Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forge quality/max temperature  (Read 2245 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Forge quality/max temperature
« on: March 13, 2009, 01:58:46 pm »

So. Basically, in real life, forges can only get so hot. This is actually the driving force in forge designs--you have to make a very hot fire, keep the hot in the fire, and be able to put metals in and take metals out. There is also the question of temperature control, which is important for making swords and anything that needs to bend and not break.

My suggestion is that much later in the development, we have the forges you construct be rated in terms of max temperature, which takes into account time and skill of the designer, the quality of materials used in construction, and ventilation. Then specific forges would be used to forge specific metals. Perhaps if temperature control makes it in, then you could have one forge used to shape metal, and another for tempering metal. This would require splitting up forging into seperate "mini-jobs" that would all come under the heading of "forging sword."

This makes those willing to go the extra mile to make steel swords have to work a little harder on the construction side. But it also allows attentive players to set up a more complex industry that would possibly streamline tasks. Players who don't care for this could just set up everything to be able to make steel swords, and take the hit in terms of construction times.

So. Tell me why this shouldn't go in.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Forge quality/max temperature
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 02:00:44 pm »

Needless micromanagement. I'd prefer more workshops open to the raws before something like this.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 02:15:37 pm »

I would think that this could be covered under the umbrella of workshop quality and anvil quality (ok, I know it isn't the anvil's quality, but useful abstraction).

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 02:26:59 pm »

If only one of the two gets in, then it could be covered under forge quality.

Also, remember that we're eventually moving away from predefined workshops to rooms with workshop materials.

As a note, my reason for wanting this is because I want some in-game reason that dwarves can use steel while everyone else is stuck with iron. I also want to make adamantine tough to work with. I'm trying to come up with game-reasons why everything wouldn't always be top quality other than RNG, and adding cost this way would help.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 02:55:47 pm »

Also, remember that we're eventually moving away from predefined workshops to rooms with workshop materials.

You hope...

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 03:09:18 pm »

You hope...

Is there any official comment from Toady about this?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 03:14:50 pm »

Not that I've seen

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:53:40 pm »

I rather like it. But how do you mix it with magma workshops?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:04:12 pm »

I rather like it. But how do you mix it with magma workshops?

I like it too. I want to see forging get more micro, because it's a main aspect of the game.

If you don't want to mess with it, fine, but people who put more effort into different aspects of the game, should get rewarded for those efforts. Otherwise, it might as well be pac-man.

Pilsu's got a good question, though.
For they would be your masters.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 05:57:12 pm »

It seems reasonable to cap magma at a certain quality level (gamewise).  Like Forge = Ok, Magma = Good, Masterwork Forge = Great.

Justify by saying that the magma is raw, TOO hot, and you don't really have sufficient control over it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 06:45:14 pm »

Good idea, Granite26.

What different types of forges did they have back then, that could be applied to DF in an interesting way?

I'm too lazy to look right now.
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:22:37 pm »

It seems reasonable to cap magma at a certain quality level (gamewise).  Like Forge = Ok, Magma = Good, Masterwork Forge = Great.

Justify by saying that the magma is raw, TOO hot, and you don't really have sufficient control over it.

If you want to actually consider DF-style magma, it's not hot enough. Think about it, nickel and iron shouldn't even be able to be melted using the stuff. Of course, magma smelting has other problems anyway itself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 07:32:57 pm »

If you want to actually consider DF-style magma, it's not hot enough. Think about it, nickel and iron shouldn't even be able to be melted using the stuff. Of course, magma smelting has other problems anyway itself.

On the other hand, you don't actually have to melt the metal to forge it.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 07:53:32 pm »

Well, for forges, yeah, but I was talking about magma furnaces as a whole, smelters included.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »

I thought toady had said something about moving to room-based workshops, but maybe not.

Aaanyways. Forges (Both now and then) are made by having a very insulated fire surrounded on all but one side with insulating bricks. Oxygen would be pumped in through one of the insulated sides (which works, as the air that goes in keeps that side insulated more-or-less) and smoke drafted away from the top, which was open. Not sure about smelters.
Pages: [1] 2