Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making enemies & assasinations?  (Read 1458 times)

Mykkam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Making enemies & assasinations?
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:12:35 pm »

I am currently trying a challenge called "Assassination", but i have hita few snags...

first of all i cannot find backpacks and water skins in the "prepare for journey" section.
second of all i show up in the middle of the goblin town... and no one takes notice, how do i get the goblins ot notice me/attack me right away?
lastly how can i get my squad to target a goblin (or any specific target for that matter)?

All this information will help me this game, and a whole lot of other DF challenges out there.
Thanks for all the help

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
Re: Making enemies & assasinations?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:21:05 pm »

I think embarking on a civ's site will always result in friendly citizens in the current version, something which has annoyed me before. Friendly people cannot be targeted by the military... so I don't think there's any way of making this work... =[

Also, having a quick look, I don't think backpacks and waterskins are available on embark. They can be made quite quickly if you bring leather along, but otherwise not.

I think I heard that if the goblin civilisation is at war with your civilisation, then you're in with a chance (if it says WAR on the screen when you look at civilisations and picking a site?), but I've never been able to do it myself. =/ Sorry I can't provide much help.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 04:30:14 pm »

I think embarking on a civ's site will always result in friendly citizens in the current version, something which has annoyed me before. Friendly people cannot be targeted by the military... so I don't think there's any way of making this work... =[

Since when has that stopped anyone? Cave-ins, spikes, water, and magma will all kill them, whether they think of themselves as friendly or not.

Hostilities will also open as you kill babysnatchers, ambush squads, and sieges.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:31:39 pm »

True, but I think the point of the Assassination challenge is to embark and slaughter the populace... or as much of them as possible... with a military...

Could be wrong though, never tried it. =]

Sure, you can kill them all in other ways... hey, sapper team! Collapse their towers! Now that would be fun.
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:34:34 pm »

Sure, you can kill them all in other ways... hey, sapper team! Collapse their towers! Now that would be fun.
I've actually done that once. It was fun.

And messy.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 05:17:22 pm »

Actually, starting on an another civ tile does not guarantee friendly responses.

I've started on a goblin tower and they were enemies from the get go. Somewhat anti-climactic as there were only about twenty goblins, most of them drunks.

If you want to be sure, check to see if the civ is already an enemy before you start out.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:18:26 pm »

Is that the factor that swings it, then? If the civilisation is at war with yours they'll be aggressive?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 08:09:58 pm »

Is that the factor that swings it, then? If the civilisation is at war with yours they'll be aggressive?
Yeah, but in vanilla DF it's only likely with the elves. Less likely with humans (I don't think I've ever seen dwarves/humans at war with each other after world gen, actually), and not possible with goblins.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »

Yeah, but in vanilla DF it's only likely with the elves. Less likely with humans (I don't think I've ever seen dwarves/humans at war with each other after world gen, actually), and not possible with goblins.

Really? Then how did Paulus Fahlstrom get enemy goblins?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 11:09:36 pm »

Really? Then how did Paulus Fahlstrom get enemy goblins?
Edit the raws. Taking out one tag from the goblins will make them behave like the other races ([BABYSNATCHER], I think, but I'm not 100% sure)
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 11:18:11 pm »

What about an old good method - removing their ability to speak?

Musluk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 12:44:30 am »

Remove [INTELLIGENT]. Add [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN]. Since they can't speak, they'll never go for diplomacy route and be at war all the time. [BABYSNATCHER] is more important if you're trying to provoke more sieges with gobbos in a remote fortress IIRC.

Or use the orc mod. :P
Fe3g12 - the fourth iron ore.
The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone he can blame it on.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 01:35:14 am »

Actually, starting on an another civ tile does not guarantee friendly responses.

I've started on a goblin tower and they were enemies from the get go. Somewhat anti-climactic as there were only about twenty goblins, most of them drunks.

If you want to be sure, check to see if the civ is already an enemy before you start out.

you didn't do this in 40d9. or any version of 40d, as far as i know. currently if you embark on any civ site, the native will be friendly.