Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 5892 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 12:06:44 pm »

I didn't read the comic book, and didn't really like the movie that much

I'm recommending everyone not to pay ten dollars for it
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

I'm recommending everyone not to pay ten dollars for it

I payed 13.  >:(

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 01:24:31 pm »

I thought it was pretty cool, definately interested in the book/graphic novel/whatever you'd call it.

And i payed 12, for 2 tickets.  ;D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 12:31:55 am »

I beat you all, I payed two dollars and snuck in my own snacks.

On top of that I liked the movie.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 04:48:44 am »

Watched it for free.  Payed for by the school.

Didn't eat snacks.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 07:26:02 am »

I think the primary reason for the notion of psychics in the original book came about due to the original concept of the story existing in the DC universe. I think the parallels between the primary characters of Watchmen and the DC universe are clear enough for most people to pick out.
!!&!!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 08:35:05 am »

I think the primary reason for the notion of psychics in the original book came about due to the original concept of the story existing in the DC universe. I think the parallels between the primary characters of Watchmen and the DC universe are clear enough for most people to pick out.

Apparently they are literally analogs of comic heroes they bought from Charleston comics (read the wiki) but it really seems like they work as the archetypes of heroes.  (not just DC, but superheroes in general.  The inhuman alien, the military everyman, the rich everyman, the streetwise rogue everyman, the genius, the hot chick with no personality.)  Few don't fit into (at least) on of those categories.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 10:37:42 pm »

*bump*

S/O and I bought the book on the 14th and saw the movie on the 21st. I liked both. I thought the movie was generally pretty well done. Casting was pretty good all around. Dreiberg/Nite Owl was perfect, and the COmedian fit pretty well too. I think they could have done a better job with Veidt/Ozymandias. The guy in the role was just too scrawny. He came off somewhat more pompous than confident too, but then
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The woman playing Silk Spectre II was a bit bland.

I was worried about how they would handle Rorschach's mask. Gotta say that the effect for that was fantastic.

A ton of stuff egarding the ending.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 10:44:50 pm »

I saw it a little more than a week ago. Ozymandias was my favorite character, probably because of his name, the fact that he saves the earth by killing 15 million people, and because I got all of the Egyptian references. Like Ozymandias being an alternate name for Ramses II.

I didn't like Silk Specter and Nite Owl. They were annoying. That sex scene? Rorschach should have come out of nowhere and kicked their asses for having sex outside of marriage.

Actually, 3 hours of Rorschach just beating the shit out of people would have made the movie fantastic.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 01:00:04 am »

This post contains Minor Spoilers. If you do not want to have your movie-watching experience spoiled, do not read this, and scroll further down.
(You have been warned)

As a whole, I found the Watchmen movie interesting, because it didn't soften anything. The scenes that dealt with violent and gorey things were... well, violent and gorey. It presented fights, injuries, murder, rape, dismemberment, etc. just as it would look in reality, with appropriate levels of violence, blood, jagged and protruding bones, etc. Sex scenes were shown as two people having sex, without relying on artfully filmed shadows, cut-aways, or shots of clothing strewn on the floor. Also, in a few scenes, Dr. Manhattan was shown fully nude. This was doubly cool because it flies in the face of the double-standard about nudity in the movie industry. It's apparently okay for a woman to be completely naked in American cinema, but men are hardly EVER shown in the nude.

I think my least favorite part about the movie was the soundtrack. I would have loved an original soundtrack, with music written in the style of the 1960's. I'd even have been happy with a classical soundtrack, but instead, I got my brother's iPod playlist. Aside from picking what were quite possibly the most cliche songs ever for every scene (Dr. Manhattan discombobulating Vietnamese soldiers to the tune of Flight of the Valkyrie, for instance), they had some really awful choices of music. For the sex scene set aboard Archie, they could have used any of the great covers of Hallelujah done by other artists, but they picked the original.... the most grating and convulsive and god awfully harsh version of Hallelujah ever. Don't get me wrong: it's a great set of lyrics, but other musicians have done it so much better.

My least favorite character was probably the Comedian. Ignoring the fact that he was an asshole in every conceivable way (since it was a part of his character), his acting seemed wooden and forced. I could see that he was being an ass, but everything he did wasn't very believeable... in the flashback scene where he attempted to rape Silk Spector I., he went from conversational to OMG MUST COPULATE in a matter of seconds. He definitely acted like an asshole, but he didn't genuinely feel like one.

I think Dr. Manhattan was my favorite character of the movie. He was so kind and soft-spoken, and yet was undoubtedly the most powerful character. Also, there were points when you see that he has trouble understanding humans, being so far removed from the human experience, and yet then there are times when his emotions and humanity is obvious, in very poignant ways. He was a great character with great depth, and the actor gave an extremely solid performance on his part.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:16:59 am by Solifuge »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:15 am »

I think Dr. Manhattan was my favorite character of the movie. He was so kind and soft-spoken, and yet was undoubtedly the most powerful character.

Ozymandias manipulated Dr. Manhattan into being a scapegoat for all of humanity. And he found a way to stop Dr. Manhattan from looking into the future. And he saved the world. In terms of getting shit done, Ozymandias > All.

And Rorschach has more star power than either of them, so he's the most powerful in the real world anyway. His legions of fans could beat up Dr. Manhattan's legions of fans.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 03:14:02 am »

Also, Rorschach fans tend to surprise the Dr. Manhattan fans by jumping out of their refrigerators.

And the Ozymandias fans are too busy hanging at the club with Bowie and the Village People to care.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 04:24:01 pm »

The entire prison bit was awesome, especially Ntie owl and silk spectre breaking their way into the prison to see rochach calmly walking into the restroom. The 'humanising' rochach by making him condier his mask his true face was a move of genius.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 04:25:50 pm »

The entire prison bit was awesome, especially Ntie owl and silk spectre breaking their way into the prison to see rochach calmly walking into the restroom. The 'humanising' rochach by making him condier his mask his true face was a move of genius.

wat
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 04:53:43 pm »

Took me a while too, before I discovered that "condier" apparently means "called".

He is, of course, praising the movie on the book's strengths.

Speaking of which, I think they screwed up that scene.  They showed a little too much of Rorschach closing in on Big Figure, instead of simply closing the door and letting our minds work out all the details.  And didn't the book only show water coming out of the bathroom?  Made me think that Rorschach drowned Big Figure in one of the toilets (perfectly reasonable death).  Instead, it looked like he was chumming for Jaws.
Pages: 1 [2] 3