Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigrant recruiter  (Read 1237 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigrant recruiter
« on: March 13, 2009, 01:34:34 pm »

I just had a crazy idea, and couldn't find anything about it in a search. What if, instead of immigrants just randomly deciding to relocate to your festering hole of miasma, they came onto your map traveling with the dwarven caravan. Instead of immediately wanting to join your fortress, you would have a new noble job that's essentially PR. The dwarf assigned to it would have different settings, much like a bookkeeper, telling him how many immigrants he should try to recruit to stay at the fortress. The nicer your place (the less rotting bodies lying around etc.) and the higher his skill, the easier his job would be. I dunno, maybe it makes things needlessly complicated, but I think it might be cool.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrant recruiter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:39:43 pm »

It's certainly a novel way to handle it

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 03:23:19 pm »

Generally, I don't think that dwarves are going to make the expensive trek out to your fortress to see if they want to be a part of it. --~~~~
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 03:42:56 pm »

Generally, I don't think that dwarves are going to make the expensive trek out to your fortress to see if they want to be a part of it. --~~~~

Yeah, we're talking months of walking here

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »

Fine, we'll just have dwarves in cages come along with the caravan, and the trader can buy the ones he wants; afterward, you can free the slaves from their cages.  (Ignore that most fortresses are slave-populated death traps, and that such so-called freedom is thus pretty worthless.)

As a bonus, the mayor can make requests with the liason regarding which types of professions to bring next year.  Better skilled dwarves or rarer professions cost more.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 04:10:03 pm »

I was thinking more that they happen to have lost their homes for whatever reason, perhaps exiles or just young dwarves hoping to make their way in the world, and are sticking with the caravan for added protection while searching for a new place to live. It just makes more sense to me than having 20 cheesemakers and peasants suddenly show up on the border and tromp into your dining room like they own the place. It would also give some in-game control over the amount of immigrants you received. Heck, if your recruiter was legendary or whatever, it might even give you the chance to recruit a couple guards.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 04:13:17 pm »

Immigrants arriving with the caravan would be good, preferably with some belongings of their own but there should be a better way of handling them than that

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 04:24:51 pm »

maybe we can offer some goods of dwarfs with set skills as pay to come to the fort.
but if you dont give them it within 1 month thay get angry.
i.e.you tell the outpost Liaison that you offer
you own room with a chair and a chest to the first/all dwarf with X skill.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:36:35 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 04:42:45 pm »

Oh, this'll make game fun.

How about that described noble could set guidelines on who you want in, like no milkers, or no soap makers, maybe you ask for some smithies, or request a person with some set of skills ( buy a proficient hammerdwarf, that can shoot a mean kinetic missile ) .

And funk, maybe you could give him rights to the quality food, or quality things.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:44:19 pm by Foa »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 04:45:17 pm »

maybe we can offer some goods of dwarfs with set skills as pay to come to the fort.
but if you dont give them it within 1 month thay get angry.
i.e.you tell the outpost Liaison that you offer
you own room with a chair and a chest to the first/all dwarf with X skill.

Hmm, I like that. It would go well with the concept of skills being more difficult to train or a master/apprentice relationship being implemented. Heh, the idea of sending messages and advertisements back with the liaison made me think of a faster dwarven "pony express" once mounts are fixed. That could be taking things a bit far, though :P

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 06:01:41 pm »

I was thinking more that they happen to have lost their homes for whatever reason, perhaps exiles or just young dwarves hoping to make their way in the world, and are sticking with the caravan for added protection while searching for a new place to live. It just makes more sense to me than having 20 cheesemakers and peasants suddenly show up on the border and tromp into your dining room like they own the place. It would also give some in-game control over the amount of immigrants you received. Heck, if your recruiter was legendary or whatever, it might even give you the chance to recruit a couple guards.

Might be easier if you remember your fort is an outpost of your kingdom.  It's not Mexicans showing up in San Diego, it's New Yorkers stepping off the boat into Fairbanks (or really, a very small Alaska town)