Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: City of Heroes  (Read 4147 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: City of Heroes
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2009, 08:54:18 pm »

Tanking...styles?

How hard is it to stand there and get hit?
Tanking refers to the 'class' not the act of tanking. Plus there are tons of tank power combos, so your style of gameplay varies.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 07:34:25 am »

What Soulwind means by Tanking Styles is that there are more then one way to Tank.

Tanks are basically the people who take the damage for the party.

In theory a character who cannot be hit when attacked... is in a way a Tank.

Though the term "Tank" is starting to become a bit outdated in newer MMORPGs where there is so much flexability that really... it can start to describe most of the classes.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2009, 10:00:08 am »

That... that is the greatest arcade game I've ever seen. Somebody needs to translate the concept into an online game, and allow individual player-run servers. So we could have a strictly Bay 12 version.

Also, back on topic for CoH for this post, I'm getting to pick my first travel power soon. A friend of mine wants to go with Super Speed and Fly, but doesn't know if they stack. I'm probably going to take Super Jump and eventually Super Speed (because I'll want Hasten, anyway!)

I'm pretty sure the latter two stack, but not positive. Anyone who played, what travel power did you like the best? I hope Super Jump has some base speed increase by itself...

I'm pretty sure Super Speed is overall the fastest travel power, but it needs a bit of foresight in choosing your path (also when you subscribe you get Jump Pack power that lets you pretty much fly for a short duration (about 30 seconds) every 3 minutes or so, which is good if you just have no way of getting over an obstacle such as a big cliff). Flying is for the most lazy since you just point in the direction you want to go, but is also slow, but it can be used tactically against some foes in combat I think. Superjump is faster than flying and easier to go offroad than Super Speed.

When using the jump pack, the starting running speed does matter, with Super Speed I can leap big distances, so I assume Super Jump takes advantage of that, unless it already has a set starting speed.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 10:24:34 am »

No, I meant the class/archetype. Tanks and Brutes.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2009, 10:42:57 am »

Tanking refers to the 'class' not the act of tanking. Plus there are tons of tank power combos, so your style of gameplay varies.

Gotcha. Still, I'm curious...why would anyone want to get beaten up or force to dodge or act as distraction all the time? It doesn't really sound fun for the Tankee.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2009, 01:06:30 pm »

Gotcha. Still, I'm curious...why would anyone want to get beaten up or force to dodge or act as distraction all the time? It doesn't really sound fun for the Tankee.

Why would anyone want to play the Engineer all the time in TF2?  And yet tons of people do.  Tanking can be a certain kind of relaxing, though it's still hard work.  Uh, in a good way.  At least as good of a way as the other classes.

What Soulwind means by Tanking Styles is that there are more then one way to Tank.

Tanks are basically the people who take the damage for the party.

In theory a character who cannot be hit when attacked... is in a way a Tank.

Though the term "Tank" is starting to become a bit outdated in newer MMORPGs where there is so much flexability that really... it can start to describe most of the classes.

Or you could look back at old MUDs, which also had that flexibility...heh.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »

The tank doesn't just stand still doing nothing. They do some damage, but more importantly, they have to check when someone (who is not a tank) is getting raped, and use some sort of ability to recover said aggro - like a taunt or something. And as I said they do hit the enemies also, and they don't exactly do pathetic damage, depending on the power sets, only less than dedicated attackers.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2009, 05:49:11 pm »

My tanker does fine damage, he just runs out of endurance ridiculously quickly (Invulnerability / Energy Melee. Regeneration or Willpower might have been better choices, but oh well.)

Are you limited in chosen power pools? The reason also taking Super Speed seemed like a good idea is that taking Hasten (one possible prerequisite for super speed) is an incredibly useful skill (but not while my endurance is so limited.)

Tanking is fun. We took on a Rikti invasion last night in Virtue, and got in a bit over our heads. Still, despite pitiful damage output I had five of them all beating on me and I wasn't even using my inspirations to stay alive. Fun!

Anyone who still has this, we could make a group of superdwarves on one server, too. That'd be fun. A lot of the super powers cater toward the more renowned dwarves of time past. Willpower, Invulnerability, War Mace, Super Reflexes, Regeneration... though most of us would be scrappers and tankers then.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2009, 05:56:40 pm »

My mistake about Hasten, I had the progression wrong.  By level 50, you get four power pools, plus the epic pool.  I wouldn't worry too much about it's effect on endurance, since constant powers only lower your replenishment.  Just horde Inspirations.

I could get on board with a Dwarven supergroup.  Maybe a Villains alternate group, and go crazy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »

Or you could look back at old MUDs, which also had that flexibility...heh

Not really in the same respect I was refering to. I mean Technically Ultima Online you were capable of being a Mage Warrior as well (Though the game BARELY had what you could call "Tanks")

Take World of Warcraft... The only classes that can't tank are Mages and MAYBE Warlocks. (and maybe Shammans)

Priests, Druids, Warriors, Paladins, Shammans (somewhat), and Hunters all have their tanking moments. (Especially hunters in PVE where they can take on elites solo with little problem)

They are kinda learning that people actually like endurance in their characters and thus games are changing to incorperate this change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2009, 09:07:10 am »

Are you limited in chosen power pools?
You can only chose skills from 4 separate power pools.
Most pools are crap so it's not such a big deal. Fitness is sort of important.

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »

I have a Mastermind at level 23-24. With robots and a laser rifle. Also, the game well and truly kicks ass, for me atleast, when you're in a group with a lot of Masterminds. I can honestly not remember the last time I got so much exp in such a short period of time.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2009, 07:15:37 pm »

Hell yeah.  Me and a couple friends are trying to put together an all thugs/pain masterminds supergroup.  Already with just two or three of them we stomp all over mob groups a couple levels above us without breaking a sweat.

Our hope is to get 8 thugs masterminds at level 18, so we can all hit Gang War at the same time.

"WARRIORS!  Can... You... Dig It?"
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2009, 03:02:15 am »

I recently respeced and reslotted my level 39 SS/Energy Brute.  Now he's practically invincible, until he runs out of endurance.

Unfortunately, his health regenerates faster than his endurance with his defence toggles on.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2009, 03:14:30 am »

No, I meant the class/archetype. Tanks and Brutes.

Just to contribute next to nothing, Masterminds are (theoretically) the Villainous tanks.

Well, I don't think personally there is a Villain side answer to the Tankers. Brutes are tougher than scrappers but not as tough as Tankers.

Masterminds are themselves not that tough, but their minions can last a while if they are used 'passively', it really depends what is going against them. Masterminds also have a limited ability to buff and heal their minions.

Arch Villains with Area of Effect attacks make for very sore Masterminds. For example.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5