmetry in my fortresses, i create nine 9x9 rooms arranged in a square with 1-wide walls in between. meeting areas/dining rooms/stairs/etc in the center square, workshops in the four compass directions, bedrooms in the corners (each square divided up into four rooms)

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:58:04 pm »

I always dug directly below myself (I rarely dig into cliff faces), so its usually an above/underground mix. It has to be, since my entrance is in the middle of nowhere.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 06:18:37 pm »

Deadly in all aspects.

xpCynic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 06:30:28 pm »

Usually I build on flat land, since digging into a cliff face isn't quite possible with new worldgen. Everything is centered around a central set of up/down stairs, and I usually try to put all the workshops close together and the bedrooms together somewhere else.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 06:49:20 pm »

I go straight down one Z-level from the embark. Next to the staircase is the trade depot. On the first Z level down: farms, kitchens, stockpiles. Next Z-level down is defenses. (insert winding maze). Next Z-level is dining rooms, bedrooms, and workshops.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 07:11:57 pm »

I generally dig into a cliff, and then build a structure (wouldn't call it a castle myself) around the entrance. Here's a 3Dwarf of my most recient fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The "1" marks the entrance covered by 3 doors, the unsmoothed floor there is where my trade depot is (for now) and the ledge above is lined with statues. The walkway in will be lined with statues too, eventually. I may put more statues along the top edges of the walls. I do plan to move the depot inside at some point.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:26:31 pm »

I prefer digging in to the side of a cliff, playing almost like its the 2D version, however the Z levels can cause some FPS issues.

My second most common fort is simply digging straight down, all the way to the bottom of the map. Its a 2x2 stairway, with the bulk of the fortress on a single level with the most valuable stone layer. The bottom most level is refuse and the catacombs.

I then use all that stone to build a keep above ground. This is where the military lives and trains, and where the trade depot is.

Morr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 08:20:31 pm »

I switch around whever I feel like doing something different.

Usually build a small fort on top of a peak of somekind connected with a bridge and dig down from there.

Lately though I have started making an entrance high up in the side of a mountain with a large ramp going down to the valley below with a bridge somewhere in between.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 10:20:43 pm »

I like ramps more than stairs, even where they are less convenient to use.
So my main tunnel goes all the way down with ramps, and on each floor there are sideways to working and living areas and the like.

Like that:

____
    \
     \   _
      \_|+|_                        floor 1
            \
             \   _
              \_|+|_                floor 2
                    \
                     \   _
                      \_|+|_        floor 3

A "+" means door into the sideway (away from the picture vertical plane)

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 10:24:24 pm »

I tend to make a basic boring efficient fort and then use that a base of operations while I make a better fort elsewhere.  Then I close off the old map and move into the new one.  ^_^

Right now I am mining out a large map to make into an undergrounD dome map.
Pages: [1] 2 3