Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forge quality/max temperature  (Read 2241 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Forge quality/max temperature
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 02:27:05 pm »

Also, remember that we're eventually moving away from predefined workshops to rooms with workshop materials.

You hope...

Is there any official comment from Toady about this?

There's this:

# Bloat19, FLUID WORKSHOPS, (Future): More fluid multi-purpose workshops, where you can do simple tasks in a general purpose shop, but you can add tools to make more specialized objects with bonuses.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 06:08:26 pm »

Smelters? I beleive that they are like pizza ovens, with ore shoveled in from one side, a fire underneath, with an insulated door, only with channels to get the molten metal.  I think.  The metal will run out of the smelter into a bar mould. Or other mould, such as for massive bars of pig iron.  Usually drawn into sand.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 07:50:02 pm »

That's highly incorrect.

The thing is, there's a difference between melting and smelting, and the latter involves much more than the former.

For smelting, you need to actually chemically process the ore in the fire. This is done using carbon, from, say, the wood being burned to fuel the operation.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49:40 pm »

Oh well. I'm stupid, so sue me.  (Did I spell "sue" right?)

Magma has carbon in it. No duh. But I think it is more silica style stuffs.  The goopier, the more sand. (not sand, just silicates, or something. I believe the discovery channel.)

I just realized I just said absolutely nothing.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 04:26:26 am »

I really doubt magma has free carbon in it. Think about it: Elemental carbon burns. Easily. That's why we use coal, and other forms of it, like graphite, also burn. Hell, even diamonds burn if you get them hot enough. So nah, I can't really imagine magma having free-floating graphite in it or anything.

Granted, for smelting purposes you can also use carbon monoxide and maybe some other relatively-reactive carbon compounds or something, but I doubt any of that is going to survive the conditions found in molten rock... plus I don't think you'd want to be adding random molten rock to your ore anyhow.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 08:49:55 am »

Perhaps magma smelters would use sawdust and wood chips to get their carbon--you wouldn't need anything special, since the heat is already supplied.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 05:54:25 pm »

I like it too. I want to see forging get more micro, because it's a main aspect of the game.

I believe that if you actually ask other players (like myself) that forging is NOT the main aspect of the game. You can make obsidian swords, wood/bone crossbows and bolts, leather armor and wooden/glass trap components that make forging and smelting completely unnecessary.

I would consider a "main aspect of the game" wouldn't be so easy to work around.

Keeping dwarves happy, defending against wild animals/thieves/seiges, production in general... those are main aspects of the game. Forging is a subset of a main aspect.

The beauty of DF is that it's different things to different people.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 03:43:43 am »

Yes. You'll note I said *a* main aspect.

I'm fine with that being an opinion, and not a statement of fact.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 [2]