Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: City of Heroes  (Read 4158 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
City of Heroes
« on: March 13, 2009, 03:28:52 pm »

Rarr CoH topic.

I saw a post about WoW. Instead of hijacking it (I really really wanted to hijack it tho. maybe I still will) I decided to post here.

I just bought this last week, after playing the trial, finding out I couldn't buy it from South America, having a temper tantrum on the official forums, then jumping through hooks and contacting some sort of store that has the game in stock, sells it to you, rips open the box and sends you a scan of the scratched CD key, then throws it away (maybe uses it as coasters, I don't know) I managed to buy a copy.

So far I find it a very enjoyable game, great for casual play. Almost no grind (grinding barely gives you XP compared to just teaming up with people of higher levels and solving a mission at max difficulty even if it wipes the floor with you). No real inventory management - you're superheroes, frak that buying armor and weapon stuff. Except for enhancements, which are more like power plugins and totally disposable.

I simply love the way you can team a lvl 5 char with a lvl 20 superhero as a Sidekick (you become a lvl 19 superhero while in his close proximity, and all your powers are upgraded likewise, but you don't get to buy more powers as if you had leveled).

Ok, well, I love a monologue and all but time for others to reply. Who plays this game? Who is playing this game right now? What do you like about it? What do you dislike (compared to other MMOs). Also if you're interested in teaming up or having an extra member in your supergroup ;) let me know. I'm playing a lvl 25-30 ish rawr furry tiger man with wolverine claws and super dodge skills in Freedom (called The Frenetic Feline).

Cheers.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: City of Heroes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 03:29:45 pm »

Oh yeah if you play CoV this is also for ya. I don't have any chars in it yet but I tried it on the trial and was pretty much the same thing, except I didn't like the depressing maps.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:33:06 pm »

I used to play it, too much grind for my taste. Even if the grind lasts less than what it does with WoW.

The main problem is that the pvp sucks.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »

I'm on Guild Wars, but that doesn't help you much.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 03:59:31 pm »

Have a CoH key but don't subscribe. My attention is grabbed by the spiritual successor, Champions Online now. Love the concept of the Nemesis system - design your own custom enemy, his motivations and his henchmen

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 04:01:37 pm »

I used to play it, too much grind for my taste. Even if the grind lasts less than what it does with WoW.

The main problem is that the pvp sucks.

That's not what I've heard.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:00:44 pm »

Every game has grind.  The trick is to make the grind entertaining.  CoH does this somewhat well by giving you cool abilities, being relatively fast paced, and of course the awesome sidekicking system.  Makes playing with dedicated friends completely worthwhile.

There's also a feature called the Experience Pact, or something like that.  Two characters below lvl5 can enter into a pack where any experience either gains, will be multiplied and shared between them.  It's awesome for soloing, because two people can play at different times, but you both get the experience.  I've got a friend who regularly logs 24hours straight, so it works fine for me.

I just got into the game a couple weeks ago, after abandoning it more than a year ago.  It's a lot more fun than it used to be for anyone who tried it out before.

I'm on the Freedom server (like everyone else gah lag), with a scrapper, stalker, and an awesome mastermind, all around lvl10 now.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »

I played CoV and it seemed pretty slow to me, honestly.  Wasn't much excitement in getting new abilities...wasn't any, in fact.  And the loot was just a weird system that I didn't end up getting any enjoyment out of.  Maybe it's better at high levels, I only played for a couple weeks.

The world was marginally interesting, but the solo missions I played got old REALLY fast.  The only fun things were going on rampages in this mode where you have a certain time limit to cause a bunch of havoc and steal something...you'd get an extra time bonuses for property damage, so it was a lot of fun to blow up police cars, and smash Dumpsters and mailboxes just because you CAN.  But that got pretty old after long enough too.

CoH, which I started after CoV, seemed empty and like a much less interesting setting.  The places I went to where there were longer, more involved things (something battlefield-like) bored me into quitting.

I did enjoy making costumes and bending standards of common decency.  My favorite villain I made was the "Rough Diver".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 05:41:43 pm »

I have a few 50s. My main server was virtue, but I'm not playing anymore, like I've said...

Have a CoH key but don't subscribe. My attention is grabbed by the spiritual successor, Champions Online now. Love the concept of the Nemesis system - design your own custom enemy, his motivations and his henchmen
I've been playing CO since alpha, I have a spare key if you'd like to try it.

Btw, I don't like it much either, but for other reasons... But I must say the alpha has been amazing, the game changed a whole lot during the process and it was awesome to see my ideas implemented.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:51:43 pm »

Wait...  Did the OP say "The game is great!  Playing it doesn't get you anything, but if you follow around people much higher level than you, you get great XP, even if you aren't contributing?"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »

Wait...  Did the OP say "The game is great!  Playing it doesn't get you anything, but if you follow around people much higher level than you, you get great XP, even if you aren't contributing?"

That's my type of game.  :D
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 05:57:29 pm »

Btw, I don't like it much either, but for other reasons... But I must say the alpha has been amazing, the game changed a whole lot during the process and it was awesome to see my ideas implemented.
So you had a hand in the thing?

What specifically was influenced by you?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 05:59:39 pm »

The OP was pimping a feature where a higher level player can temporarily boost a lower level player to his level.

That lower level player gets his stats and powers upgraded for the duration, but doesn't get NEW powers--so you end up with less cool stuff overall and you don't have the versatility of a truly higher powered player, while still mostly keeping up in damage and in not dying.  Still, it IS a fun way to party with your friend who is lower level than you.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 06:00:34 pm »

Sowelu:
Granite26 was referring to this:
So far I find it a very enjoyable game, great for casual play. Almost no grind (grinding barely gives you XP compared to just teaming up with people of higher levels and solving a mission at max difficulty even if it wipes the floor with you).
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 06:05:04 pm »

Oh.  Nevermind, then.  That blows...and now that I think about it, I remember being annoyed by that.  At least the higher level folks don't really lose any XP from being leeched off of I think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5